how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

shademan

join:2008-01-08
Melrose Park, IL

i hate mices to pieces

some of you may reconige the above from tom and jerry cartoon anyway i have a mice problem and need advice here is what i have done so far 3 different type of traps the old fashioned one the one where they eat the poision and go away and die and the stickey kind and only manged to get 2 bait i have tried peanut butter dog food and apple butter and hoffmans cheddar cheese they seem to be picky eaters. Short of getting a cat allergic i could use ideas especially bait and since when did mice become pickey about the bait

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

Get a Rat Zapper

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
reply to shademan

Get the Tom Cat brand of bait bags. They are small bags. Put one behind the fridge and one behind the stove. Or in a cupboard they are getting into. Has to be under/behind a closed space that they go through.

GadgetsRme
RIP lilhurricane
Premium
join:2002-01-30
Canon City, CO
reply to shademan

I had a mouse that evaded all traps. It did like peanut butter but it would lick the trap clean and not set that sucker off. I finally made two balls of peanut butter and ground up one of my wife's blood pressure pills for each ball and let him lick that of off the traps. He licked the first one clean and died just as he got to the second one. My wife's dose is a half of a pill so you can imagine what it did to the mouse's pressure.
--
Gadgets

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting

1 recommendation

reply to shademan

I've found "plain old" Victor mouse traps to be the best. You need several of them. When you get a good one, mark it.
I have one trap that is *hair trigger*, but it gets them every time. It has over 50 kills. Half the time it nearly decapitates the little bastards. We call it 'ol reliable.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

dmagerl
Premium
join:2007-08-06
Woodstock, IL

1 recommendation

reply to shademan

I like Intruder traps the best. You put the peanut butter bait on the bottom side of the top. That way the meeses have to turn their heads up and step on the paddle trigger to get the bait.

BTW, its Pixie and Dixie and Jinx the cat.

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to shademan

said by shademan:

Short of getting a cat allergic i could use ideas especially bait and since when did mice become pickey about the bait

Some time ago, I opened up a small enclosed space in the basement where the water meter was located. Mice used to visit that space ... and soon they started coming into the rest of the house.

Anyway, I tried the roomy traps where they can enter through a tunnel but can't get out. Caught two babies one night in one trap and let them go in a nearby forest.

It seems that our mice family is really smart, reproduce very fast and can communicate location of the traps to babies. Because soon they started avoiding the traps no matter where I moved them and no matter what I put inside.

*** At this time, I am experimenting with ultrasonic waves beyond pet hearing (above 30Khz) and it looks promising. You have to keep changing frequency, volume and pattern (like emergency vehicle sirens) and aim at proven entry points.

Our mice family has figured out how to get in through a hole near the electrical panel which is difficult for me to cover. I have to remove some of the basement ceiling or put a whole bunch of horns all over the basement.

P.S. My son has figured out that they live in tunnels made by our chipmunks.

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
reply to shademan

Whenever we've had rodents, D-Con's been the most effective solution.

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Emerging Research
join:2000-08-06
DSotM
kudos:2
reply to shademan

Placement of the trap is every bit as important as the bait. Make sure it is placed along a wall, parallel to the wall, in an area that they usually pass through on the way in their search for food.

I will put in another vote for the Victor traps. My wife has had great success in using them to eliminate the mice in her horse barn.
--
Shine on you crazy diamond...

PX Eliezer
Morrow Project fan
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Outland
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus

2 recommendations

reply to shademan

"I hate those meeces to pieces!"

said by shademan:

some of you may recognise the above from tom and jerry cartoon

Actually, it is from [Pixie and Dixie and Mr. Jinks] from "The Huckleberry Hound Show".

The confusion is understandable because it was produced by Hanna-Barbera who also had done [Tom and Jerry].

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to shademan

Re: i hate mices to pieces

I've always wiped out mice with plain old school mousetraps. I think like Nunya said, Victor. They are the wooden/metal spring loaded traps from days of old. They work well.

What I liked to do was take a SMALL piece of bread, ball it up in my fingers and squeeze it down into the "bait hook" part of the trap. Then I'd rub just a tiny bit of peanut butter on the bread, set the trap, and put it down in a corner.

I've killed a lot of mice over the years with those traps.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
reply to shademan

Have a friend with a cat? My parents had a problem once.. borrowed my two mouse catchers for a few hours and no further problem. The hardest part was getting the half dead mouse from the cat who apparently was having fun playing with it.

rob_in_chatt
Premium
join:2004-09-17
Chattanooga, TN

1 edit

3 recommendations

reply to sivran

Click for full size
meet Buddy. my professional mouse deterrent.
the bad thing about the decon is if the rodent dies under the floor or in a wall, then you have the smell.

i have a cat for that problem. a neighbor brought him over and asked if i wanted him. a litter was born under her house and he was the only one that lived. they had dogs and they got all the kittens but Budddy. one small mouse got in the apartment 4 years ago and he got it the first night we had him, and he was hardly 2 months old lol he was so tiny when we got him.

and to this day, he still sits in front of the fridge at night for a few hours staring at the bottom. that is where he caught the mouse. apparently he has not forgotten that 4 years later. he is about 2 in this picture. i have tons of pics of him, but this one is probably my favorite one.

shademan

join:2008-01-08
Melrose Park, IL
reply to shademan

thanks for all the ideas i am going back to the old style of traps and will try peanut butter with the bread idea and i put the bait on the underside of a tomcat trap i am moving the traps to see if that helps next step i may have to see if we can borrow a cat from a relative yes it was pixie and dixie gotta love them old cartoons

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21

When you bait the underside of the trigger the mice will wedge their heads in so that they can reach every tidbit. SNAP! I haven't missed one since I started baiting that way.

