"Hi"
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

[iPhone] My iPhone died over night

This morning I clicked the "home" button on my iPhone 5 to see what time it was. I got NOTHING, like the phone was off. So I try turning it on, still nothing. Even if the battery had died I would have at least got the Apple image for a moment. I plugged it in the charger and I finally got it powered up into recovery mode. Where I then plugged it into iTunes and it downloaded and installed a fresh iOS. Then started to restore from the back up files.

I am curious why the phone "died" like that last night. Any thoughts.

FYI, when it powered up after the fresh iOS, it had 78% battery so that wasnt the cause.

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC

Did you try force-rebooting the iPhone before you restored it? (holding the power+home button for 10-15 seconds)

Also the phone can recharge from 0% to 78% relatively quickly, I wouldn't rule out a dead battery since you mention that it "finally got powered up and into recovery mode" after you plugged it into the charger.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

I charged it all day yesterday. I used it for a couple hours before I went to bed so I probably depleted the battery to around 80% or so. There is no way I could kill the battery in two hours of Facebook and Twitter.

Thats how I got the phone on. Holding the home and power button, then it came on, but in recovery mode. So I went with it. It's all working now but I am curious why this happened?

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC

Depending on how you restart it with those keys you can force it into recovery mode.

My guess is some process got "stuck" overnight and the phone drained its own battery.

Much more likely than the OS spontaneously borking itself with a nearly full battery charge.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME

1 edit
reply to Dominokat

Hmm. I didn't think of that but I guess it is possible. But to charge from dead to 78% in about 10 minutes? But even with a dead battery when I try to turn it on, I always at least get the apple symbol before it turns off again.

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:4
reply to Dominokat

A few weeks ago my iPhone 5 did the same thing. It was dead. Turing the phone on would not even give me the Apple logo. I think it was just a red line.

Put the charger on it and in about 3 minutes or so, it was charged to 30% and I could turn the phone on.

I just left it on the charger. As Count Zero See Profile said, it did not take very long to fully recharge it.

IIRC this was after we go 6.1.3.
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Dominokat

I'm starting to think I did drain the battery even though it was at least about 80% when I went to bed. I did use a "flash light" app. I know I stopped it but sometimes it doesn't take much to inadvertently open an app. It could have happened that the light came back on when I set the phone down for the night.

BellBoy
Steven Paul Jobs 1955-2011
Premium
join:2001-02-20
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Dominokat

You might want to try charging with another cable. Sometimes a well used cable will fray internally and might not charge fully. Always look to that first before you think it's the phone. The simplest things are the easiest to overlook.

Also apps like the flashlight apps aren't the best engineered iOS apps and might use a bit too many resources needlessly. I found one free app like that and switched to another one a year or so ago (don't remember the name of the app, sorry).
--
"When the day comes that anyone can bend our country's laws and lawmakers to serve selfish, competitive ends, that day democratic government dies." -- Preston Tucker, June 1948

alg
Passionately apathetic
Premium
join:2001-04-10
Houston, TX
kudos:3
reply to Dominokat

Something similar happened to me about a year ago: I was looking at facebook with plenty of battery (like 90%) when it just went dead and would not come back on no matter what I tried. I tried some stuff but then just put it in my pocket thinking that I had somehow bricked my phone.

Anyway, about a couple of hours later I messed with it some more and it came on. Hasn't happened since.
--
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Dominokat

That happened to my iPhone, just stopped working. It was at about 55% when it simply died. Charged it, and about 40 minutes later, it came back on, it was about 83% charged...so I have no idea why it died.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
reply to Dominokat

It hasn't done any acting up since.

Daemon
Premium
join:2003-06-29
Berkeley, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·webpass.net
reply to Dominokat

If a process gets stuck and starts pumping out WiFi at max power or using 100% of CPU continuously, the battery will drain incredibly fast. Fastest I've seen is 90% to 0% in 20 minutes, though that was back in the days of the 3G.

A dead battery requires a full reboot on power on, instead of booting from sleep, so it keeps that stuck process from continuing.
--
-Ryan
I use Linux, OS X, iOS and Windows. Let the OS wars die.