hdefjunkie to JC_

to JC_

Re: Toronto/GTA 7330/Stinger Remote Cataloging Project

THx.. Corner of Katimavik Rd and Sewell Way Kanata, ON
anthill
join:2007-12-06

anthill to FiberToTheX

to FiberToTheX
I just got activated on a remote, and it turns out it's a Stinger. Damn.

Glad to see there's a project to hopefully help suckers like me avoid this nasty surprise!

Just added one in the College St. & Manning area. Will keep an eye open for more DSL boxes in the neighborhood from now on.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to FiberToTheX

Premium Member

to FiberToTheX
Bell was out in my neighbourhood today surveying aerial runs for fibre drops. Talked with the guys and was told that they're prepping to deploy FTTN to Fort Erie - faster internet, Fibe TV, the whole bit. Had heard back in spring that they were going to be doing this in the summer but this is the first time I've actually talked to anyone involved in the deployment. Needless to say, I'll be adding the 7330s to the map as I see them show up here in town.

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to FiberToTheX

Premium Member

to FiberToTheX
Click for full size
Quarter view
Click for full size
Side View
Click for full size
Google Street View
I was looking for some help identifying this remote in the image (43.426274, -80.452036). I believe it is a 7330 but don't see one of the little power boxes nearby that usually come with one of those.

My home is close to a Bell CO and I currently only qualify for 5/800. I would like to make the jump to an internet connection with good upload. This remote is only 200m from the house. I recently noted on a walk to the local park with my daughter that this remote had changed and there was fresh grass seed in the disturbed soil adjacent to the pedestal. I reviewed Google Street view imagery and noted the absence of this component on the back.

Thanks!

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

That's a 7330 remote, sometimes their isn't enough room in the easement for the power node so instead power is sent from the CO.

EDIT: The 7330 likely hasn't been installed yet, if you look at the pics that you posted the lock is missing from it. Although it's coming soon, probably sometime this fall.

creed3020
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

creed3020

Premium Member

said by JC_:

That's a 7330 remote, sometimes their isn't enough room in the easement for the power node so instead power is sent from the CO.

Well that is great news. The golden question I guess now is when will this translate into better service options for the adjacent area...

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by creed3020:

said by JC_:

Well that is great news. The golden question I guess now is when will this translate into better service options for the adjacent area...

If you PM me your phone number or address I can take a look to see if their is an ETA.

creed3020
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

creed3020

Premium Member

Done.
creed3020

creed3020 to FiberToTheX

Premium Member

to FiberToTheX
This one has me stumped: »goo.gl/maps/msYic

I see the smaller ped for power but the "tackle box" on the side seems to be much narrower than any of the 7330 or Stinger that I have seen.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

said by creed3020:

I see the smaller ped for power but the "tackle box" on the side seems to be much narrower than any of the 7330 or Stinger that I have seen.

When Bell was just starting their rollout of the 7330s, they came in different sized cabinets than what are used today. This looks like it may be one of the old 7330s from the initial rollout.

creed3020
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

1 edit

creed3020

Premium Member

Thanks for the expanded definition on what a 7330 may look like.

I added a bunch of points to the map over the past hour but now they've all disappeared. I know I hit save and then done, so I'm not sure whats gone wrong.

EDIT: Ah if I am not on the last page of points then I don't see any for the KW area. That is annoying that you cannot view them all at once. We need a better display mechanism.
SLAMtech
join:2009-12-03

SLAMtech to creed3020

to creed3020
said by creed3020:

That is just an addition to the crossbox for more bix fields, probably for the cross connects to run in the slam to customer. The 7330 has not been installed yet.

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

1 edit

JC_ to creed3020

Premium Member

to creed3020
said by creed3020:

That's a different style of JWI, on the left side of it as SLAMtech said is just an addition for the BIX so that customers line can be run through the SLAM. The 7330 or Stinger is likely mounted on the back of it.
hybrid02
join:2013-02-06

hybrid02 to FiberToTheX

to FiberToTheX
What is different between 12A and 17A profile? I see that both are the same speed. I'm on 17A and can't go higher speed and the highest now i can get 37megs with Fibe TV. I used to have 50/10 package with Fibe Tv for 2 months after I complained about not getting full speed when the TVs are on and been downgrade to 25/10 package from last week. 7330 remote is useless in my area.

I was told that pair bonding are coming this fall in my area.

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

The difference between 12A and 17A is the frequencies that are used. See »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ve ··· Profiles

xsbell
join:2008-12-22
Canada

xsbell to hybrid02

to hybrid02
said by hybrid02:

What is different between 12A and 17A profile?

