share rss forum feed

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
Reviews:
·TELUS

[WIN8] Windows 'Blue' to be Windows 8.1

The Windows Blue operating system update is likely to be named "Windows 8.1" when it hits later this summer, according to sources.

"Microsoft officials supposedly have decided on the final name for Windows Blue. The final decision, one of my sources told me, is that it will be Windows 8.1.

The client version of Blue, codenamed Windows Blue, is a refresh of Windows 8. It is expected to be released to manufacturing around August of this year. As I've blogged a few times, Microsoft is planning to position Blue as part of the Windows 8 wave, not as Windows 9."

Ful Article: Mary Jo Foley -
»www.zdnet.com/microsofts-windows···0013391/

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
I guess they may just ran out of creativity with respect to naming... or maybe W8 is doing much better than we all think.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to chachazz
So, has Microsoft said if it is going to be a free upgrade from Win 8.0? It is not a Service Pack which is what it should be.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 edit
They can't (?!) charge extra for a service pack.

If it's 8.1, it could be a $19.95 upgrade for most, and free for those who bought Win8 in the last 30 days or so before the release of 8.1.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
said by aurgathor:

They can't (?!) charge extra for a service pack.

If it's 8.1, it could be a $19.95 upgrade for most, and free for those who bought Win8 in the last 30 days or so before the release of 8.1.

I'll just quote myself from your earlier "[poll] what will happen with windows 8" thread:

said by Octavean:

I think all of this has been outlined in tech articles. Presumably,....

Windows Blue will be released in mid to quasi mid 2013.

Windows Blue will be low cost or free.

Windows Blue will maintain the Windows 8 nomenclature (like OS X)

Windows Blue will include a "UI change" (something many have been requesting but what form this change will take is unknown)

Windows Blue will have a unifying SDK with Windows Phone 8

Windows Blue will start the annual OS release cycle (again, like OS X)

I think all of the above is likely true simply because it makes sense,....IMO,....but then Microsoft doesn't always make sense,....soooo,.....

Low cost or free makes a lot of sense if the Windows Blue upgrade is applicable only to Windows 8.

Those not on Windows 8 in theory could upgrade to Windows 8 at full price then upgrade to Windows Blue AKA Windows 8.1.

And no, I'm not kidding as you suggested before.

In order to be true to form and ape Apple at every turn I wouldn't be too surprised if Microsoft made Windows Blue AKA Windows 8.1 download only from the Microsoft store (again making Windows 8 a prerequisite). I'm not saying they will or even that I heard it somewhere (I didn't), only that it wouldn't be all that surprising,....

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
said by Octavean:

I'll just quote myself from your earlier "[poll] what will happen with windows 8" thread:

Free only to those who got Win 8 within a certain time period. Overall low cost is possible with yearly licensing.

Windows Blue will include a "UI change" (something many have been requesting but what form this change will take is unknown)

All possible.

In order to be true to form and ape Apple at every turn I wouldn't be too surprised if Microsoft made Windows Blue AKA Windows 8.1 download only from the Microsoft store (again making Windows 8 a prerequisite). I'm not saying they will or even that I heard it somewhere (I didn't), only that it wouldn't be all that surprising,....

Exceedingly unlikely for both. The prerequisite will most likely all supported desktop OSs at the time of the release.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

1 edit
said by aurgathor:

said by Octavean:

Free only to those who got Win 8 within a certain time period. Overall low cost is possible with yearly licensing.

All possible.

Exceedingly unlikely for both. The prerequisite will most likely all supported desktop OSs at the time of the release.

It makes sense for Microsoft to sell Windows 8 and by extension Windows Blue 8.1 however and to whomever will buy it. The only reason I said I wouldn't be surprised if there were such an odd restriction is because Microsoft has been so off the rails lately as well as a tendency to copy other business models.

Microsoft has based pricing on time of purchase before when it comes to upgrades. However, Windows 8 is fairly new and the upgrade Windows 8.1 will be released in such a short period of time from the initial OS release that its almost unprecedented. It's difficult to see a pattern if such things haven't happened much before.

***edit***

Actually I take that back. There have been Windows releases that were fairly close together before like Windows 98 and Windows 98SE for example. Those were about a year apart IIRC.

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

5 recommendations

reply to chachazz
Windows 8.11 for Workgroups?

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

1 recommendation

reply to chachazz
Ran across this, decided it would go well with this thread

»www.theverge.com/2013/4/8/415993···strategy

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
Thanks!

