Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

H0NEYD0
Premium
join:2006-03-14
Tampa, FL

[modem/router] Why doesn't release/renew work and why 7616 -> 52

I have had horrid difficulties with Verizon DSL 3.1 to 7 Mb/s service in the past two months. I've gone through a Westell 7500, D-Link 270B, and now have an Actiontec GT784WN. It seems that changing the DSLAM in the CO combined with the Actiontec GT784WN on my end was the ultimate fix.

Sadly, though after a few days of tremendous speed improvement following the ultimate fix (5300 Kb/sec at dslreports.com/speedtest) someone or something seems to be "optimizing" the speed down instead of up. I notice the DSL syncs up at 5216 when it used to sync up at 7616/800. In addition, I seem to have an unchangeable IP address now.

With the Westell 7500, I could hit release, watch the Internet light go out, hit reboot, and gain a different IP address after the modem rebooted. Now, even turning the modem off, unpluging it for a fw hours, and then turning it back on, result in the same DHCP (yes WAN side) IP Address.

I have spent so many hours, literally hours, waiting on hold with Verizon online support only to start again and again with "Tell me which lights are on...." that I have gone absolutely nuts.

Tonight I asked about the speed drop and got the age old answer, "Well, 3400 Kb/sec IS inside 3.1 to 7 MB/s." And "Why do you want to change IP addresses?" I tried to explain that after a posting publicly in a forum (a forum like here or political or health related forums) where comments might draw attention I might want the privacy of not having the same IP address all the time. I was then told that the IP address was controlled by Verizon and I shouldn't post copyrighted material.

So I pretty much give up trying to make myself understood to VOL and thought I'd ask here, why can't I change IP addresses anymore, and why are they throttling down my connection to the lowest speed in the tier. According to DSL tech who was here awhile back, (I pulled the info from my browser history)

Retrieve circuit info from AAISCS Known loop length was 3500FT

I should be close enough to the CO for better than 3400 Kb/sec.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL

Re: [modem/router] Why doesn't release/renew work and why 7616 -

I am not sure, but I think I know what is going on.

Points to »www22.verizon.com/support/reside···3897.htm
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

H0NEYD0
Premium
Tampa, FL

Thanks, I did look at the URL ref Verizon's Carrier Grade Network Address Translation. Unfortunately my account is marked as having FiOS which doesn't allow me to opt out of GGN to see if that might be the cause. I have DSL of course, as I stated. So why Verizon marks my account as FiOS is beyond me.

I did check with DSL Extreme who said they could provide service at my address for a little less money and the same speed. I also checked with AT&T who could provide DSL here.

I realize both will probably be over the same equipment, same copper pairs and out of the same CO as I have now. But at least I will be dealing with another group of people for support. That makes all the difference to me.

I try ever so hard to work with Verizon support knowing they are doing the best with the tools they have. Verizon just needs to give them better tools. They seem trapped in a framework that allows them only the leeway to redefine my problem... and "solve" it in a predefined way. Verizon seems unable to ask, "What do you want or need," then provide the solution to that.

I think I could have a handful of providers standing in line to deliver 3 MB to 4 MB down and allow a release/renew of IP address once or maybe twice a day.

H0NEYD0
Premium
Tampa, FL

1 recommendation

I went to MyVerizon a day or two later and my account was marked as "High Speed Internet Enhanced/DSL" and not FiOS. So I was able to make the change and opt out of Verizon's Carrier Grade Network Address Translation.

Might be a coincidence, but release/renew works as expected now. Disconnect (there is no "Release" button on the GT784WN) then reboot and/or power down for a few minutes and new IP address.

The GT784WN has no manual, is counterintuitive, and is designed to allow Verizon to reconfigure it remotely via TR-069 CPE WAN Management Protocol. I don't like it at all. Honestly, I was so happy years ago with a "dumb" Westell Wirespeed modems and a Linksys WRT54G.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:23
reply to H0NEYD0

I'm pretty sure the FiOS marking on DSL is a bug with the website or the system. I only noticed it when they rolled out the new design. I was still able to opt out of the Carrier Grade NAT myself.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to H0NEYD0

said by H0NEYD0:

Honestly, I was so happy years ago with a "dumb" Westell Wirespeed modems and a Linksys WRT54G.

I am using the Westell 6100G (modem combo) but it has been setup not to handle the public IP, I have my own RJ-45 WAN port router handling the public IP, and I am happier now than I was back when I had a non modem combo.

Let me explain..

---

With my old DSL modem to get the Transceiver Statistics my only options were:

Option one: Direct connection to my DSL modem

OR

Option number two - This Setup

a) A hub connected between my DSL modem and my RJ-45 WAN port router

b) A computer with a wired NIC connected to the hub that is connected between my DSL modem and my RJ-45 WAN port router.

c) To get on-line with the computer that is connected to that hub, that computer must have two NICs and the NICs have to be in two subnets.

For example the one that was connected to the hub had 192.168.0.9 with the subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and the one that was connected by wire or without wireless to my RJ-45 WAN port router has 192.168.1.9 with the subnet mask 255.255.255.0

-> And then for example using »Verizon Online DSL FAQ »What is the Westell Modem Browser and how can I interpret it's results? (if on Windows)

or a Mac, Unix/Linux tool if not on Windows

a) »sourceforge.net/projects/wdiag/

b) »adslm.dohrenburg.net/linux/linux.php

c) »brightrain.aerifal.cx/~niklata/d···ats.html

Note the adslm.dohrenburg.net and the brightrain.aerifal.cx site have the details of why on Windows one has to use the Westell Modem Browser.

---------------

With my modem combo, I have all of these options.

All of them allow me to use my web browser on my computer.

Option one and two: The same as without a modem combo (above) but I can use my web browser on my computer.

Option three: More than IP Address on the WAN side of the RJ-45 WAN port router.

Both router's LAN IP are in two subnets and then

a) If using DD-WRT, I point to dd-wrt.com -> Community -> Wiki -> Tutorials (Basic and advanced configuration tasks for your router) -> Access To Modem Configuration

b) If using Tomato firmware there is are commands to be entered into the router and restarting the router or if the Tomato firmware spin off (like Shibby or Toastman) in the router where one setups the type of connection (for example PPPoE) there is a field called Modem IP.

Option four:

b) A hub connected between my DSL modem and my primary (the one that is handling the public IP) RJ-45 WAN port router and both of those routers LAN IP's are in two different subnets.

b) A second RJ-45 WAN port router setup to act as a Hub/Switch/Wap with-in the same subnet as the primary router, it's WAN IP is in the same subnet as the modem combo and ,it's WAN port is connected to the hub that connected between my DSL modem and my primary RJ-45 WAN port router.

c) Adding a proper static route on main router to secondary router.

As noted in »Re: Access to modem combo while in bridge mode

Option Five:

a) A hub connected between my DSL modem and my primary (the one that is handling the public IP) RJ-45 WAN port router and both of those routers LAN IP's are in two different subnets.

b) That primary RJ-45 WAN port has to be a Dual RJ-45 WAN port router.

As noted in »Re: Access to modem combo while in bridge mode

Option Six:

a) Both of routers LAN IP's are in two different subnets.

b) Setting a Static WAN IP to be with-in the same subnet as the modem combo's LAN IP.
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.