uniqs

breese
Premium Member
join:2000-05-10
Arlington Heights, IL

breese

Premium Member

DTA's - Encription and Hauppauge

I have been working on my media box and trying to get the QAM channels to show up. I found the topic from WOW_Dan
»DTA's and encryption - A message from WOW!

It talks about being able to see the Basic and Broadcast HD channel names.

I can pickup the info on the Broadcast HD's but not the basic.
I have also seen where others are having simular issues.
I am in the NW Sub's of Chicago and would like to know if WOW is aware of this and or if there is something WOW can do to help.
I am including a log file of my QAM scan.

The Channels that do showup are
Feq:67 SID:244 WSNSh
Feq:73 SID:208 IONHD
Feq:73 SID:219 LIVHD
Feq:77 SID:200 ABCHD
Feq:77 SID:203 NBCHD
Feq:78 SID:202 FOXHD
Feq:78 SID:206 WGNDT
Feq:93 SID:204 MNTHD
Feq:93 SID:205 PBSHD
Feq:94 SID:201 CBSHD
Feq:94 SID:207 CIUHD
mogamer
join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer

said by breese:

I have been working on my media box and trying to get the QAM channels to show up. I found the topic from WOW_Dan
»DTA's and encryption - A message from WOW!

It talks about being able to see the Basic and Broadcast HD channel names.

I can pickup the info on the Broadcast HD's but not the basic.
I have also seen where others are having simular issues.
I am in the NW Sub's of Chicago and would like to know if WOW is aware of this and or if there is something WOW can do to help.
I am including a log file of my QAM scan.

The Channels that do showup are
Feq:67 SID:244 WSNSh
Feq:73 SID:208 IONHD
Feq:73 SID:219 LIVHD
Feq:77 SID:200 ABCHD
Feq:77 SID:203 NBCHD
Feq:78 SID:202 FOXHD
Feq:78 SID:206 WGNDT
Feq:93 SID:204 MNTHD
Feq:93 SID:205 PBSHD
Feq:94 SID:201 CBSHD
Feq:94 SID:207 CIUHD

The OTA channels are the only HD channels in clear QAM. All cable channels in clear QAM are in SD. Are you able to get the sd clear QAM channels? To be honest, most issues involving clear QAM channels are due to having a poor QAM tuner.

breese
Premium Member
Arlington Heights, IL

breese

Premium Member

There is nothing wrong with the tuner... In OTA mode, I see everything and it is labeled correctly.

In Cable Digital mode, the only ones that appear correctly (all others are labeled "Unknown") are the ones I have listed.
mogamer
join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer

said by breese:

There is nothing wrong with the tuner... In OTA mode, I see everything and it is labeled correctly.

In Cable Digital mode, the only ones that appear correctly (all others are labeled "Unknown") are the ones I have listed.

Cable tuners and ota tuners are two different animals and your tuner actually has two tuners (one ATSC and one QAM) built in. ATSC tuners pick-up ota signals, QAM tuners pick-up cable signals. Having a great ATSC tuner doesn't mean you'll have a great QAM tuner.

breese
Premium Member
Arlington Heights, IL

breese

Premium Member

It would sure be nice to find someone local that does get all the "missing" channels....
From the other posts I have read, I am not the only one having the issue and if in fact WOW is trying to become the leader and fix this type of stuff, then how about a response from them.

I have even gone as far as to IM WOW_Dan, who by the way has Always been a huge help in any issue I have ever had.

btw: There is nothing wrong with my card. Grabbing the HD channels proves that.

Now is there anyone in the Chicagoland area that DOES get all the QAM listings properly?

mix
join:2002-03-19
Romeo, MI

mix

Your problem is you can't tune the channels or that you can tune the channels but they are missing channel name/number info?

