uniqs

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to Critsmcgee

to Critsmcgee

Re: Should I run RG6 or skip it?

said by Critsmcgee:

Ask anyone you want and as many of them as you want. I've bought 3 houses and coax has been a requirement in all 3 for me. My sister and parents the same. As a matter of fact even the service providers came into the picture. Last year when I bought this house FIOS was a requirement. The fact is coax DOES play a role in decision making for some people.

I don't know if these houses were new construction (as in you could DEMAND the installation of the cables).

A used house is a different story. You hunt and hunt for a house in the right area of the right style of the right size, it's not custom made to you. Once you find that house, you'll be lenient as to whether or not there is network/catv wiring.

A bit like house inspection, if you're buying a old house, you can't DEMAND that the inspection finds nothing old in the house.
said by Critsmcgee:

Discount it all you want but blanket statements will never win and you know it. At best you can say something like "For most people it won't play into the decision process". A 100% statement just gets you into trouble.

There are always exceptions, but as a house improvement investment, it will bear very little return. It's not just the spool that costs $$$, it's the termination jacks, the labor, and 500' will get little coverage especially if you want dedicated lines to every room (instead of piggy backing from room to room).
said by Critsmcgee:

For your example those people don't know what to look for. The most common problem with people is they don't know what they want or what to look for. A Realtor will tell you whatever sells the house. Do they care if you have cable or internet once you buy the house? NO! Do they care if it costs you $300-500 to have the house wired? NO! This is a classic hindsight problem with buying property.

And if you find a house you like and it is not wired, you can't demand it to be wired (at least, in my local realestate market). It's more lucrative to negotiate over the price and not over the wiring.

In OP's case, he doesn't need CATV, so for him it's a bad expensive. If he wants a real using addition, he should run conduits that are easy to use for pulling anyy sort of cable in the future. 50 years later, when we're using house-central-nerve-system wiring to wire brain scanners in every room, they'll be glad they had conduit in place, they won't care for the obsolete CATV.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

It's not something to demand but for many it could make a difference between two competing properties. The cost of materials is minor compared to the cost of labor to wire the house retroactively. Conduit is nice but both cost and labor are greater than coax. As far as future proofing, high quality coax can support a very large amount of bandwidth. For instance, you can't get a coax to ethernet converter to run cable over an ethernet line, but you can get an ethernet to coax convertor to run ethernet over coax.
Ostracus
join:2011-09-05
Henderson, KY

Ostracus

»www.costcaptain.com/mm5/ ··· od2E4A2Q

Reasonably priced to boot. Who would have thought it?
Critsmcgee
join:2011-12-02

Critsmcgee to alkizmo

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

And if you find a house you like and it is not wired, you can't demand it to be wired (at least, in my local realestate market). It's more lucrative to negotiate over the price and not over the wiring.

The wiring is the price negotiation. No wiring means you can reduce the price whether they like it or not. Will they let the deal fall though over $500? I doubt it. In the end no wiring can cost you money. Based on that who would argue that it doesn't affect the sale?

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by Critsmcgee:

said by alkizmo:

The wiring is the price negotiation. No wiring means you can reduce the price whether they like it or not. Will they let the deal fall though over $500? I doubt it. In the end no wiring can cost you money. Based on that who would argue that it doesn't affect the sale?

It is still a gamble. You would Spend a couple of hundred dollars now for something you won't use in order to maybe not have to discount a multihundred dollars house price by a few hundred bucks.

I have never seen negotiations go like that (asking a lowered price because a luxury feature is not present). I am not saying it never happens, but it must be rare, and I mostly underwrite mortgages for old houses (guaranteed not to have that stuff).
Critsmcgee

Critsmcgee

said by alkizmo:

said by Critsmcgee:

said by alkizmo:

It is still a gamble. You would Spend a couple of hundred dollars now for something you won't use in order to maybe not have to discount a multihundred dollars house price by a few hundred bucks.

I have never seen negotiations go like that (asking a lowered price because a luxury feature is not present). I am not saying it never happens, but it must be rare, and I mostly underwrite mortgages for old houses (guaranteed not to have that stuff).

The OP's house is from 1959 and it will have it. Mine is from 1960 and it has it. Are you talking about houses older then that? My parent's in law have a 1930's house with it. Everything with property is a gamble. Just because you spend $100,000 on addition doesn't mean the new addition is worth $100,000. You might only see $50,000 return. Once upon a time coax was a luxury item but with everything online it's no longer in that category. There's where people are confused. I don't know anyone who doesn't have internet. Maybe it's different in Canada.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by Critsmcgee:

The OP's house is from 1959 and it will have it. Mine is from 1960 and it has it. Are you talking about houses older then that?

My house is from 1964 and it doesn't have it.
said by Critsmcgee:

Once upon a time coax was a luxury item but with everything online it's no longer in that category. There's where people are confused. I don't know anyone who doesn't have internet. Maybe it's different in Canada.

Back in the 90s and early '00s, people did care about CATV being in every room. That's why older houses had it added later on.

However, as you said, it's a lot less important now because of bedroom TVs being replaced by bedroom laptops

That's why I said it's a luxury, because while we still use it, it is not important anymore.

With HDTV cable providers forcing you to pay an extra monthly fee for additional HDTV boxes per household. People just limit cable TV to one or two TV and everything else is on the computer.
said by Critsmcgee:

Just because you spend $100,000 on addition doesn't mean the new addition is worth $100,000. You might only see $50,000 return.

You spend 100,000$ on a house at the risk of only getting 50,000$ back only because you want to enjoy the upgrades yourself before selling.

OP doesn't need CATV, so it's a loss. He'll install CATV, never use it for years, and by the time he sells the house, people will see the CATV outlets are an eye sore like we do for telephone jacks (useless, ripped out and patched next time they paint a room).

We're missing the entire point here though.
The OP doesn't need CATV, but he wants to use the opportunity while his walls are open. He should compromise by spending the same amount of $$$ on getting conduits to fewer, but key, locations instead of wiring CATV to every room.
Critsmcgee

Critsmcgee

said by alkizmo:

He should compromise by spending the same amount of $$$ on getting conduits to fewer, but key, locations instead of wiring CATV to every room.

That's more expensive in materials and much harder to do labor wise not to mention the OP already bought the RG6. I seriously doubt they are going to shift gears at this point. Ideally that would be the best way to go but that's insanely rare in new and old construction.