Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to resa1983

Premium Member

to resa1983

Re: Toronto/GTA 7330/Stinger Remote Cataloging Project

said by resa1983:

Looks like Google's allowing more pins to show on the same page now..

About freaking time...

FiberToTheX
Premium Member
join:2013-03-14

FiberToTheX to JMJimmy

Premium Member

to JMJimmy
said by JMJimmy:

Finally found out where I'm hooked up to there are 2 Stingers + 1 unknown (likely a 3rd stinger based on previous tech info) located at Wellesley & Homewood. No pictures but this is what the tech told me during his visit yesterday.

Edit: I'm assuming these? »goo.gl/maps/Qordo

Edit 2 - oops! Fixed link

Technicians use "Stinger" to mean either a Stinger or 7330 RDSLAM. Based on the Google maps it shows a Rogers node and an OPI but no RDSLAM's mounted there.
JMJimmy
join:2008-07-23

JMJimmy

said by FiberToTheX:

said by JMJimmy:

Finally found out where I'm hooked up to there are 2 Stingers + 1 unknown (likely a 3rd stinger based on previous tech info) located at Wellesley & Homewood. No pictures but this is what the tech told me during his visit yesterday.

Technicians use "Stinger" to mean either a Stinger or 7330 RDSLAM. Based on the Google maps it shows a Rogers node and an OPI but no RDSLAM's mounted there.

The discussion we were having was whether or not he could get me switched over to a 7330 from a Stinger. While I suspected those were them, that is the approximate location he indicated.

The Geezer
Premium Member
join:2004-12-28
43.3Á

The Geezer

Premium Member

Well, I took a closer look today and feel a bit foolish. Those boxes control the traffic lights that also sprang up very recently on that corner. Damn! I though we might finally be getting up to date with the rest of the world. I guess we are still condemned to live in the stone age as far as the Internet is concerned.
The Geezer

1 edit

The Geezer

Premium Member

Well, I took a closer look and discovered that those boxes have nothing to do with cable. They house the controller for the traffic signals that also sprang up suddenly at that intersection (why, I can't figure out). So, I guess we in northwest Halton are condemned to continue to live in a digital dark corner of the universe.

Sorry about the double post. After all these years as a member I still haven't gotten the hang of how to post on this forum!

Barry
join:2008-11-04
Burlington, ON

Barry to FiberToTheX

to FiberToTheX
Click for full size
Is this Bell or Cogeco? They've recently adding something to the back of it.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to FiberToTheX

Premium Member

to FiberToTheX
If somebody wants to add a Stinger in front of 44 St. Clair Ave. West, Toronto, I'd appreciate it. I'm a little busy to do it myself right now.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Barry

Premium Member

to Barry
said by Barry:

Don't know what it is, but that looks like a very old style Bell ped next to it.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to Barry

Premium Member

to Barry
said by Barry:

I think it's something for Cogeco, if you can get some close up pictures that would be easier to identify.
JC_

JC_ to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by Barry:

Don't know what it is, but that looks like a very old style Bell ped next to it.

I believe that's a Cogeco pedestal as Bell has never used that shade of green for anything other than JWIs.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by JC_:

I believe that's a Cogeco pedestal as Bell has never used that shade of green for anything other than JWIs.

There are plenty of Bell peds in my neck of Fort Erie that are a very similar grey/green to JWIs. Probably a bit more on the grey side. If it wasn't for the "Buried Telephone Cable" label on the sides you would confuse them for a Cogeco ped.

Just the same, I've seen plenty of Cogeco peds and I have yet to ever see them use a telephone-style ped for any of their stuff. There's three different designs with two different colour varients among them that I have seen.

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by Gone:

said by JC_:

There are plenty of Bell peds in my neck of Fort Erie that are a very similar grey/green to JWIs. Probably a bit more on the grey side. If it wasn't for the "Buried Telephone Cable" label on the sides you would confuse them for a Cogeco ped.

