Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

thm655321

join:2003-09-01
Canada
reply to Theriex

Re: 150/10 timing?

Can anyone suggest a good bittorrent client other than utorrent? With the new speeds I get constant "disk overload" issues with utorrent, no matter how fast the drives are that I am writing to.

DrugTito

join:2013-01-17
canada
old drive?

what version of utorrent are you using?

there is tons of information about this on google, even how to "fix"

itsJR

join:2011-02-28
reply to rocca
Rocca, do you like Merlin vs Tomato other than speed? I'm using toastman right now on my RT-N66U and it's been amazing. QoS has been amazing on it.

Barry

join:2008-11-04
Burlington, ON
reply to DrugTito
I'll just sell the WNDR3700 instead and pick one up new. $150 isn't too bad minus whatever I get for this router.

OTIS3

join:2011-09-29
reply to XNemesis
If you can hold out til the end of June i've read the Asus RT-AC56U and 68U are incoming. They've switch to a dual core 800 mhz ARM processor. No third party firmware to start, but i think Merlin is on the case.

»forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showt···p?t=9878

»www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless···rt-ac68u

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
reply to itsJR
said by itsJR:

Rocca, do you like Merlin vs Tomato other than speed? I'm using toastman right now on my RT-N66U and it's been amazing. QoS has been amazing on it.

I switched to Merlin a few days ago because Tomato wasn't able to do much more than 75 down, after the change I get 200/10 now. I'm not using a lot of the other features, but it's been solid for me.

BThunderW

join:2010-02-16
Cambridge, ON
reply to thm655321
the problem isn't the torrent client. The problem is your disk's random IO is too slow. Torrents download multiple streams at once and your disk has trouble switching between these stream writes fast enough. Try increasing buffer size or reduce the number of simultaneous connections your torrent client uses.

DrugTito

canada
reply to OTIS3
said by OTIS3:

If you can hold out til the end of June i've read the Asus RT-AC56U and 68U are incoming. They've switch to a dual core 800 mhz ARM processor. No third party firmware to start, but i think Merlin is on the case.

Any1 wanna buy my RT-N66U? LoL

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:11
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
said by DrugTito:

said by OTIS3:

Any1 wanna buy my RT-N66U? LoL

Potentially, send me a PM.

Barry

Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
·Start Communicat..
reply to thm655321
Click for full size
It's alive!

DrugTito

canada
no ups? c mon man :P

Barry

Burlington, ON
Unfortunately that wasn't on the David Suzuki approved list.

DrugTito

canada
for what you have on that wall, you dont need anything fancy, u can get refurbished ups pretty cheap.

»www.upsforless.ca/

I would really recommend that on your fancy setup !

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to Barry
Enjoying the RT?

Barry

Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
·Start Communicat..
Very much so. Actually able to get max speed on my iPhone now and it seems a tad more responsive. Now debating using MVPS or adsuck on it. I was using MVPS on my WNDR3700 with Gargoyle, but was reading on SmallNetBuilder that it is not the best solution.

I'll think about the UPS, but the only purpose it would serve is to protect from damage from an outage. Looks a little costly just for that.

Edit: The only thing that's kind of annoying is the web interface is a little laggy.

FiberToTheX
Premium
join:2013-03-14
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to thm655321
I'm holding off till the latest RT 802.11ac model comes out. Hopefully it won't be a draft 2.0 but rather a 4.0/5.0 draft which is almost finalized.

The web interface works best under Chrome/Firefox but there is some lag. Also they should tweak the firmware so that it doesn't require a reboot every time you save a change. Otherwise it's a great router. I've worked with them before (66U , AC66U , N56U , N16 ...) and their great.

My recommendation is to try Merlin-WRT firmware and it's very easy to flash and has great enhancements and features over the Stock firmware which is what it is based off.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to thm655321
Our new 'Elite' package is now available on our web site, and available to order by phone tomorrow morning.

DrugTito

canada
What is the best release on Merlin's firmware?

What do you guys use?

Thnx

RMerlin

join:2009-10-09
Montreal, QC
said by DrugTito:

What do you guys use?

Thnx

On the RT-N66U, stick with the latest non-beta (270.26b) for best wireless stability.

On the RT-N16 and RT-AC66U, 354.29 Beta 1 should be pretty good (my main RT-AC66U at home is running on it).

Theriex

join:2010-09-19
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
I'm running 354.29 on RT-N66U and not having any problems. I don't really use wireless though.

On another note, I tried to get DD-WRT installed on it and was a no go. Tools shows CFE as 1.0.1.3. I used dd-wrt.v24-21676_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N66U.trx, which afaik is the newest. Had to use firmware recovery to get the router operational again.

CWolfCW
Premium
join:2003-07-12
said by Theriex:

I'm running 354.29 on RT-N66U and not having any problems. I don't really use wireless though.

On another note, I tried to get DD-WRT installed on it and was a no go. Tools shows CFE as 1.0.1.3. I used dd-wrt.v24-21676_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N66U.trx, which afaik is the newest. Had to use firmware recovery to get the router operational again.

You could always try one of the KONG builds: »www.desipro.de/ddwrt/

As for myself, I might actually go back to Asuswrt-Rmerlin.

said by RMerlin:

On the RT-N66U, stick with the latest non-beta (270.26b) for best wireless stability.

On the RT-N16 and RT-AC66U, 354.29 Beta 1 should be pretty good (my main RT-AC66U at home is running on it).

Although, what is the issue with wireless stability in the beta? And what does the beta add over the last stable version?

RMerlin

Montreal, QC
said by CWolfCW:

said by RMerlin:

Although, what is the issue with wireless stability in the beta? And what does the beta add over the last stable version?

There's a bug in the RT-N66U driver where Intel Centrino cards are unable to connect on the 5 GHz band when using 40 MHz width. Asus are working on the problem with Broadcom, no word yet as to when they might have a fix available.

There's been a lot of changes between 26b and 29 Beta 1, check the changelog: »www.lostrealm.ca/asuswrt-merlin/···elog.txt

DrugTito

canada
reply to RMerlin
said by RMerlin:

said by DrugTito:

What do you guys use?

Thnx

»www.mediafire.com/download/c87a2···.26b.zip

this one?

RMerlin

Montreal, QC
That's correct.

DrugTito

canada
Thank you sir.

Theriex

join:2010-09-19
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to RMerlin
I like DD-WRT as it seems to have a lot more functionality. RMerlin's release is good too but I'm having problems with USB connected storage and accessing the storage over the network. Never had any problems with DD-WRT and external storage.

If I have share without account, I am unable to copy files over to the external storage, it only works with Share with account and I don't want it set up that way.