12a uses three downstream bands and only two upload... 17a uses three downstream and three upstream.
hybrid02
join:2013-02-06

hybrid02

why my line can't go 70 megs? I was told that my line can go up to max 53 megs.

Are you working for Bell? If so, can you set me 46/11 profile? Now I'm on 37/11 profile when my 2 to 4 TVs are on and can't get full speed.

steve76
@bell.ca

steve76 to JC_

Anon

to JC_
has anyone seen them REPLACE even a single stinger with a 7330 in the gta?
bell guys, any idea what the protocol is for that?

joeybee
Joey
Premium Member
join:2003-08-12
Hamilton, ON

joeybee

Premium Member

said by steve76 :

From what I've been told they won't replace the stingers unless it has a hardware failure. They will add on a 7330 though. They can run both at the same time.

FiberToTheX
Premium Member
join:2013-03-14

FiberToTheX to steve76

Premium Member

to steve76
said by steve76 :

They don't replace them but add a 7330 near it in 99% of the cases.

As for those with remote installation activity that's great but there is no such installation or preparatory work going on in my area or in the few cities that I have observed largely even though they are on the roadmap.

creed3020
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to JC_

Premium Member

to JC_
said by JC_:

said by creed3020:

That's a different style of JWI, on the left side of it as SLAMtech said is just an addition for the BIX so that customers line can be run through the SLAM. The 7330 or Stinger is likely mounted on the back of it.

You are correct, the 7330 is mounted on the back. I drove by the other day and confirmed that the gear was there. The Street View image is too old.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to JC_

Premium Member

to JC_
According to my modem, my DSLAM is GSPN. It is definitely served by a remote, the central office is 4km away. That leaves the question, what does a GSPN in a remote look like?
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

GSPN = Globespan. They merged with Conexant in 2003. If you're on ADSL, I'd guess its a Lucent AnyMedia Access System (AMAS).

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_ to Teddy Boom

Premium Member

to Teddy Boom
said by Teddy Boom:

According to my modem, my DSLAM is GSPN. It is definitely served by a remote, the central office is 4km away. That leaves the question, what does a GSPN in a remote look like?

If you PM me your phone number I can take a look at what kind of SLAM you're on.

xsbell
join:2008-12-22
Canada

xsbell to HeadSpinning

to HeadSpinning
said by HeadSpinning:

GSPN = Globespan. They merged with Conexant in 2003. If you're on ADSL, I'd guess its a Lucent AnyMedia Access System (AMAS).

They're actually the Stinger xLIMs (VLIM excluded) cards in an FS+ or CR. Only the LPA419 card used a Globespan chipset in the Lucent AMAS, and there aren't too many left in service, most use a TI chipset.
SLAMtech
join:2009-12-03

SLAMtech

We call them combo cards, T Slams, Z Slams.....

They are all only adsl.

creed3020
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to FiberToTheX

Premium Member

to FiberToTheX
I added some more 7330's from random recent trips.

I have noted that as of a week ago I now qualify for 15/10 VDSL. I don't entirely trust this information on the Bell webpage but it does correlate with the progress being made in the area. I'm not considering a change until 25/10 is available.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to FiberToTheX

Premium Member

to FiberToTheX
I recently found two more Stingers in Niagara Falls. One was on Montrose Road further south past Chippawa Creek Road. It's a rural area that up until recently was outside the urban boundary of the city. I suspect that the Stinger out there has been there forever to serve the few homes and businesses in the area for legacy ADSL. There is also a GPON splitter in this same area, I assume for the new monster of a development that is going into the area.

The second was more interesting. It was at the corner of Montrose and Lundy's Lane. There was a Stinger and a 7330 installed on an OPI. I don't ever recall seeing a Stinger there prior, but either way this is the first dual install I've seen in Niagara. Haven't seen any Stingers anywhere else in Niagara except for in Niagara Falls.

creed3020
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to JC_

Premium Member

to JC_
said by JC_:

EDIT: The 7330 likely hasn't been installed yet, if you look at the pics that you posted the lock is missing from it. Although it's coming soon, probably sometime this fall.

I walked by this 7330 yesterday and there is now a padlock on it. No major change in services offering but this one is under 200m walking distance to my home.

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by creed3020:

said by JC_:

I walked by this 7330 yesterday and there is now a padlock on it. No major change in services offering but this one is under 200m walking distance to my home.

That's a good sign, it means that the 7330 has been installed and activated and they're now doing final testing before offering service.