share rss forum feed

obeythelaw
Premium
join:2003-04-16
Bayonne, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

using my wife's old iphone 4

I am switching from using my Galaxy S3 to my wife's old iPhone 4. I know, i know, some people say that its stupid to go the iphone but i really missed using it and iOS even though Android and the Galaxy S3 are great platforms and OSs.
ANyway, I posed in the Cell Phone thread but no responses. I have a couple of questions.
One, can I just swap the iphone from the galaxy S3 i was using into the iPhone 4? Will I have to either call ATT or go to an ATT store? I am on the unlimited data plan and don't want to lose that.
Second, my wife's old iphone had all of her apps and pictures she took on it. I turned on the iphone and enabled icloud so that all of her settings and camera roll and apps could back up to icloud (still backing up as of now. could take a couple of hours). I want to wipe the phone clean and enter my apple id from the last time that I used my iPhone since I had backed up into iCloud when I used my old iphone. Is this a safe thing to do? In case my wife either wants to use this old iphone again or she decides to get a new iphone in the future (she uses a galaxy s3 now as well), can she just enter her apple id on the new iphone and all of her settings or at least the pictures and apps would appear from icloud?

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
kudos:1

Yep, that's how it works.

obeythelaw
Premium
Bayonne, NJ

Great. Also, noticed I meant to say "can I swap the SIM card from the Galaxy S3 i'm using now into the iphone 4 and will voice and data be active." I'm guessing the answer is yes?

not quite right

Puyallup, WA

If they're the same size sim you can, didn't the iPhone 4 start using micro-sim cards.
n/m just checked both phones use micro-sim cards so swap away.
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

Elite

join:2002-10-03
Orange, CT
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to obeythelaw

Technically, the iPhone data plans and the Android data plans are slightly different in AT&T's system. I think all boils down to what APN settings you're allowed to use, which doesn't really apply on an iPhone. The next thing that comes to mind is visual voicemail.

Wouldn't hurt to call AT&T. You won't lose your unlimited data. If you do, DEMAND it back. I went from an iPhone 5 to an iPhone 3GS to a Blackberry Curve 8300 to an iPhone 4 then finally to a Nexus 4. I called AT&T more than a few times.
--
QUAD!!!!

obeythelaw
Premium
Bayonne, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to obeythelaw

Looks like AT&T's account system works quickly. I didn't call AT&T, but as soon as I swapped the SIM cards and reset the phones, it activated over the air, (no iTunes necessary) and when I logged into my AT&T account online it already showed that "my" phone is now the iPhone 4. My visual voicemail seems to be working fine.

obeythelaw
Premium
Bayonne, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to obeythelaw

I've noticed that on a few occasions, the "End" button doesn't work when I want to end a call. I have to keep pressing about 10 times for it to go. On some occasions it will work normally. I have restored the phone and it still does that. I'm assuming due to the age of the phone, there isn't much I can do? Would Apple do anything at this point?

not quite right

Puyallup, WA

Yes they will swap it out for $239 ...

obeythelaw
Premium
Bayonne, NJ

That's what I figured. Not worth it for me at this point. Either I switch back to the Galaxy S3 and wait it out for the iPhone 6 or put up with it until then.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to obeythelaw

said by obeythelaw:

I am switching from using my Galaxy S3 to my wife's old iPhone 4

I thought it was your "friend"?
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

obeythelaw
Premium
Bayonne, NJ

He has a 4s. I also wanted to go back to using an iPhone and figured I would see how it worked. It is as simple as swapping sims. For me, i wish the screen worked better.

not quite right

Puyallup, WA
reply to obeythelaw

Some of these iPhone fix it places will change out the screen for a hundred bucks. Still a lot to spend on a 4 when you have a Galaxy s3 already.
--

obeythelaw
Premium
Bayonne, NJ

Yeah, I would never pay to fix it. However, I noticed that if you hit the "Sleep/Power" button while on a call, it ends the call too.

not quite right

Puyallup, WA

That's interesting because mine will just lock the screen not end the call, or at least I think it does. Now I'm going to have to call myself and see.
--