how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

m5comp

join:2009-08-04
Hamilton, AL

[CenturyTel] CenturyLink Routing Table Problems

I am unable to access any hiwaay.net web pages or check my hiwaay.net e-mail. I contacted Hiwaay, and they said CenturyLink is having trouble with their routing table. The problems went away for a few hours, but they are back again. I didn't call CenturyLink tech support because I doubted they would know what I was talking about.

Cidster

join:2013-04-05

Same problems. Is their DNS server down? Their tech support doesn't have any problems listed. Marion County customer here.

Twig

@centurytel.net
reply to m5comp

Addendum: Marion County Area, Brilliant here, as you are in Hamilton. I did call tech support, and they are oblivious. Either their DNS server is kaput, or a router is down somewhere. Centurylink is usually top notch for me where I live, so close to a DSL phone terminal anyway. Seeing that we live so far out in the rural areas. If a bottleneck appears in Pell City, it seems to trickle down to us here in Marion.

Twig

@centurytel.net
reply to m5comp

I think I am in the same boat as you with Centurytel and their routing table. I cannot access half the places I need to access. Even minor things like the route to the server where Facebook stores photos.... or simple things like the centurylinks own web page speed test tool. It cannot resolve the host or destination not resolved. F12 in either Chrome, or IE is really telling on what is and is not going through.

m5comp

Hamilton, AL
reply to m5comp

This is ridiculous; I can't even access centurylink.com (as opposed to centurylink.net). Is there an e-mail address for CenturyLink tech support?

Cidster

I have tried everything. I have called 3 times. They hung up on me twice. They refuse to check or escalate the issue. They won't even accept a report that there is an issue, or outage. One got mad because the lady transferred me to her, and said bye to me and hung up.

Also, the tech live chat does not work. It's obviously something wrong with their DNS server. I am almost debating to temporarily plug in a working DNS until they fix it. Usually that works, but is not an optimal solution to route traffic.

mrhoogles

join:2012-03-02
Ames, IA

wow, that's so bad it hardly sounds true, if that really is true i'm glad im moving away from them soon :3 i don't interact with them much, just long enough to get interleaving turned off then i don't talk to them for another few years.

m5comp

Hamilton, AL
reply to m5comp

It is working now; Hiwaay e-mailed me and said CenturyLink had to reboot its router in Pell City to fix the problem.

mrhoogles

@qwest.net
reply to m5comp

googleDNS or openDNS may work?

googleDNS: 8.8.8.8 , 8.8.4.4
openDNS: 208.67.222.222 , 208.67.220.220

Cidster

yes, entering an alternate DNS is somewhat a fix for the shortterm, but unfortunately is in not a long term solution, as you may end up lenghthening your internet route from the the first few locations, until it gets to the companies main Hub. Seeing that Centurytels main Hub controls most of Alabama, this is probably not a bad thing to do. Find a good DNS server, and pray it bypasses Centurytel routing tables.

CenturyLink
VIP
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID
kudos:7
reply to m5comp

Apologies to all affected by this issue last week. Our team is available at TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com if you ever need assistance. Thank you.

Joey H
@CenturyLinkHelp Team
TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com