That's true, now that I think about it I've seen and worked at a couple Bell pedestals that have same grey/green colour. This was in areas where their is no cable service.

zed173
join:2010-07-17
Mississauga, ON

zed173 to Barry

to Barry
said by Barry:

Were you at an intersection with street lights? Because that looks very much like the cabinets that house the electronics for street lights to me.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

1 edit

Gone to JC_

Premium Member

to JC_
said by JC_:

That's true, now that I think about it I've seen and worked at a couple Bell pedestals that have same grey/green colour. This was in areas where their is no cable service.

I had never seen them before I moved to Fort Erie. When I get home I'll post a Streetview image of one of those grey/green Bell peds and a Cogeco ped side-by-side. There's a whole bunch of them on King and Albany in Fort Erie.

We also have Allstream peds here in that same area. They look like Cogeco peds except they have an Allstream label on the outside. If I were to guess I'd say they house fibre crossconnects for connecting to the US.

Edit - The two side-by-side: »goo.gl/maps/53zKD That area has a whole bunch of grey/green peds. There's also a JWI up the road. Also saw a bunch of these on Thunder Bay Road today as well.

Barry
join:2008-11-04
Burlington, ON

Barry to zed173

to zed173
Yes, actually. That was taken at an intersection with lights.

zed173
Mississauga, ON

zed173 to Gone

to Gone
Depending on where that is in relation to the border that would be a good assumption as Allstream has a crossing in Fort Erie (and so do lots of other companies).

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by zed173:

Depending on where that is in relation to the border that would be a good assumption as Allstream has a crossing in Fort Erie (and so do lots of other companies).

They're right near the mouth of the river.
JMJimmy
join:2008-07-23

JMJimmy to FiberToTheX

to FiberToTheX
said by FiberToTheX:

said by JMJimmy:

I verified this on my way to the ROM today - there is one there about 100 feet away from the two boxes shown... here: »goo.gl/maps/64CJQ

I also noticed this one on the walk: »goo.gl/maps/fzeL3
keenmay
join:2010-08-22

keenmay to FiberToTheX

to FiberToTheX
I found a brown box here:
»maps.google.ca/maps?q=Br ··· ,0,10.99

Now, there is an additional box added to what's in google street view. No idea how long the whole setup have been there. I'm waiting forever for VDSL in my neighborhood(M1M 3X2), which is just east of it. Should I be expecting VDSL coming out of this box?
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

Unless something has been attached to that big brown box... no.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by resa1983:

Unless something has been attached to that big brown box... no.

That pic is 2yrs old. I'm sure they've added to it by now.
keenmay

keenmay to FiberToTheX

to FiberToTheX
There is a smaller box attached to the right of the original box. it's roughly 1/3 the size of the original.

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_ to keenmay

Premium Member

to keenmay
Identifying 7330 vs Stinger Remote:
»Re: Toronto/GTA 7330/Stinger Remote Cataloging Project
keenmay

2 edits

keenmay to FiberToTheX

to FiberToTheX
^ which one has VDSL ? Strange that the next neighborhood south of mine has vdsl (I think), but only 15mbps/10mbps. I just took a photo of the boxes today...what's in them?

»maps.google.ca/maps?q=Br ··· .99&z=20

cybersaga
join:2011-12-19
Selby, ON

cybersaga

Well it's labelled "4M", so maybe a science toy?

Okok, I'll go away.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983 to keenmay

Premium Member

to keenmay
Left to right:
Rogers local node. Telephone equipment w/7330 hanging off it, power supply for equip & 7330

zed173
Mississauga, ON

zed173

Small correction:

CATV Rhino Ped (node and/or power supply) -> JWI with 2x 7330 -> CPN (compact power node (for previous 2x 7330))

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

Another Correction
said by zed173:

Small correction:

CATV Rhino Ped (node and/or power supply) -> JWI with 2x 7330 -> CPN (compact power node (for previous 2x 7330))

CATV Rhino Ped (node and/or power supply) -> OPI (not a JWI) with 1x 7330 -> CPN (compact power node for 7330)
hdefjunkie
join:2005-01-14
Kanata, ON

hdefjunkie to FiberToTheX

to FiberToTheX
Click for full size
Click for full size
Hi all,

Any idea what this is?

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by hdefjunkie:

Hi all,

Any idea what this is?

That's a JWI with a 7330 attached to it.