Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

1 edit

creed3020 to JC_

Premium Member

to JC_

Re: Toronto/GTA 7330/Stinger Remote Cataloging Project

Well I am eligible for FTTN service up to 50/10 as of two weeks ago. It appears the patience and perseverance has paid off.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by creed3020:

Well I am elgible for FTTH service up to 50/10 as of two weeks ago. It appears the patience and perseverance has paid off.

FTTH or FTTN? Cause 50/10 is an FTTN speed.

creed3020
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

creed3020

Premium Member

Sorry typo. Corrected now.

Oinktastic
Let them use fibre
join:2005-08-24
Scarborough

Oinktastic to FiberToTheX

to FiberToTheX
Click for full size
Remote or JWI?
Is this a remote, or something else? I can walk by and take a better picture tomorrow, if required. This picture is from Google Street View. The link is just below.

»maps.google.com/maps?q=b ··· ,1,13.09

If this is a remote, I'm upset. It's ~100m from my house, and I can't get anything faster than 5Meg.

Thanks!

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

That's two Stingers and a 7330 strapped to an OPI, and one of the most unique configurations I've ever seen.

Oinktastic
Let them use fibre
Scarborough

Oinktastic

I'd better flag down a Bell tech in the area and see if there's any hope for me.

Thanks Gone!

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

It's quite possible that you're wired up to another OPI with no RSLAMs installed, even though the one in the photo is only 100m away from where you are.

Oinktastic
Let them use fibre
Scarborough

1 edit

Oinktastic

Should I attempt to mark that on the map, or would someone else be able to mark it for me? Not sure how I should mark 3 different remotes in 1.

All the best.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

said by Oinktastic:

Not sure how I should mark 3 different remotes in 1.

In principal, I think you just mark it as Stinger + 7330. All that really matters, I think, is that you have the possibility of being on either.

Which brings me to..
I haven't been bothering mapping things I find downtown, because I feel like the map has accomplished its goal (at least in Toronto). Most neighbourhoods are served by both Stinger and 7330, and so there is no way to have certainty for anybody.

I'm open to putting more effort into this if it really seems valuable though..

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

The map still has value in areas where FTTN is still being deployed. I wouldn't give up on it just yet.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

Sure, I can see that. But I can't see any point trawling around downtown Toronto, I don't think. ?!

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Wouldn't most of that equipment be in underground cabinets, anyway?

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

Not necessarily. It really depends on what you mean by downtown I guess.. Bathurst to the Don River and south of Bloor, maybe 60 percent of housing stock would have equipment in basements of buildings. If you expand out a bit, that would drop very quickly.

There are only 5 sites marked in the downtown boundaries I gave, but there are at least 10x that many street level facilities out there. Take a look at Google streetview down Harbord from Bathurst to Spadina, there are three or four sites. In one case, it is just a single stinger on the small concrete pad in front of a business:
»goo.gl/maps/vZcNS

eee
@distributel.net

eee to Gone

Anon

to Gone
the tri-force will get you!
videonerd
join:2007-01-21

videonerd to FiberToTheX

to FiberToTheX
Drove past a 'gigantic' one... 40 Green Belt Drive. Added it as a yellow unknown to the map.

My description is probably wrong though, if you experts can correct it:
2x OPI, 2x Stingers (one on a pad on the east side, one attached to the west side of the OPI brick structure)

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by videonerd:

Drove past a 'gigantic' one... 40 Green Belt Drive. Added it as a yellow unknown to the map.

My description is probably wrong though, if you experts can correct it:
2x OPI, 2x Stingers (one on a pad on the east side, one attached to the west side of the OPI brick structure)

That a Walk In Cabinet (WIC), think of it as a remote CO. The only DSL equipment that is inside of them are ADSL SLAMS, which is up to 5Mbps service. Based on thew street view there are no Stingers or 7330s there. If you can take some pictures and post them it would help us to identify them.

DavePC
join:2013-08-18
Scarborough, ON
Sagemcom F@st 5689
Technicolor CGM4331
Obihai OBi200

DavePC to FiberToTheX

to FiberToTheX
I don't know if im on a stinger or a 7330, theres a box to the right, and two Stingers I think to the left.

