join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK to bugabuga

Premium Member

to bugabuga

Re: Austin is getting Google Fiber :)

Oh that is some epic good news. Not only for Austin, obviously but because it means Google believes that Google Fiber is a viable profitable venture going forward AND WILL NOW BE EXPANDING TO OTHER CITIES.

I can't tell you how GREAT this news is. Even if you are not a fan of Google Fiber, their mere presence means other Internet providers will upgrade, lower prices, and provide better service as well as stop doing things you hate and start doing things you like. It's call competition, *REAL* competition, and this is VERY GOOD NEWS.
bugabuga
join:2004-06-10
Austin, TX

bugabuga

Yep. It also explains that letter TWC sent me with "Oh your promotion is extended for 3 more months! And we're bumping up speeds!"

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
Tulsa, OK

KrK

Premium Member

Wow, what a co-incidence! Just out of the goodness of their hearts, eh?

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy to KrK

Premium Member

to KrK
Maybe Google will be the Bell System of Fiber and expand it nationwide. Then they'll snuff out their competitors and get broken up 83 years later (the time that it took to break up AT&T/Bell System). It would be kind of nice to see Comcast broken up as they are behaving like Ma Bell.

KrK
Premium Member
Tulsa, OK

KrK

Premium Member

More ideally, they'll force competitors to upgrade, and we end up like Korea, and finally take back the Internet future.

Ok, crazy talk, I know... but I can hope.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to KrK

Premium Member

to KrK
Their expansion doesn't mean it will necessarily be profitable. If they expected it to be profitable, they would be rolling it out in many more markets and much more quickly.

My guess is that it is just another trial market and perhaps another attempt to push the incumbents. The uptake is what will determine the profitability of the service and it is still too soon to know how that will work out.

KrK
Premium Member
Tulsa, OK

KrK

Premium Member

Perhaps.... but if things were looking bleak in KC I don't think they would be willing to jump into it again. KC must be shaping up in a way they like.
Ostracus
join:2011-09-05
Henderson, KY

Ostracus to silbaco

to silbaco
Well it benefits Google when it comes to the Net Neutrality issue, and pushes the incumbents closer towards "dumb pipes".

MeInDallas
join:2001-08-17
Dallas, TX

MeInDallas to bugabuga

to bugabuga
said by bugabuga:

Yep. It also explains that letter TWC sent me with "Oh your promotion is extended for 3 more months! And we're bumping up speeds!"

I got the same one the other day lol
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

me1212 to KrK

to KrK
said by KrK:

AND WILL NOW BE EXPANDING TO OTHER CITIES.

This is the best part, hopefully all of the kc merto are gets it, along with all of the austin area and it just keeps growing from there. Sure the two markets may not be that big over all but its a good start. Its also nice to see a company giving the middle of the country some love instead of the coasts.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob to bugabuga

to bugabuga
said by bugabuga:

Why did I leave Austin? I can't seem to remember now.

Dave