All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
loydp
join:2013-04-05
Easley, SC

loydp

1000 feet from the road - how do I access cable?

Looking for any input on how to get cable to my house.

Charter cable is the local service provider and I want to get their internet / TV package.

I live 700 feet from the road where their overhead line is located.

The cable route from the road to the house will be around 1000 feet.

Charter is asking over $7000+ to run the line to my house and there is no negotiating on my digging the trench or doing any part of the work. They charge you the installation fee if your home is more than 300 from the road - having them install the line is out.

I have a clear line of site over the 700 feet from my home to my driveway entrance.

Is it possible and economically feasible to have Charter drop a line at my drive entrance and from there I could setup a point to point wireless to beam the signal to my house. I can get electric at my drive entrance to power transmitters, etc.

I understand that Charter won't be responsible for the signal after it leaves their line.

Some concerns I have are the heat and cold extremes the equipment would experience. Whether there would be an issue with the combination internet and TV signal. yada, yada.

Has anyone done this? Any suggestions or equipment specifications?

asr10k
@suddenlink.net

asr10k

Anon

You could get some fiber and do it that way or some 2.4ghz ptp gear

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

1 recommendation

beachintech to loydp

Premium Member

to loydp
No provider is going to allow you to do that on a new install. That much money means a plant extension is needed, which includes hardline, amp's, etc. to get the signal close enough to your home to turn in to a traditional drop. If you want the service, you will have to pay the fees associated.
ShiftyEffect
join:2013-04-08
Catskill, NY

ShiftyEffect to loydp

to loydp
I am in a very similar situation and just posted about it in this forum as well. If I could only get a deal with them, even signing something for x amount of years I would consider it for sure.

Good luck to you and will be watching your post and will post back if I find out anything that will help our situation.

mtnarea
@charter.com

mtnarea to loydp

Anon

to loydp
I would look in to Ubiquiti equipment and having them just install the cable internet portion where they can near the road (if it's still your property) and just running electricity and building a weather proof box to hold the modem and associated equipment. A distance of 1000 feet with a clear LoS should be no problem with getting a signal of around -50dBm which will give you no issues with getting full throughput or latency.