All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

bluepoint

Surge Protected

Do you suggest that I plug the ONT to a power surge protector strip? Or it doesn't matter?
VicHighway
join:2002-11-13
Hopedale, MA

VicHighway

It shouldn't be needed. The PSU (power supply unit) already has built-in surge suppression (that's why they make sure that there is a ground connection available before installation).

bluepoint

2 edits

bluepoint

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Been thinking of it for a little while since the V installer just plugged it in one of the house strips. Thanks for the input.

The ONT ground is another story, it appears the installer put the ONT ground by the electric meter outside but at a glance it looks to be connected to a painted portion of the meter housing. I'll probably take a picture and show here.

Pics added:

Do I have a grounded ONT?

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

1 recommendation

PoloDude

Premium Member

That is meter ground clamp. The top has 2 sharp hooks that grab on, and the tab jambs up under the metal seam. You are well grounded.

bluepoint

bluepoint

Thanks so much!
scottj
join:2012-08-16
Wilmington, DE

scottj to bluepoint

to bluepoint
My ONT, and electronics are all on surge supressors. I would highly recommend you follow the same path. It provides one more level of protection which the internal power supply may not. The ONT is grounded both via the power recetpical and the required ground to meter.

bluepoint

bluepoint

My other equipments are all surge protected, why do you think the ONT should, even if it has a builtin surge suppressor already?

PoloDude
Premium Member
Aiken, SC

PoloDude

Premium Member

I think basic surge protectors are one of the lowest forms of protection available.
i run all (except for the ONT) of my electronics thru APC BBUs . they run about $100 each ,I have 4, to protect my PC's and AV equipment.

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme

Premium Member

said by PoloDude:

I think basic surge protectors are one of the lowest forms of protection available.
i run all (except for the ONT) of my electronics thru APC BBUs . they run about $100 each ,I have 4, to protect my PC's and AV equipment.

Same here.
scottj
Wilmington, DE

1 recommendation

scottj to bluepoint

to bluepoint
While the ONT is indicated here to have built in surge protection I prefer to error on the side of caution. In the event is is not and takes a line surge the surge may be passed to all interconnected electronics. There have been other postings which are contrary to the ONT having any internal surge protection. Caution should be exercised making sure reasonable surge protection is applied, such as Panamax, APC, and so on. I would not use an unknown low end brand. The surge protectors I have all were $100 or more each.

bluepoint

bluepoint

So you think it's not definitive that the ONT has a surge protection builtin? Where can we find the answer? Who from Verizon can we ask?

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

1 edit

aaronwt to bluepoint

Premium Member

to bluepoint
I run my ONT through an APC BBU so I can get up to 18 hours of runtime before the ONT BBU will kick in. That way during a power outage I can continue to watch TV, use the internet, listen to music, etc. since all my Electronics are also on APC BBUs.
scottj
Wilmington, DE

scottj to bluepoint

to bluepoint
Yes there is question which is why I added surge protection to the ONT. If there is existing intenal protection adding additional external surge protection will not hurt the ONT.
uncle6
join:2005-04-03
Marriottsville, MD

uncle6 to bluepoint

to bluepoint
For what it's worth, when VZ installed the ONT at my place, they plugged it into a surge protector provided by them. It's one of those small, single outlet jobs.

Gary A
join:2008-03-02
Odessa, FL

Gary A

said by uncle6:

For what it's worth, when VZ installed the ONT at my place, they plugged it into a surge protector provided by them. It's one of those small, single outlet jobs.

Ditto here. When I had FiOS installed back in 2007, there was no surge protector. During a subsequent service call a couple of years ago, the tech installed one of his own single outlet surge protectors into the BBU a/c power cord.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926

I dont think thats a surge protector......
Its a ground source for the ONT.

PoloDude
Premium Member
Aiken, SC

PoloDude

Premium Member

said by ITALIAN926:

Before VZ went crazy with grounding, there were Cyberpower single outlet surge blocks being used.
uncle6
join:2005-04-03
Marriottsville, MD

1 edit

uncle6

said by PoloDude:

said by ITALIAN926:

Before VZ went crazy with grounding, there were Cyberpower single outlet surge blocks being used.

It's even grounded nicely -- tied into the main house ground just outside the garage. By "it" I mean the ONT and anything else which looked remotely "groundable". If there was something to ground, the tech grounded it. I was impressed.

Lightning is a funny thing. Not funny "ha, ha". Funny in that it seems arbitrary in the path it takes. In any event, when lightning struck the tree next to the garage, it blew the (unused) Comcast cable to smithereens, but spared all the FIOS equipment. I claim that's probably just good fortune, but maybe not.

Maybe God hates Comcast?

By the way, I don't mean to imply the little surge protector saved my ONT. If it had take the full brunt of the strike, it wouldn't have been pretty.