share rss forum feed

paradigmfl

join:2005-07-16
Reviews:
·ooma
·Bright House Net..

1 edit

Looks like Earthlink is having some issues

I'm on Bright House cable with Earthlink and I noticed some downtime for a few minutes. On Twitter it appears there are nationwide problems. The problem possibly appeared DNS related for me so I switched to Google Public DNS within my router.

I'm unsure if it's a coincidence but upon doing that things are fine.

Here's the info for switching if someone needs it:

»developers.google.com/speed/publ ··· cs/using

antdude
A Matrix Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by paradigmfl:

I'm on Bright House cable with Earthlink and I noticed some downtime for a few minutes. On Twitter it appears there are nationwide problems. The problem possibly appeared DNS related for me so I switched to Google Public DNS within my router.

I'm unsure if it's a coincidence but upon doing that things are fine.

Here's the info for switching if someone needs it:

»developers.google.com/speed/publ ··· cs/using

Which Twitter? I didn't see any outages with #earthlink earlier.

Anyways, it's back up for others and me now after 1.5(?) hours.

»support.earthlink.net/contact/ou ··· ages.php show MANY PROBLEMS. Haha. DNS problems?

paradigmfl

join:2005-07-16
Reviews:
·ooma
·Bright House Net..
said by antdude:

»support.earthlink.net/contact/ou ··· ages.php show MANY PROBLEMS. Haha. DNS problems?

I don't think they commented about the outages last time I checked it. But a search on Twitter reveals many people talking about it.

»twitter.com/search/realtime?q=ea ··· src=typd

All I know is the very second I switched to Google Public DNS it started working again for me. It might be a coincidence but it appeared to be partially related to DNS for me.

antdude
A Matrix Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by paradigmfl:

said by antdude:

I don't think they commented about the outages last time I checked it. But a search on Twitter reveals many people talking about it.

»twitter.com/search/realtime?q=ea ··· src=typd

All I know is the very second I switched to Google Public DNS it started working again for me. It might be a coincidence but it appeared to be partially related to DNS for me.

Ah. I used my work's, OpenDNS', and not sure what my friend uses.

NCCGCC

@mycingular.net
Just spent 50 min on hold with EarthLink and got kicked back to Brighthouse because they're handling the overflow calls. Told me EarthLink is having major DNS server issues, no ETA. Advised me to disconnect my modem and wait about 90 min before trying to connect again.

tonyram57

join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY
reply to paradigmfl
I am using OpenDNS and noticed no problems. This is why I don't bother with EarthLink DNS. The thing is my router uses three DNS servers all OpenDNS.

If I was to use Google DNS which is good also it would keep falling back to Earthlink DNS because of the third address.