tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT
·Frontier FiberOp..

tired_runner

Premium Member

Optimum security department

What times does the Optimum security department operate?

I need to speak to them about me being naughty with my Optimum connection, and how I'm going to behave now.

I just tried calling the number left in my voicemail but there's no answer.

No bashing or any bullshit please. I'm not interested in your opinions. I just need to know if they're open only during normal business hours.

TIA
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145

Have you tried calling main number?
root
join:2002-12-11

root to tired_runner

to tired_runner
8am-4pm Monday to Friday
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT

tired_runner

Premium Member

Thank you
max pl
join:2009-03-22
Hyde Park, NY

max pl to tired_runner

to tired_runner
1st Strike!

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

jaa to tired_runner

Premium Member

to tired_runner
Uh-oh

brentos
join:2007-07-19
Monroe, NY

1 recommendation

brentos to tired_runner

to tired_runner
chris_hansen_why_dont_you_have_a_seat.jpg

BigBird13
@optonline.net

BigBird13 to tired_runner

Anon

to tired_runner
said by tired_runner:

I'm not interested in your opinions.

That is a funny way of asking people for help.
nydennis30
join:2003-08-11
Port Jefferson Station, NY

nydennis30 to tired_runner

to tired_runner
I remember back they used to throttle. Had to call up once to get it removed. What a pain in the butt that was.

Did they disconnect you for 24 hours? I thought they would just do some popup's the first few times before disconnecting.

momcat1
No Relation To The Bobcat
join:2002-10-21
Wappingers Falls, NY

momcat1 to tired_runner

to tired_runner
8am-4pm Monday to Friday
momcat1

momcat1 to tired_runner

to tired_runner
8am-4pm Monday to Friday
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT

tired_runner

Premium Member

I forgot about this thread lol

This issue is now settled.
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145

said by tired_runner:

What was issue and how was it settled?
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT
·Frontier FiberOp..

tired_runner

Premium Member

My security system DVR was generating more action-based footage traffic than CV's mail servers could handle sending it all to my Gmail account. So I had to find myself an alternate for that.

In the meantime, I was given bad boy treatment by denying my Exchange server to forward traffic to them for five days.
Ricanlegend
join:2011-05-18
Bronx, NY

Ricanlegend to dm145

to dm145
said by dm145:

said by tired_runner:

Issue might have been illegal downloading how was it settled by using vpn or no more download

brentos
join:2007-07-19
Monroe, NY

brentos to tired_runner

to tired_runner
said by tired_runner:

My security system DVR was generating more action-based footage traffic than CV's mail servers could handle sending it all to my Gmail account. So I had to find myself an alternate for that.

In the meantime, I was given bad boy treatment by denying my Exchange server to forward traffic to them for five days.

Interesting, thanks for sharing.
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to Ricanlegend

to Ricanlegend
said by Ricanlegend:

said by dm145:

said by tired_runner:

Issue might have been illegal downloading how was it settled by using vpn or no more download

Or it might have been what he said in the post right above yours.
cablewizzard
join:2009-06-14
Woodbury, NY

1 recommendation

cablewizzard to tired_runner

to tired_runner
said by tired_runner:

That, no surprise to me and others here, are mischaracterizations on your part, and you've elected such language quite deliberately to blame CV, rather than yourself for this.

No, you have not sent more email than CV can handle. Rather: You've exceeded the amount of mail YOU ARE PERMITTED TO SEND, and then encountered what you pretend to be surprised about: enforcement of the rules on CV's part. Don't dress it up as something else.

And no, you were most certainly not blocked for 5 days straight, but I have a dim idea about what makes you think that:

If your security system DVR (camera?) enqueued into your own Exchange server, in all likeness, you had enough mail backed up in your Exchange queue while being blocked so that upon expiration of the block, your next queue run ambushed CV's mail servers at a rate (hourly volume) that was high enough to once again trigger a new block. Possibly more than once.

