uniqs

R2
R Not
MVM
join:2000-09-18
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

[WIN8] Lack of Clipboard persistence btwn programs...

Is any one else frustrated by Win8's lack of Clipboard persistence??? Ugh. I drives me crazy. I cut and paste ALL the time between programs, but Win8's security is somehow repetitively interfering with this function.

Can this be fixed, or is this "feature" here to stay???

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22

I have not experienced this?

When it is not pasting open a notepad and see if it will paste into the notepad. If it does check your security perhaps you have keylogger permissions turned off to the program you are pasting to...

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to R2

Premium Member

to R2
I have not experienced this either, with or without Ditto running.

freebird317
Premium Member
join:2004-02-23
Vancouver, WA

freebird317 to R2

Premium Member

to R2
How do you know it's " Win8's security is somehow repetitively"? What is it doing?

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to R2

Premium Member

to R2
I've not done a ton of cut and pasting in Windows 8, but I do some. Right off the top of my head, I have copied text from notepad into Waterfox and IE without any problems (mostly URL's). I have also copied data from Word to Excel, as well as one Excel workbook to another.

I also know I have taken a screen capture (Print Screen, with or without the different variations CTRL + Print Screen, Shift + Print Screen), and dropped the result into Paint without a problem.

If you could provide a bit more information as far as which program(s) you are using, or what you are trying to cut and paste (text, images, pictures, music files, etc) then maybe we can help troubleshoot this further.

--Brian

NoOneCares
join:2000-09-16
Portland, OR

NoOneCares to R2

to R2
Do you have a password manager program installed? Sometimes they insert a timeout into the copy-n-paste process.

mmainprize
join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

mmainprize to R2

to R2
This is most likely some other program that is causing this issue.
Some program monitor the clipboard and catch the data for it use and some times it leaves it empty.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to R2

Premium Member

to R2
said by R2:

Is any one else frustrated by Win8's lack of Clipboard persistence??? Ugh. I drives me crazy. I cut and paste ALL the time between programs, but Win8's security is somehow repetitively interfering with this function.

Can this be fixed, or is this "feature" here to stay???

Yes it can be fixed. Figure out why your system isn't working correctly, because it's not working right.

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

Very interesting! It is a brand new, otherwise functional laptop. I have no password or other manager running / installed.

For example, if I want to cut and paste from this thread, I highlight text and hit copy. If I then have to OPEN Word to paste into it, and then try to paste, nothing happens.

But... once Word is open and ready to receive the input, I can go back into IE, again copy what I want, and THEN I can paste it!

I'll accept that this is a broken version of Win8. OK, how does one fix this?

Oh, it also happens internally within Excel. If I copy something, but then have to open a new Excel sheet - gotcha! The clip board data does not persist. I have to open the sheet first, THEN copy the data, and then I can paste it in the new sheet.

This has been going on since I first started using this Win8 box... never happened in Win7...

So, how is this fixed?? Thanks.

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC

Jahntassa

Premium Member

Sounds more like something is borked in your Office install, rather than a confirmed Win8 issue. I'd start researching the issue with Office rather than trying to find out what's wrong with Win8.

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

Thanks.
R2

R2

MVM

I have messed around with this for awhile now, and it is NOT Office that is the problem. I was incorrect. It all seems to be a security FEATURE...

It really seems to only involve *Outlook* and pasting of Links or anything with a link. For example, if I want to link to this page, I can highlight the address in the Address bar and select Copy. This should put the Address (URL) on the clipboard - and it does! I can paste it into a newly opened Notepad file with no problem. But...

If I try to do the same thing with Outlook, I am thwarted! If I try to paste that exact same thing into a newly opened Email, Outlook will not let me paste it! I have to leave the new email open, go back to IE, again select and copy the address, go back into Outlook, and NOW I can paste the link!!

I can show you all a video of how it looks... Am I the only one this is happening to? I do not recall this with prior versions...

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

plencnerb to R2

Premium Member

to R2
What version of Office are you running? I ask as I have Office 2010, with Word, Excel, and Powerpoint. If that is the version you are running, I can do some tests to see if I get the same results, as I am also on Windows 8.

--Brian

mmainprize
join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

2 edits

mmainprize to R2

to R2
Outlook and other E-mail programs started to block URL inside of e-mails for security reasons many years ago. You have to disable the URL blocking to be able to use or paste URL links into e-mails.

Edit
There is also another issue if you have install Chrome and then uninstalled it you may have an problem with URL in emails. This is a common problem and requires a register hack to fix.

»www.slipstick.com/proble ··· rictions

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to R2

Premium Member

to R2
said by R2:

I can show you all a video of how it looks... Am I the only one this is happening to? I do not recall this with prior versions...

Apparently yes it's just you. I cut and past all the time. Hell, I cut and paste across three or more Remote desktop sessions running w8, server 2012, etc. and the host win8 OS.

Cut and paste just works. No idea even how you would get it to not work. Post your vid to whatever video sharing site you prefer and post a link here...

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

The post above disagrees with you, but OK...

Oh... I am wrong. It is OUTLOOK -- and not just URL's!! Even pasting of NOTEPAD text does the same thing!!! I'll try to make a phone video... Excuse the quality.
R2

R2 to plencnerb

MVM

to plencnerb
OK, this is Win 8, but Outlook 2007 SP3. I have bought so many versions of Office, I don't want to buy another!!!

Here is my video. Not the prettiest out there, but it shows what I am talking about. I am NOT even posting a URL - only plain text.

I never had that happen before on any other computer, but it is clearly OUTLOOK and not a Win8 issue. I can paste in other programs fine. But... I do paste a lot in Outlook, and that is why I noticed it.