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
reply to rob_in_chatt

My parents learned from a friend how to eliminate the problem of dead mice decomposing inside walls. If one is using Warfarin based rat poison, leave a pan of water next to the bait. Warfarin causes the mice to hemorrhage internally, which causes them to develop an unquenchable thirst. They will immediately search for water and the nearby pan of water meets their needs. Usually we would find the dead mice in or near the pan of water.

Regardless of what method one uses to dispatch mice, the only issue was if the mouse was a female and had given birth. When the mother died the young would starve to death and there would still be the stench of decomposing baby mice in the nest. Fortunately if one put out the bate and pan of water early enough in the fall, the female mice would not live long enough to give birth.

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to shademan

Forget the cat. Get yourself a small terrier. They were bred to kill rodents, and despite many of them being raised as show dogs recently, the instinct is still there. Our Jack Russell does a great job. »Re: Need to kill a mole..

harald

join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH
reply to shademan

Anybody that would waste Hoffman's Supersharp Cheddar on a mouse deserves to be infested.

Nectar of the Gods.

intok

join:2012-03-15
reply to shademan

Best thing I've ever found to kill mice is a regular old snap trap baited with smashed up Reese's cups. The little bastards can't resist the stuff and it's sticky enough they have to sit there and work at it till they set the trap off.

First time I tried it I caught both mice in the house in under an hour, the first trap got one in under 10 mins. It's worked great for everyone I've told to try it.

The last thing you want to do is start poisoning them. poisons end up having unintended consequences like killing your local predatory critter that picks off a poisoned mouse as an easy meal, which allows your vermin population to grow faster.

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Emerging Research
join:2000-08-06
DSotM
reply to PX Eliezer

Re: "I hate those meeces to pieces!"

said by PX Eliezer:

Actually, it is from [Pixie and Dixie and Mr. Jinks] from "The Huckleberry Hound Show".

It's bad enough that this place is filled with Grammar Police... now we have to put up with the Cartoon Police, too?

--
Shine on you crazy diamond...

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4

It was my first reaction when reading the OP as well. If he didn't say something, I would have.

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

said by Lurch77:

It was my first reaction when reading the OP as well. If he didn't say something, I would have.

+1
--
Why are they called "progressives" when their policies are from 1917?

fan13027

join:2008-10-26
Winnipeg, MB
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to rockotman

Re: i hate mices to pieces

said by rockotman:

Placement of the trap is every bit as important as the bait. Make sure it is placed along a wall, parallel to the wall, in an area that they usually pass through on the way in their search for food.

I will put in another vote for the Victor traps. My wife has had great success in using them to eliminate the mice in her horse barn.

What he said about the importance of placement, and also add a +1 from me for manual traps like Victor.

As for bait I have always used and had VERY good luck with any 'fragrant" (read spicy) meats such as European salami or bits of pepperoni. Even bacon will do in a pinch. Just make sure the bait is well anchored to the trigger mechanism and small enough they won't just eat around the edges.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to shademan

They have traps (baited with food) where the mice will enter into a box and the box will shut behind them. You can then release them a few miles from home.
--
Add a signature here

LU89
Jersey Devil
Premium
join:2003-05-24
@desk
reply to shademan

A lot of good ideas here so I thought I would add mine.
Using an old school Victor mouse trap I tie a small piece of twine to the trigger leaving short ends hanging out. A small bit of peanut butter on the trigger and twine. Even the mice that usually clean the trap cannot resist pulling on the twine, end of problem.
--
"Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane."

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
reply to PhoenixDown

said by PhoenixDown:

They have traps (baited with food) where the mice will enter into a box and the box will shut behind them. You can then release them a few miles from home.

That's what I use in addition to ultrasonic experiments. Those are good options for people uncomfortable with killing/maiming.

My son likes to play with the mice caught in the box before releasing them in a nearby forest. He is convinced the exact same ones come back within a few days.

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi
Reviews:
·Power-Net Intern..

1 recommendation

reply to shademan

I have had a mechanical mousetrap in my garage for 22 years. I go out in the spring and fall and any other time the boss tells me it is bothering her and empty it out and rewind. I got the idea from the grandparents about sixty years ago. they are still on the market. The grandparents had one up north on their parent's old homestead that they emptied when ever they visited the place for a weekend or so. Its is placed along a wall and the mice go in it out curiosity and touch the trap lever and are flipped into a chamber. The noise they make attracts other mice.

You will have to Google to find out where to buy one.
--
Whoever said that ignorance is bliss wasn't refering to a person with a computer at his fingertips!

Cure Disease with your computer

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

1 recommendation

The mechanical wind up is called a Kness Ketch All.
They are a live trap which can store several mice within a Galvanized steel box.

We have had success at our cottage in the bush with the victor ultrasonic devices. Used to have infestations move in over the winter. Now we leave several of the ultrasonics in each room and none come in. During summer months I will use the katch all or ol' reliable victors baited with peanut butter. Like Nunya said some victors are better than others but I found they can be tuned by smoothing the trip wire rod with steel wool to remove burrs. And leave several ultrasonics on at all times.

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to shademan

I may have to look into some of these solutions. My roommate hears scratching at night, so I suspect a possible mouse (mice?) in the attic.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to shademan

Another +1 for the plain old traps. I use the so-called "pre-baited" and squeeze a bit of feta cheese in the holes (feta worked best for my mice) - just enough to make a thin layer but not too much to trigger. The added weight of the cheese makes them ultra-sensitive, but they catch more mice compared to the "plain" ones...