Search similar:

uniqs

scott2020
join:2008-07-20
MO

scott2020

Cord Cutters aren't real

»cable.tmcnet.com/topics/ ··· wont.htm

Many people say they will, but they don't. I honestly can't see paying $200 a month for cable, but in 2020 dollars that may be a low estimate. I also agree that paying stupid prices like $5.99 for a 24 hour HD rental on Vudu or similar doesn't make sense. They would sell like hot cakes if the price was $2 or less.

hey hey hey
@charter.com

hey hey hey

Anon

said by scott2020:

»cable.tmcnet.com/topics/ ··· wont.htm

Many people say they will, but they don't. I honestly can't see paying $200 a month for cable, but in 2020 dollars that may be a low estimate. I also agree that paying stupid prices like $5.99 for a 24 hour HD rental on Vudu or similar doesn't make sense. They would sell like hot cakes if the price was $2 or less.

You do realize that Vudu doesn't get all that $6. The fact is if it sold for $2 then Vudu would get $1 instead of the $3 they currently get. I don't think rentals would be 3X higher at $2 than they are at $6. And eve if it was it wouldn't be worth the extra bandwidth and stress on the servers for the same money.

$6 is nothing when a family of 4 seeing the same movie in a theater would be over $30 just for the tickets.

scott2020
join:2008-07-20
MO

1 recommendation

scott2020

$1 and some change from Redbox is even a better deal for a family of 4. The point is, streaming costs very little as compared to physical media and distribution, and $6 is just greedy. They can make enough profit by lowering what they charge. On top of that, I wouldn't pay what they charge to "own" a movie that I can't put my hands on. When it goes away, my money is gone and I have nothing for it.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to scott2020

Premium Member

to scott2020
I won't cut the cord but I did switch to DirecTV. I like a lot of live programming like Fox News, Weather Channel, evening news, etc.

miataman
I've attained a PHD in DVR.
Premium Member
join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA

miataman to scott2020

Premium Member

to scott2020
said by scott2020:

$1 and some change from Redbox is even a better deal for a family of 4.

++1

There must be a "stat" somewhere as to average media consumer distance from a RB Kiosk (or 3!). Redbox is/was a total market disruptive, but technology changes so fast now, they may someday become the "disrupted" as in Amazon vs. Best Buy.
ncbill
Premium Member
join:2007-01-23
Winston Salem, NC

ncbill to scott2020

Premium Member

to scott2020
I found it is far cheaper to record OTA to my Tivo then just buy whatever 'cable' shows I want from Amazon instead of paying monthly for digital cable.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32

Premium Member

said by ncbill:

I found it is far cheaper to record OTA to my Tivo then just buy whatever 'cable' shows I want from Amazon instead of paying monthly for digital cable.

I find it just cheaper to pay for cable. I pay $30/month extra for the movie channels. I watch 11 (soon to be 12) original dramatic series on those channels, plus Inside The NFL, Jim Rome and Real Sports. The average premium cable series is 10 episodes per season. To buy full seasons of Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones, True Blood, Banshee, Hunted, Strike Back, Homeland, Californication, Shameless, House of Lies, Magic City and the upcoming Ray Donovan, that’s $360/yr at $3/episode. Amazingly enough I also pay $360 additional dollars a year for the movie channels. But for that same $360 I get a ton of movies, concert specials, comedy specials, live boxing and other content in addition to those 12 shows I mentioned above.

Aside from the NFL and NHL on NBC, NFL on CBS and NFL, MLB, NASCAR, UFC and NCAA Football on Fox, I fail to see what makes OTA content appealing on days of the week other than Saturday or Sunday.
ncbill
Premium Member
join:2007-01-23
Winston Salem, NC

ncbill

Premium Member

Sure, if you live in front of the TV, maybe paying an extra $60/month (on top of the base $80-$100/month for digital cable) is worth it.

Since I only subscribe to about a dozen 'cable' shows a year it's far cheaper for me to simply skip the monthly cable bill.

Also I get the best picture quality for broadcast shows (cable & satellite all compress the original signal to some extent)
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32

Premium Member

Considering aside from sports there's really not much worth watching on broadcast TV, I don't care it was broadcast in 4K. I still wouldn't watch the downright shitty programming ABC, NBC, FOX, CW, My Net TV and PBS spew out. I'll take slightly compressed cable and satellite programming, over the garbage cookie cutter content you'll find when you stick an antenna on your roof.