uniqs
Dingaan
join:2002-02-19
Bath, ON

Dingaan to urbanriot

to urbanriot

Re: Old messages turning up in inbox

said by urbanriot:

The OP left emails on his mail server, his system kept track of which emails he'd already downloaded, the tracking function malfunctioned and he started re-downloading old messages again

Yes, I am sure that could happen. But could you explain how my wife's old emails would be part of the block of emails that were downloaded? My mail client is not configured to access her account yet her old emails were there along with a host of mine that had already been read and deleted. The other strange thing, was that webmail did not show those emails yet did show 39Mb being used.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

Last weekend I suggested this:
said by urbanriot:

The resolution is typically to set your mail client not to leave messages on the server (so ensure you have them downloaded on all your devices) which will 'flush' out your mail queue by deleting all the emails on the server and then re-enable the setting.

Did you try that?
MrPink
join:2003-08-15
Peterborough, ON

MrPink to Dingaan

to Dingaan
I have been following this thread with more interest than I normally do.

There seems to be two trains of thought, one is that this is a client side issue due to how his e-mail is or was set up, the other is that there is an issue with Cogeco and how old/deleted e-mails are handled on their end.

I would very much like to definitively know if this is a Cogeco thing or not. As I stated in my previous reply I very much do not want old deleted e-mails being regurgitated back to my family's Cogeco inbox's at random.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

It could be due to either side. I've seen both. For example, if Cogeco has a primary and secondary mail server that mirror each other, and the mirror isn't perfect (some deleted messages stay on the secondary server due to a software or communications issue), when they do a role swap, old messages get re-sent.
Dingaan
Bath, ON

Dingaan to MrPink

to MrPink
said by MrPink:

I would very much like to definitively know if this is a Cogeco thing or not. As I stated in my previous reply I very much do not want old deleted e-mails being regurgitated back to my family's Cogeco inbox's at random.

I would too! Imagine my wife had a lover on the side or something and this sort of thing happened
Dingaan

Dingaan to urbanriot

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

Did you try that?

Yes, I believe I did and webmail shows no messages (yet 39Mb used up) while WLM has 261 unread, including some of my wife's which were never on my computer previously. The key question I asked was:

"But could you explain how my wife's old emails would be part of the block of emails that were downloaded? My mail client is not configured to access her account yet her old emails were there along with a host of mine that had already been read and deleted."

BTW - I do appreciate the input here - the guys on the "help" line were next to useless on not it seems trained to listen carefully to the callers problem.
Dingaan

Dingaan to HeadSpinning

to HeadSpinning
said by HeadSpinning:

It could be due to either side. I've seen both. For example, if Cogeco has a primary and secondary mail server that mirror each other, and the mirror isn't perfect (some deleted messages stay on the secondary server due to a software or communications issue), when they do a role swap, old messages get re-sent.

I suspect something like this. Perhaps to do with webmail transition. Some of my accounts are on old webmail, some on new and on some there are two inboxes (both empty). But two telephone help line guys just stonewalled me, telling me problem was at my end.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot to MrPink

Premium Member

to MrPink
said by MrPink:

If you are not retaining your emails on Cogeco's server like the OP has configured, you won't experience this issue. The OP's issue I've seen many, many times since the days of Windows 95.
urbanriot

urbanriot to Dingaan

Premium Member

to Dingaan
said by Dingaan:

said by urbanriot:

Did you try that?

Yes, I believe I did and webmail shows no messages (yet 39Mb used up) while WLM has 261 unread, including some of my wife's which were never on my computer previously.

If you completely flushed out your email as directed and your webmail is completely empty, then this is a Cogeco question. No one here, unless they were a Cogeco employee, could explain to you why your inbox would report utilized space if you've completely flushed out your email.
Dingaan
Bath, ON

1 edit

Dingaan

said by urbanriot:

No one here, unless they were a Cogeco employee, could explain to you why your inbox would report utilized space if you've completely flushed out your email.

Cogeco agent I spoke to couldn't explain it either.

Just went to webmail. Still said 39Mb being used. There were three messages. Deleted those messages so they ended up in trash. Usage went up to 40Mb. Emptied trash - still 40Mb used. Logged out/in. No change.

Seems webmail counter is screwed.

If multiple messages appear again, it will be time to move this up several levels at Cogeco. But in the meantime life goes on.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

Maybe if you post a screenshot of your empty folder with space consumed a Cogeco employee might see it and look into the issue...?
MrPink
join:2003-08-15
Peterborough, ON

MrPink to Dingaan

to Dingaan
I can't imagine that your wife would want or need a lover on the side when she's got the Dingaan.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

haha that sounds rude! Hopefully a Cogeco rep has a response for you... at least you could reference to a phone tech this thread with screenshots.