join:2003-12-14

1 edit

chachazz

Premium Member

[FireFox] New Social Providers [coming to Firefox Nightly]

New Social Providers in Firefox
Mozilla Blog - Future Releases - April 5, 2013
quote:
Mozilla developed the Social API to enable social services and providers to integrate directly into Firefox to make users browsing experience more social, customizable and personal. The Social API makes it easy for you to keep up with friends and family without having to switch between or open new tabs.

We will expand testing with additional social providers in Firefox Nightly, including CliqZ and Mixi, MSN Now and Weibo soon.

We are really excited about the possibilities that Social API brings to the future of browsing including ways to integrate even more social providers, e-mail, finance, news and other applications and services into your Firefox experience.

Stay tuned for more details and when we start beta testing the the additional social providers.

Firefox Nightly builds are available here: »nightly.mozilla.org/

Some documentation and information about Social API:

Mozilla Support - How does Facebook Messenger for Firefox work? (Social API)

Dec 3, 2012: Mozilla Blog - Firefox Gets Social with Facebook

Nov 30, 2012: Firefox 17 Release notes - First revision of the Social API and support for Facebook Messenger

Nov 20, 2012: Mozilla Blog - Firefox Introduces New Social API and Previews Integration with Facebook

Oct 22, 2012: Privacy Blog - Being social with privacy in mind

Oct 22, 2012: Future Releases - Help us Test the Social API with Facebook Messenger for Firefox

July 6, 2012: Future Releases - Social API - Bringing Social to Firefox

Mar 15, 2012: Mozilla Labs - Experimenting with Social Features in Firefox

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

1 recommendation

carpetshark3

Premium Member

I for one don't want ANY social sites integrated. If Mozilla is going to do this anyway, then do an opt out rather than have to edit about:config. I don't feel like having to do all kinds of contortions to get rid of FB, G+, Twitter, and the rest of them.

Put them in for those that want them, but give those of us who don't the same consideration.

CCat
We're all quite mad here
MVM
join:2005-12-06
Wonderland

CCat

MVM

said by carpetshark3:

I for one don't want ANY social sites integrated. If Mozilla is going to do this anyway, then do an opt out rather than have to edit about:config. I don't feel like having to do all kinds of contortions to get rid of FB, G+, Twitter, and the rest of them.

Put them in for those that want them, but give those of us who don't the same consideration.

^^^What He Said^^^

Santa Fe
BUT.....I Digress!

join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard

Santa Fe

said by CCat:

said by carpetshark3:

^^^What He Said^^^

I agree, but then I'm Anti-Social!

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

dandelion

MVM

quote:
I follow trains

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

+5.

Screw that crap. If I wanted to be a sheep, I'll go to a slaughter house.

Santa Fe
BUT.....I Digress!

join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard

1 recommendation

Santa Fe to dandelion

to dandelion
said by dandelion:

quote:
I follow trains

Thought I felt some heavy breathing on my Caboose!

IdianaDude
@comcast.net

IdianaDude to carpetshark3

Anon

to carpetshark3
I second your comment. These things had better not be forced on me.
I have Facebook and others blocked in my Windows HOSTS file.

My user.js configuration is suddenly growing with items I've lately shut off.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
join:2007-08-13
Philippines

chrisretusn to carpetshark3

Premium Member

to carpetshark3
It's an API (application programming interface), it simply makes it possible, that is all.

The current Facebook Messenger that works now it 100% opt-in.

I played around with Facebook Messenger a bit, it's more for folks who are always on Faceook, Me? I am rarely on Facebook.