All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
TheSMJ
join:2009-08-19
Farmington, MI

TheSMJ

Re: Should I run RG6 or skip it?

I bought a $50, 500' spool of quad shielded RG6. It was only $15 more than the dual shielded stuff, and I figured that I'd rather spend a little more on the cable now then get stuck kicking myself later if it doesn't work out for whatever reason.

Now I'm trying to figure out how many drops per room. I wasn't aware satellite systems needed two wires (I've never hooked one up before) and I was only planning on two drops in each room w/ one on opposite walls. But with this information maybe I should run two per wall?

I'm putting way too much thought into something I may not ever use...

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by TheSMJ:

I wasn't aware satellite systems needed two wires (I've never hooked one up before)
I'm putting way too much thought into something I may not ever use...

Directv satellite only needs one coax.
TheSMJ
join:2009-08-19
Farmington, MI

TheSMJ

So then why do most people seem to recommend running two per tv location?

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Satellite used to need one feed per tuner. So if you wanted to record one channel and watch another then you needed two coax. I haven't had satellite in a while so I'm not sure if that is still the case.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to TheSMJ

Premium Member

to TheSMJ
Dish can require two runs per box, depending on the setup; particularly for PVR's or multi-tuner boxes.
kevnich24
join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

kevnich24 to TheSMJ

to TheSMJ
Run two per location in case you want like OTA tv plus either satellite or regular cable. Plus some people like having a separate outlet for a cable modem and another for their tv/dvr box.

I definitely say run atleast 1 RG6 to each location, possibly even on on each side of the wall (so each room would have two runs of coax). Definitely run one RG6 to each wall of your main living area as others have said, it may limit your furniture arrangements. You don't want to be sitting under your TV. We don't really watch a lot of tv so we only had one run of coax and two cat6 per box, one utility box per room and two boxes on opposite sides of the wall in the main living area. I also put a wireless AP in the ceiling above the main living area as well with a dedicated cat5e line back to a home run area in our laundry room.

Contrary to what others have said, this WILL affect future home buys. I don't see how it wouldn't. Everyone I know who has bought a house, this has come into play with. It costs several thousand dollars more to have it installed AFTER the walls are put in and they NEVER look as well done. Plus, you can't run drops to outside walls without tearing up the walls. I had my entire house wired up for $1,000 for coax and cat6 wire. It would have cost 4x that after the house was completed.
54067323 (banned)
join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL

54067323 (banned) to TheSMJ

to TheSMJ
said by TheSMJ:

Now I'm trying to figure out how many drops per room. I wasn't aware satellite systems needed two wires (I've never hooked one up before) and I was only planning on two drops in each room w/ one on opposite walls. But with this information maybe I should run two per wall?

Simple answer is bring a single drop into each room that you have access to and if some coax is left over then double up on say the living room or a den or more.

You have already bought the coax, so may as well utilize every inch you paid for.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to TheSMJ

Premium Member

to TheSMJ
said by TheSMJ:

So then why do most people seem to recommend running two per tv location?

Most people? Tell that to the Directv installers. I have two installations and one coax to each one.
Jack_in_VA

Jack_in_VA to robbin

Premium Member

to robbin
said by robbin:

Satellite used to need one feed per tuner. So if you wanted to record one channel and watch another then you needed two coax. I haven't had satellite in a while so I'm not sure if that is still the case.

I have a DVR and can watch one channel and record another. Directv has an upgrade to allow more channel recording. I have one coax to the DVR.