Any thoughts (except about the video quality)?

Thanks to anyone who offers advice!!

Ugh. The video did not attach. It said "Upload Complete". I even tried to Zip the file, and the zip file did not upload.... The zip file is 164 MB. Is that too much??? I tried with IE and Chrome. How else do I attach a file????

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

I have a copy of Office 2007, so if I get a chance tomorrow, I'll install Outlook 2007, get it patched, and see if I can reproduce the problem.

--Brian

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian to R2

Premium Member

to R2
said by R2:

Ugh. The video did not attach. It said "Upload Complete". I even tried to Zip the file, and the zip file did not upload.... The zip file is 164 MB. Is that too much???

The upload is too big, a file share site is required for linking to.
s_becker
join:2013-04-05

s_becker to R2

to R2
said by R2:

I have messed around with this for awhile now, and it is NOT Office that is the problem. I was incorrect. It all seems to be a security FEATURE...

It really seems to only involve *Outlook* and pasting of Links or anything with a link.

Just to get things straight...
You described earlier that you clipboard content got lost when you open Microsoft Word or Microsoft Excel. But that wasn't actually the case?

The content of the clipboard actually only gets lost when you open a new E-Mail in Microsoft Outlook.
And it only happened when having a URL in the clipboard.

Can you please confirm this?

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
Irving, TX

sivran to R2

Premium Member

to R2
said by R2:

I'll try to make a phone video... Excuse the quality.

No.

»www.portablefreeware.com ··· p?sc=205
»camstudio.org/

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to R2

Premium Member

to R2
said by R2:

Ugh. The video did not attach. It said "Upload Complete". I even tried to Zip the file, and the zip file did not upload.... The zip file is 164 MB. Is that too much??? I tried with IE and Chrome. How else do I attach a file????

Upload to youtube. Post link to uploaded file on youtube here.
JohnInSJ

JohnInSJ to R2

Premium Member

to R2
And also have a look at this thread

»answers.microsoft.com/en ··· 99b31bf5

Might be an OL2007 thing.

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

R2 to s_becker

MVM

to s_becker
said by s_becker:

You described earlier that you clipboard content got lost when you open Microsoft Word or Microsoft Excel. But that wasn't actually the case?

Correct, I misstated the problem and confused everyone. As best I can tell I just perceived that it was happening "all the time". So I thought it was happening in all programs. However, I just verified it - it is an Outlook issue ONLY. I was WRONG. Sorry.
said by s_becker:

The content of the clipboard actually only gets lost when you open a new E-Mail in Microsoft Outlook. And it only happened when having a URL in the clipboard.

Not exactly. The clipboard content appears to be fine - there is persistence - so my title is completely erroneous. As best I can now gather, it appears as if Outlook is somehow blocking the pasting of any content from the Clipboard IF the content was present on Clipboard prior to opening the New Message Window. And I inappropriately thought is was URL related, but it is not.

ANY text present on the Clipboard (held in that memory space) when a New Message Window is open in Outlook 2007 cannot be pasted into that new message. Something is preventing it.
R2

3 edits

R2 to JohnInSJ

MVM

to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

And also have a look at this thread

»answers.microsoft.com/en ··· 99b31bf5

That problem is a little different. Paste is not grayed out for me - it still appears active (Black) - but nothiing is pasted.

I am loading the video (only a few seconds) up to YouTube, but it is taking quite some time to load this SMALL video clip made from my iPhone! Not sure if I should have converted the file first...

Hey, thanks for looking into this.

OK, YouTube says it will be available here soon:

»youtu.be/GObN9a9sT6w

Woody79_00
I run Linux am I still a PC?
Premium Member
join:2004-07-08
united state

1 recommendation

Woody79_00

Premium Member

I know this is a real problem, because i struggled with it for the few months I had Windows 8 installed...in fact this bug was the final straw that drove me back to Windows 7.

This bug has no rhyme or reason to it at all...sometimes copy and paste will work and other times you paste and nothing happens. The paste button isn't greyed out...you just copy something and try to paste it and you click paste and you get nothing.

Be it copying from a web browser to word, copying from wordpad to word, copying from notepad to wordpad, copying an image or screenshot and pasting it into paint is also 50/50.

I just had it....I hope someone figures out a fix for this...on a side note I LOVE Windows 8 on my smartphone though...best UI out there right now for small screens!

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

Thank you for being the first person to confirm this!! It drives me crazy. I have used Windows since version 2!! I have cut and pasted a billion times, and this is the first time it has not worked the way I expected it to - the way it always has worked. My biggest issue seems to be in Outlook - it 100% does not work the way one expects it to.

In the other programs, maybe you are correct. Maybe it is 50/50 and I have been lucky recently.... I will keep trying to duplicate this.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by R2:

Thank you for being the first person to confirm this!! It drives me crazy. I have used Windows since version 2!! I have cut and pasted a billion times, and this is the first time it has not worked the way I expected it to - the way it always has worked. My biggest issue seems to be in Outlook - it 100% does not work the way one expects it to.

In the other programs, maybe you are correct. Maybe it is 50/50 and I have been lucky recently.... I will keep trying to duplicate this.

100% successful in Outlook 2013. Sorry, I don't have OL2007 to test against. Clearly an issue with OL07, vs a general issue with Win8.

If you have issues with other apps my guess is they also are old enough to have compatibility issues with the current OS.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
Irving, TX

sivran

Premium Member

What John said.

I would be curious though what you would see if you installed Ditto.

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

No Ditto. It did not happen in Win7 with OL2007 - so it is an incompatibility between the two...

Woody, are you using Office 2007 as well???