Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MUT308
Premium
join:2001-02-07
Oakland, CA

Cannot go back to search results with Google

I do not know if this is a new "feature" in Chrome or not, but this has been happening to me on multiple computers for the past few weeks. And it is VERY annoying.

1. I open a new tab and perform a Google search.
2. I click a search result.
3. I either click the back button in the browser or on my mouse, and instead of being taken back to my search results, it takes me to the new tab.

The only way to view my just-performed search is to go to history or type in the search phrase again. Does anybody know what is going on here? It is really hampering my productivity. Not to mention, it's incredibly annoying. It did not start doing this until a few weeks ago.

Note: This occurs when I do Ctrl+T and begin typing my search, so it is performed from the search/address bar and not google.com. I have not tested this with other browsers, Mac OS X or Linux, or by searching from google.com. It happens to me in Windows 7 and 8 in a fully updated Google Chrome.

EDIT: The search does not appear in my history. I have to type the search phrase again. It has gotten me into the habit of typing a search phrase, Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C just so I can go back to my search results.

hurfy
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Spokane, WA
Reviews:
·Cutting Edge Com..

1 recommendation

Mine works, but you don't mention the OS you are using.

Wouldn't a better workaround be:
Center-click the result to get a new tab, close it when/if done and you are back at the orig search. That is how i tend to do it anyway rather go back and forth and back and forth.
Or center-click several results, close 1st when done and you are at your 2nd choice, repeat. Leave the orig tab in case all your choices sucked.

MUT308
Premium
Oakland, CA

This occurs in both Windows 7 and Windows 8 (see original post).

I totally agree with the center click thing. I am a middle clicker as well, but when I know the first result is what I want, it's silly for me to have to middle click to a new tab and then middle click the old tab when I should be able to just go back to my results.
--
SSDTweaks.net - Optimizing your SSD for Windows - »ssdtweaks.net

maubs

join:2010-02-26
Farmington, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to MUT308

You're getting stuck at an ad or redirect page between Google and the result. This happens often with Google and gets fixed often. You need to right-click the back arrow in the browser and go two pages back to get to the search result page. It will probably clear itself up in a few days.

intok

join:2012-03-15

Switch to Firefox and disable Google Instant. Problem solved.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1

said by intok:

Yeah exactly all I have used for years and never encountered anything like this....

And as Chrome is GOOGLE you would think the one place it wouldn't.

Briefly tried Chrome and THOUROUGHLY UNIMPRESSED by it on PC and Android.... Firefox and Opera far outshine it.
--

MUT308
Premium
Oakland, CA

said by Hayward:

said by intok:

Yeah exactly all I have used for years and never encountered anything like this....

And as Chrome is GOOGLE you would think the one place it wouldn't.

Briefly tried Chrome and THOUROUGHLY UNIMPRESSED by it on PC and Android.... Firefox and Opera far outshine it.

The initial reason I started using Chrome was being able to do Ctrl+L and have that direct me to both the address bar and search bar in one, whereas Firefox had Ctrl+L for one and Ctrl+K for the other. It was simply more convenient, and I found the UI less cluttered.

The Firefox shortcuts still apply these days, but since the address bar can also perform searches, it makes the issue moot. Now the reason I prefer Chrome over Firefox is because it syncs all of my bookmarks across everything - my iPad, Android phone, work PC, home PC.

@maubs - I've been aware of the redirect issue for a long time now, and while it's frustrating, I do apply the instructions you listed to get around it. The problem I'm experiencing simply eliminates the fact that the search was performed altogether. The back bar is greyed out.

I'm hoping my issue gets fixed soon!
--

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2

said by MUT308:

I'm hoping my issue gets fixed soon!

Good luck with that. Though I think Chrome developers live in a different Universe and don't care about those problems...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

MUT308
Premium
Oakland, CA
reply to MUT308

I think I have finally solved it! I found this - »productforums.google.com/forum/?···fCRGWjUI

Sure enough, Bart McMurray had the answer. Since unchecking "Predict network actions to improve page load performance," I have not had the issue reoccur.
--