spc
uniqs
jbeenemd
join:2002-05-14
Willard, MO

jbeenemd to fishacura

to fishacura

Re: Can I buy my own phone?

I am on the unlimited plan also. Signed up right before they dropped unlimited. At the time the LTE phones were not very desirable and we did not even have LTE here. So got a cheaper 3G phone. Well to my surprise we got LTE within 6 months of signing on. Found a used Rezound that I was able to get for $250. All I had to do was go online and request a free LTE sim card. When it arrived I inserted it into the phone and then on their website changed out the phones. Worked without a hitch. AND NO STANDING IN LINE AT A VERIZON STORE. Now I was lucky with this purchase. If you buy from an individual then would do the transaction at the store after the phone has been verified to be legit and not "lost", stolen, or have money due on their account. Oh, I was also able keep my unlimited account. Also I have been told that you do not have to pay for the hotspot on LTE. This is a decree from the FTC.
Jackie
navyson
join:2011-07-15
Upper Marlboro, MD

1 edit

navyson

said by jbeenemd:

I am on the unlimited plan also. Signed up right before they dropped unlimited. At the time the LTE phones were not very desirable and we did not even have LTE here. So got a cheaper 3G phone. Well to my surprise we got LTE within 6 months of signing on. Found a used Rezound that I was able to get for $250. All I had to do was go online and request a free LTE sim card. When it arrived I inserted it into the phone and then on their website changed out the phones. Worked without a hitch. AND NO STANDING IN LINE AT A VERIZON STORE. Now I was lucky with this purchase. If you buy from an individual then would do the transaction at the store after the phone has been verified to be legit and not "lost", stolen, or have money due on their account. Oh, I was also able keep my unlimited account. Also I have been told that you do not have to pay for the hotspot on LTE. This is a decree from the FTC.
Jackie

Not necessarily true. I believe that as a part of a settlement agreement between Verizon and the FTC, Verizon can no longer block tethering apps such as Foxfi from the app store. I do not believe Verizon always "free tethering" using their mobile hotspot feature for those on unlimited plans. However, you can download Foxfi and other tethering software.

Shrapnel64
Premium Member
join:2001-01-24
VA, USA

Shrapnel64 to jbeenemd

Premium Member

to jbeenemd
As navyson See Profile pointed out, the FCC ruling reverses the decision by Verizon to have any tethering apps removed from the Google Play Store.

However, the FCC ruling DOES NOT apply to Unlimited Data users (such as myself).

In such cases, we are allowed to be charged a monthly fee by Verizon to activate the "Unlimited" Tethering/WiFi Hotspot on our phones. The charge is $30/month (before any feature discounts...I get 15% off) for LTE service. If you're still on a 3G plan, they only have the 2GB for $20/month plan available (last I checked).

For the users who are on tiered data plans (2GB for example), they are allowed to download/use the Tethering apps...which is more or less why the "Share Everything" plans now allow Tethering "for free."
jbeenemd
join:2002-05-14
Willard, MO

jbeenemd to navyson

to navyson
Well, I've not had any problems. Guess, we will just have to wait and see.
Jackie
navyson
Upper Marlboro, MD

navyson to Shrapnel64

to Shrapnel64
Even if you are on the unlimited plan, you should be able to download Foxfi and other tethering apps and use it. I have the 4G data plan and I use Foxfi regularly to share internet access with my tablet when I am on the road.

Shrapnel64
Premium Member
join:2001-01-24
VA, USA

Shrapnel64

Premium Member

Yes, I could use the programs to tether. However, it is grounds for termination if Verizon were to crack down on it like AT&T has done in the past.
navyson
Upper Marlboro, MD

navyson

said by Shrapnel64:

Yes, I could use the programs to tether. However, it is grounds for termination if Verizon were to crack down on it like AT&T has done in the past.

Actually, a Verizon phone rep told me(of the record though) that I could just download Foxfi if I wante to tether.