ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
reply to Arrgh Gee 6

Re: Should I run RG6 or skip it?

said by Arrgh Gee 6 :

Get quad-shield.

For the typical in-home wall runs, this isn't necessary or even useful.

Ostracus

join:2011-09-05
Henderson, KY
Indeed. Is there that much a price differential? I ask because my supplier only has quad.

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27
reply to ke4pym
said by ke4pym:

said by Arrgh Gee 6 :

Get quad-shield.

Actually, with the higher speed data, and having choice what room to locate a cablemodem, quadshield is the ONLY choice.

I'd pull a fish tape with each incase something else is needed in those rooms...but that is me.
--
Splat

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
·ooma
·VOIPO
·Verizon Broadban..

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by cableties:

said by ke4pym:

said by Arrgh Gee 6 :

Get quad-shield.

Actually, with the higher speed data, and having choice what room to locate a cablemodem, quadshield is the ONLY choice.

I'd pull a fish tape with each incase something else is needed in those rooms...but that is me.

Perhaps if you live next to a TV transmitter or if there is a $3 difference between DS and QS cable or you're buying less-than-high-quality-cable-from-China (read: copper-claded center core). The better built DS cable will smoke the cheaper built QS stuff floating around on the web in the interference rejection department. Or you're running 300-500 foot runs (which then you should step up to RG11).

Otherwise, there's no need for QS in a home.

As far as data speed - DirecTV recommends RG6 solid-copper-center-conductor dual-shield with 60% braid coverage or better, swept-tested to 3 GHz. Even though they only use about 2.1GHz of that. Your cable modem isn't going to get anywhere *close* to using that kind of bandwidth (DOCSIS 3, with 8 channels used is only using 48MHz of bandwidth).

As for personal experience, I've installed 3, 1000 foot rolls of Perfect Vision DS and have yet to have a problem. With any of it.

edit - I, apparently don't know the difference between your and you're. Fixed it.

edit #2 - Comment on cable modem BW and here's a very good read on QS/DS cables:
»www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/···ding.htm

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12
said by ke4pym:

(DOCSIS 3, with 8 channels used is only using 48MHz of bandwidth)

While your modem might only use a 48MHz wide chunk, that doesn't mean it isn't located north of 700MHz or the cable company is only using a single group of 8 channels.

+1 to the "don't by cheap Chinese junk cable" though

/M

join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to ke4pym
said by ke4pym:

The CATV sub-contractors (Comcast) I have had to deal with will not connect to pre-wired coax that is not quad.

join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL

1 recommendation

reply to ke4pym
said by ke4pym:

Perhaps if you live next to a TV transmitter or if there is a $3 difference between DS and QS cable or you're buying less-than-high-quality-cable-from-China (read: copper-claded center core).

For what it is worth the majority of RG-6 utilizes BCCS Bare Copper Covered Steel which is required to provide the strength needed for the center conductor to be used as a plug when terminated with an F connector?

The reason the BSSC works is RF does not flow through the center conductor but actually travels down the copper plating by what is known as the skin effect.

This is an example of what I am referring to, it’s a name brand coax (branded Honeywell) and note the rare earth magnet stuck to the center conductor.

Another example is attached.

»www.belden.com/techdatas/metric/9116.pdf

To be quite frank, about the only time a solid copper conductor is required is with CCTV cabling where it is needed handle the baseband frequencies of a video signal.