dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

I am sad

For lo these last 24 years, my ears have been entertained by an NAD 3400 integrated amp, which amongst other benefits has a power supply that can supply enough current to keep even Henry Kloss speakers happy.

But, you know, all my music sources these days are digital, and switching everything though the TV isn't cutting it any more, so it's time for an upgrade in the amp department.

So I shall try to sell the 3400 to a good home rather than leaving it to gather mildew in the basement. But I find the prospect makes me feel unhappy. The NAD is not perfect, but I have grown accustomed to it.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
I hope the 3400 finds a good home and you find an amp that makes you happy!
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

Bach
Premium
join:2002-02-16
Flint, MI
reply to dave
I got myself a NAD 7150 receiver back in the early 80's. Hooked it up to my beloved Altec 15's. At first it sounded wonderful, much cleaner sound than the HeathKit AR-29 it replaced. The AR-29 was good, but the NAD was so much better.

But soon the electronics started to drift. All the FM stations would tune best 0.1 MHz off the correct frequency. Then about 7 years in the phono preamp developed a high pitched sine wave at all times. It didn't seem built to last.

So I reconnected the AR-29 and now it sounded better. The NAD had deteriorated to sounding worse than the AR-29. The NAD is now a memory, the 40 year old AR-29 is still in service.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to darcilicious
I already have bought a Marantz SR 5007, which is perfectly fine, probably acoustically superior, and is quite delightful to use, but I have to say it doesn't look as muscular as the NAD.

(And hey, I got 7 amplifiers for the price I paid for 2, a couple of decades ago )