Exchange kept hammering away at them while being blocked at a high rate and encountering "55x" permanent send failures?
"Keep it coming, see what happens next!" was the likely chuckle you could hear out of their rules/policy enforcement engine, if it could actually talk.

E.g.: you had to stop the flood/backlog first to not trigger re-blocking - but as a good Exchange admin who knows how to control their queue, you already knew that.

Clearly, the dynamic-IP service that requires outbound relay via mail.optonline.net is not for you, and you should consider a different level of service (Static-IP, sending direct-to-MX), or other arrangements.
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT
·Frontier FiberOp..

tired_runner

Premium Member

Ok, maybe you would know better than me as to what happened. I mean, you were directly involved with that case. Right?

When I was left a voice message regarding this issue and subsequent course of action on their part, later on that same day I went to the outbound queue and deleted everything sitting in RETRY that came from the DVR box. The footage was already stored elsewhere anyway, this email method was meant as a backup, and thank God for that. I also changed the DVR to stop sending footage payload to the Exchange box. Only AFTER doing that did I call them back and ask to have the five-day penalty window shortened. Funny thing is that the individual I talked to didn't know what I was talking about and I was simply told to reboot the modem and try again. Of course that didn't work.

Common wisdom would dictate that in order not to get into this discussion again with CV, that it would perhaps be prudent to devise a corrective course of action. You're probably used to dealing with stupid customers, but thanks for trying to label me as one.

My only gripe with what happened here is the lack of a window of opportunity to rectify the situation before getting blocked, but instead getting blocked first then being notified of the situation so that I can do something about it.

I know I was blocked. All messages sat in the outbound queue and went nowhere for that period of time. When the block was lifted, everything went where it was supposed to go... slowly... but surely.

Question
@optonline.net

Question to cablewizzard

Anon

to cablewizzard
said by cablewizzard:

You've exceeded the amount of mail YOU ARE PERMITTED TO SEND, and then encountered what you pretend to be surprised about: enforcement of the rules on CV's part.

And exactly what rules are those?

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69

Here's some info lifted from their help page...

In order to help prevent the sending of spam from the Optimum OnlineĀ® servers, some controls have been placed on sending e-mail to multiple recipients.

An single e-mail cannot be sent to more than 100 recipients
You cannot include more than 100 recipients in any e-mail message.

If an attempt is made to send an e-mail to more than 100 recipients, your e-mail will not be delivered to any of the recipients and you will be notified of the delivery failure. If you wish to send an e-mail to more than 100 recipients, you must break up your recipients list into subsets of 100 or fewer recipients. The total recipients per message is considered the sum of the To, CC and BCC fields.

Your total e-mail recipients cannot exceed 500 within a one-hour period
You cannot send e-mail to more than 500 recipients within a one-hour period. If you send multiple messages to the same recipient, each message will count towards the limit. For example, sending five different messages to the same 100 recipients within an hour will bring you to the limit of 500.

If an attempt is made to send to more than 500 recipients within an hour, you will be notified that all messages in excess of 500 will not be delivered and your ability to send subsequent messages will be temporarily suspended for up to 24 hours.

Please note: Should you cross either e-mail limit referenced above, suspension of your outgoing e-mail service will not affect the ability to receive e-mail.
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY

JoeSchmoe007 to tired_runner

Premium Member

to tired_runner
said by tired_runner:

I may be missing something but why couldn't you just use Google SMTP?
root
join:2002-12-11

root to tired_runner

to tired_runner
said by tired_runner:

My only gripe with what happened here is the lack of a window of opportunity to rectify the situation before getting blocked, but instead getting blocked first then being notified of the situation so that I can do something about it.

I know I was blocked. All messages sat in the outbound queue and went nowhere for that period of time. When the block was lifted, everything went where it was supposed to go... slowly... but surely.

So you expect them to just let you send away while they hope you actually contact them back before blocking you? They don't know WHAT you're sending to the mail servers, just the volume. While you know it was legitimate traffic...a lot of the time its a PC that has been taken over and is part of a botnet. Think about the bigger picture.