share rss forum feed

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2

Possible temporary height

One of our sites the owner is replacing his grain elevator. And he should its a rust box. But it's gonna leave about 35 customers out of service for 2 weeks.

Anyone have any ideas for temporary height? I have to hold up a 2 foot dish, a 900mhz waveguide and a 2.4 omni and the router.

I thought the fastest and easiest would be a 100-120 foot boom lift. But I would worry how that would hold up to wind. Probably would have to lower it on windy days.

Other ideas?
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

gunther_01
Premium
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL

1 recommendation

That's probably going to be your cheapest route. A boom truck, or JLG lift, Etc. Unless you have any tower companies that might have a portable tower in your area. Also, check to see if any HAM clubs in your area know of anything. They sometimes have things hidden back in the woods LOL
--
»www.wirelessdatanet.net

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to Inssomniak
Have you priced the boom lift option?

Ant

join:2013-03-15
Clanton, AL
Reviews:
·MegaPath

1 recommendation

reply to Inssomniak
»community.ubnt.com/t5/The-Lounge ··· e#M20672

Possibility? Since it is temporary. You'll need some serious weight at the anchors for the two foot dish though.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
Cayuga, ON
reply to John Galt
said by John Galt:

Have you priced the boom lift option?

..no.
--
»www.optionsdsl.ca

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
said by Inssomniak:

..no.

Be sitting down.

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5
With an empty stomach and coffee cup placed back on counter.

treichhart

join:2006-12-12

1 recommendation

reply to Inssomniak
If you can get EMT piping they come in 10ft sections I have built an 30ft pole out of EMT piping.

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
kudos:1
said by treichhart:

If you can get EMT piping they come in 10ft sections I have built an 30ft pole out of EMT piping.

That's a joke. You can't go 100 feet free standing using EMT.

You could get a little further using tube lock scaffolding but that's not cheap either.

You need to find a mobile crane that can give you deal since it will just be sitting the whole time.

»millburn.patch.com/articles/t-mo ··· -9389938
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

treichhart

reply to Inssomniak
LLigetfa please stand corrected yes you can if u weld the pipe together with bracing....

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
Cayuga, ON
reply to LLigetfa
Welp maybe I wont even make the call, lol, Im sure its probably far more than the refunded revenue of 35 customers even if we gave them the whole month free. This is a network endpoint, it stops here so its not so bad.

And I will never try to freestand 100 feet of EMT, welded or not. Not to mention load it with a 2 foot dish.
--
»www.optionsdsl.ca

jim_p_price7

join:2005-10-28
Henryetta, OK
reply to treichhart
said by treichhart:

LLigetfa please stand corrected yes you can if u weld the pipe together with bracing....

WTF? You're joking, right? I sincerely hope no one takes this advice in the future.

join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to treichhart
said by treichhart:

That would work only if the OP had a grain elevator to strap it to.

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5
reply to Inssomniak
EMT was specifically designed to be bendable.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp

1 recommendation

reply to Inssomniak
Helpful hint: estimate a job and make your very best guesstimate on how long it will take. Double that.

That is how long it will take.

Take-away point: don't tell your clients that it will be two weeks and then take four. Tell them four weeks and be done in two.
--
No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. You can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him. Well, you can try to...

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
Cayuga, ON
Yea that is great advice, and 2 weeks is double what the owner of the leg says it will take.
--
»www.optionsdsl.ca

treichhart

1 recommendation

reply to jim_p_price7
If I was joking Jim why the WTH I would post that? Have you seen some people do over in the Philippines for towers?

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
reply to Inssomniak
said by Inssomniak:

Yea that is great advice, and 2 weeks is double what the owner of the leg says it will take.

Ok...sounds like you have it covered.

prairiesky

join:2008-12-08
canada
reply to Inssomniak
Maybe some scaffolding?
you could either go straight up, use some ground anchors and rope to guy it. Or build a pyramid style thing out of the stuff..... maybe 2 sections on either side should be pretty sturdy.

could you temporarily relocate to an appartment or some other building close by??

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
Cayuga, ON
said by prairiesky:

Maybe some scaffolding?
you could either go straight up, use some ground anchors and rope to guy it. Or build a pyramid style thing out of the stuff..... maybe 2 sections on either side should be pretty sturdy.

could you temporarily relocate to an appartment or some other building close by??

We do have a fairly high bin we can try to move it to, Im not sure what we need to connect the 15km backhaul up.

And where this is, like all our PoPs, Very rural, no buildings anywhere. Its all farmland
--
»www.optionsdsl.ca

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp

aSic
application specific
Premium
join:2001-05-17
Wakulla, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to Inssomniak
Rohn25 is pretty easy to get up in the air with a quickness. Granted its not freestanding, but for a temporary 100ft lift, skip the concrete, bury half a stick, guy it down with deadman anchors, and call it done.

edit: overlooked the 2ft dish. Yeah, could be interesting depending on the amount of wind you'd see, although I'd still do it.

--
Teamwork is a lot of people doing what I say.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
Cayuga, ON
reply to Inssomniak
Click for full size
Click for full size
Thought I post a few pics of this. We did manage to mount everything temporarily to a bin, although we left out the 2 foot dish and opted for a single chain grid for the temporary backhaul, it has a rather nasty FZ blockage as most early mornings it cuts out. We left out the waveguide and put up 2 panels instead for 900mhz customers. Its been running on a walmart 3000 watt generator for nearly 2 weeks Im pretty sure they werent designed for this. :/

Believe it or not all 32 customers on this site remained up, with reduced signals.

This is the new leg, its a big bitch. You can see our temp stuff to the right of it on the bin.
--
»www.optionsdsl.ca