AlexE4
join:2006-12-16
Chicago, IL

AlexE4 to breese

to breese
I'm in Park Ridge here, I have a TV with a clearQAM tuner that functions just fine. Getting all the channels I should with it... Local HD's plus SD basic cable. No problems here.

breese
Premium Member
Arlington Heights, IL

breese to mix

Premium Member

to mix
Missing name/number info.
Card see's all the channels.

dfs
@wideopenwest.com

dfs to mogamer

Anon

to mogamer
8VSB is for OTA and QAM is for cable. Both are ATSC tuners

Just_Dan
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Denver, CO

Just_Dan to breese

Premium Member

to breese
said by breese:

It would sure be nice to find someone local that does get all the "missing" channels....
From the other posts I have read, I am not the only one having the issue and if in fact WOW is trying to become the leader and fix this type of stuff, then how about a response from them.

I have even gone as far as to IM WOW_Dan, who by the way has Always been a huge help in any issue I have ever had.

btw: There is nothing wrong with my card. Grabbing the HD channels proves that.

Now is there anyone in the Chicagoland area that DOES get all the QAM listings properly?

Not having ever used one of these tuners, I'm not really sure the specifics of how to set one up and configure it. I was hoping someone with experience on one of these products could hopefully shed some light on how they made it work.

breese
Premium Member
Arlington Heights, IL

breese

Premium Member

Dan,
I read someplace that you had installed a differnt card in a system.
by chance does it see all the Basic and HD Clear QAM channels?

I find it funny that I have no issues with the HD channels. They come thru perfect... channel # and name...
One just has to wounder

Just_Dan
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Denver, CO

Just_Dan

Premium Member

said by breese:

Dan,
I read someplace that you had installed a differnt card in a system.
by chance does it see all the Basic and HD Clear QAM channels?

I find it funny that I have no issues with the HD channels. They come thru perfect... channel # and name...
One just has to wounder

I installed a Ceton InfiniTV 4, which is a cablecard tuner. I never attempted using it for clearQAM, as the nature of the test was to troubleshoot issues many of our techs were having installing the cablecards in them. With the cablecard in the tuner, it takes care of learning all the tuning and actually decrypts the encrypted channels as well, depending on what services you're paying for.

While the basics are the same, the actual setup process can be very different. The software involved with getting the card setup is going to vary between companies, and I've never had a chance to work with one of these in the past.

breese
Premium Member
Arlington Heights, IL

breese

Premium Member

Last night I did another test of my card. I discovered that there are still a few analog channels on the cable but, they only pass the channel number , 2, 3, 4, etc... No channel ID info.
breese

breese

Premium Member

More followup
I pluged my 5 year old HD Viewsonic 47 inch TV into the cable and did a channel scan. Came out worse then my media system.

Of the analog channels it found, only channel 9 WGN9 came up.

The digital channels were a bigger surprise!
201 CBSHD
204 MNTHD
205 PBSHD
207 CIUHD

Everything else under Digital was along the lines of
(Dan I am using 60 as a reference because of our IM)
60-25 RF60-25
60-26 RF60-26
60-29 RF60-29
60-30 RF60-30
60-46 RF60-46
60-47 RF60-47
60-48 RF60-48
60-87 RF60-87
60-171 RF60-171

Needless to say the TV scans have nothing on the system card I am using.
Is there anything I can offer / do to assist WOW in correcting the QAM information?
breese

breese

Premium Member

Channels.xlsx.zip
21,468 bytes
After long discussions and emails with the programmers of Media Portal and the Schedules Direct support, it has been confirmed that WOW is not sending Clear QAM over cable (I am not using OTA) to all area's, and they might not be sending complete information as for channels to the Tribune service.

I am including a spreadsheet that is a few days of work that shows the results of a real QAM scan of WOW's cable along with the finding from Schedules Direct and the WOW Channel Guide.

As it can easly be seen, Even the handfull of HD channels that are being sent over Clear QAM, the information being forward to Tribune and SD do not match up there-for making it almost impossible for a channel location and show's information to be filled in properly.

One might think the TV stations just might frown on the fact that they cannot be located properly by users of such a service.