Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Pin
Premium
join:2002-06-19
The Dungeon

[F@H] Any Linux folders out there?

If so then there is some good news for you. Early linux GPU folding testing is under way.

I'm not saying it will be delivered soon, but the development work is underway.

psssst,
it's a little quicker on linux right now than it is on windows.
--
time nor tide wait for no man...

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

Definitely folding on Linux here, but I doubt that any of the GPUs I have would be useful. My purchasing criteria for a videocard for the longest time has always been that it has a digital output for an LCD monitor (none of that D/A => A/D double conversion) with a clear high resolution 2D picture for a simple X-windows desktop.

The only reason I have any videocards with 3D capabilities is that those are the ones that end up on the clearance sales a year or two after they were introduced.

A quick look at some of the stuff I have:
Number Nine, Matrox not supported at all

ATI/AMD:
Rage 128, Rage Fury Pro, Radeon 7000, Radeon 7500 listed in GPUs.txt but not supported by F@H
Radeon HD 6450 looks like it might work

Nvidia:
NV1, Quadro FX 5500, Quadro NVS 285 listed in GPUs.txt but not supported by F@H
GeForce 210 looks like it might work

Those might work cards are pretty low-end and are probably not going to perform very well.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

Pin
Premium
join:2002-06-19
The Dungeon

I've always kept lower end cards in my linux boxes. Mostly because the OS wouldn't "correctly" support newer cards or it was a PiTA to get them working.

But now there seems to be native support in the linux distro's. As an example, Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS supports the GTX 570 right from the install.
--
time nor tide wait for no man...

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

Video card support, in my opinion, on linux is much better if you buy the nVidia line. ATI support if still iffy and buggy in my opinion. For nVidia, between either the open source drivers that are available or the closed source from nVidia, make using those cards the best around.