»www.google.ca/maps?ll=43 ··· ,,0,1.52

About a kilometer away from my house.

7330 here as well I think:
»www.google.ca/maps?ll=43 ··· ,0,17.01

Stinger here I think:
»www.google.ca/maps?q=enb ··· ,,1,7.38

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

I think they are all stingers except for the last one, which doesn't appear to be a remote at all but a smaller JWI.

DavePC
Scarborough, ON

DavePC

Out of curiosity, how would you differentiate a Node from a Stinger/7330?

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_ to DavePC

Premium Member

to DavePC
said by DavePC:

I don't know if im on a stinger or a 7330, theres a box to the right, and two Stingers I think to the left.

These are remote cabinets for dial tone.
said by DavePC:

That's an OPI with a Stinger.
said by DavePC:

Stinger here I think:

That's just an OPI and the box on the right is just a cabinet that houses a splice point.

----

Identifying 7330 vs Stinger Remote:
»Re: Toronto/GTA 7330/Stinger Remote Cataloging Project

DavePC
Scarborough, ON

DavePC

Looks like my entire area is mostly stingers.. great.
Whats surprising is that half of it can get 50/10 while the other side can only get around 25/6.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Scarborough is mostly stingers, though i have seen some places where a 7330 was bolted on the same box as a Stinger...

Stinger is fine if you are close enough with decent line quality... I am about 950ft from mine, and i am able to get 50/10 reliably with lots of overhead on the SmartRG modem. 100% solid in bridge mode with my Netgear WNR3500L router running Tomato Toastman.

creed3020
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to DavePC

Premium Member

to DavePC
said by DavePC:

Stinger here I think:

I recognize those areas. I used to be in that area (Birchmount & Wintermute). It made the most sense to be TSI Cable at the time as the DSL just wasn't a competitive offering, the pricing has changed since then and the whole landscape is about to change again.
creed3020

creed3020 to FiberToTheX

Premium Member

to FiberToTheX
Click for full size
Construction Day
Click for full size
Power hookup
Click for full size
Completed pad
Click for full size
Installed 7330
New 7330, one of the white ones with integrated power unit, @ 425 Wilson Ave, Kitchener.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

1 edit

Gone

Premium Member

Those new ones have been showing up in some areas of Niagara Falls and almost exclusively in Welland. I've been adding the new CSPs in Fort Erie for the FTTH rollout that is occurring here right now, as well.

creed3020
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

creed3020

Premium Member

This is the first integrated unit I've seen anywhere in KW. All of ours so far have been the bolt on to the JWI and coloured brown.

Thanks for the reminderto update the map. I did this one and a few more I've found in recent months.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

1 edit

Gone

Premium Member

Yeah Niagara Falls has a mixture of both, the new ones are all the large white ones. Welland's FTTN rollout was started more recently and theirs are all the large white ones with none of the ones that attach to the side of an OPI.

I've seen CSPs come in both the white/grey colour of the large 7330s (like this: »www.google.ca/maps/@43.0 ··· 4whg!2e0 or this »www.google.ca/maps/@43.0 ··· 8QrQ!2e0), and the brown of everything else. So far every single one deployed in Fort Erie has been brown, and that seems to be the far more common colour.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to FiberToTheX

to FiberToTheX
Click for full size
Click for full size
This was recently added about a month ago at N5V 2B9 in London, ON.

Don't believe it's live yet, my qualification went down from 10M to 640k.

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_ to creed3020

Premium Member

to creed3020
said by creed3020:

This is the first integrated unit I've seen anywhere in KW. All of ours so far have been the bolt on to the JWI and coloured brown.

There are two standalone units in Waterloo that I know of;
1. »www.google.ca/maps/place ··· s0x0:0x0
2. »www.google.ca/maps/place ··· !6m1!1e1

In #2 the street view doesn't show it but it's there.
JC_

JC_

Premium Member

For Kitchener/Waterloo there is a thread in the Bell forum »[Internet] Aecon playing FTTN catchup in south Kitchener