Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD
Motorola MB8611

1 recommendation

Chris123NT to tschmidt

to tschmidt

Re: No IPv6 yet, instead CGN?

said by tschmidt:

Since the last IPv4 /8 blocks were allocated a couple of years ago carrier NAT is inevitable. It is also surprising residential ISPs, with the notable exception of Comcast, seem to be doing little to roll out IPv6.

»www.nro.net/news/ipv4-fr ··· depleted

Interesting CGN is being deployed for DSL customers but not FIOS. I assume they will use the reclaimed addresses to provide IPv4 addresses to new FIOS customers. Another indication Verizon wants to walk away from copper.

/tom

Well yeah, there's that and the fact that GCN breaks ALL incoming remote access services. And since FiOS TV depends so heavily on remote access (remote DVR and other features) GCN on FiOS would actually cripple the advertising points for those features, as well as the whole smart home thing they're trying to push on FiOS as well.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

1 recommendation

tschmidt

MVM

said by Chris123NT:

... since FiOS TV depends so heavily on remote access (remote DVR and other features) GCN on FiOS would actually cripple the advertising points for those features,

Interesting, I'm not a Verizon customer anymore so don't know the specifics.

Do you know if remote access to customer equipment: DVR, Smart Home, etc is made by going directly to the IP of the customer's router or is it mediated by a Verizon server? If you go directly to your home IP then I agree CGN breaks access. If on the other hand you log into a Verizon server and the server mediates access then CGN is not an impediment. Only the public face of the Verizon server needs a public IP. Since the server is within the Verizon network access to customer's private IP address is not a problem.

/tom