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to dib22
said by dib22:

Ran across this, decided it would go well with this thread

»www.theverge.com/2013/4/8/415993···strategy

Indeed, thanks for that. I'm going to quote myself here again:

said by Octavean:

Now I'll quote part of the article:

quote:
Microsoft knows that most consumers get Windows pre-installed on devices, rather than boxed copies, and the company is moving to acknowledge that. Windows 8.1 (Windows Blue) will be pushed to existing devices via the Windows Store at a low-cost designed to ensure users upgrade, similar to how Apple manages its yearly OS X upgrades. It will include improved cloud sync options, Bing integration, and changes for smaller 7- and 8-inch hardware. Lowering the cost for OEMs to build Windows machines is also an important part of Blue and the future of Windows, to ensure hardware makers continue to focus on Windows instead of Android, Chrome, or other open-source software.

Emphasis mine,....

I'm not saying its exactly the same as I said earlier (its not) but its not altogether dissimilar either,...

Woody79_00
I run Linux am I still a PC?
Premium
join:2004-07-08
united state
Hmm...this seems like a Service Pack...

I would hope they wont charge for this. To charge for a Service Pack just isn't right. I personally would never pay for a Service Pack...which just fixes the things that should have worked from the get go.

If i was still using Win 8, I would wait see. If MS charges for this, pass on it...don't pay for Service Packs....Windows 8 will continue to receive updates for sometime....there is nothing in Windows Blue worth paying for if your already running Win 8 JMO....

Now if MS makes the update free, and your already on Win 8 then why not give it a shot

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to captokita
said by captokita:

Windows 8.11 for Workgroups?

LOL, good one.

I'm thinking free service pack type release.

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
I certainly hope it's a service pack, but these days you don't know. They left much to be desired with the metro interface.

I wonder if you can flash rt devices if necessary if they get bricked during the process.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Octavean
said by Octavean:

Now I'll quote part of the article:

quote:
Microsoft knows that most consumers get Windows pre-installed on devices, rather than boxed copies, and the company is moving to acknowledge that. Windows 8.1 (Windows Blue) will be pushed to existing devices via the Windows Store at a low-cost designed to ensure users upgrade, similar to how Apple manages its yearly OS X upgrades. It will include improved cloud sync options, Bing integration, and changes for smaller 7- and 8-inch hardware. Lowering the cost for OEMs to build Windows machines is also an important part of Blue and the future of Windows, to ensure hardware makers continue to focus on Windows instead of Android, Chrome, or other open-source software.

Emphasis mine,....

I'm not saying its exactly the same as I said earlier (its not) but its not altogether dissimilar either,...

That's a lot of BS! My new computer certainly didn't cost LESS because Dell put a "cheap" OS on it! I'll be pissed if this blue service pack is NOT free to those of us who bought new computers with Win 8 since last Oct 26. If it is not free, I probably will pass on it and God help Microsoft if they decide to tell me next year that they are ending support for Windows 8 original version! Behavior like that is what would kill Microsoft. If Microsoft wants to really seriously begin moving to yearly updates that the user must pay for then they need to grandfather (at LEAST for the first yearly update...and should be for the life of Win 8) those who bought new computers with Win 8 thinking there would be at least one free Service Pack and a reasonable supported life of the OS WITHOUT ANY FURTHER EXPENSE to the user.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
Win 8 doesn't appear on the eol list currently, and if they did I would grab a copy of Win 7 in heartbeat for a Win 8 machine.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
reply to chachazz
Kinda like OS X 10.0.x - 10.8.x?

old_tech
Premium
join:2013-03-31
Springfield, IL
reply to chachazz
Actually it will be 7.3, or NT Kernel 6.3.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by old_tech:

Actually it will be 7.3, or NT Kernel 6.3.

... which is of course 4.2 in real money.

(First release of NT had version number 3.1)

Madness
Like a flea circus at a dog show

join:2000-01-05
Quincy, MA
reply to chachazz
So it's what, a rehash of what was done w/ Windows 98 SE?

Andy from CA
Premium
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA
reply to chachazz
Just give me back my start button (menus) and I'll be

jtudor
Xm 60's On 6 Freak
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-07
Morganton, NC
reply to chachazz
Seems like I read somewhere that Windows Blue would be a subscription model, with annual renewal.

Is that still part of the plan? If so, I will skip on Blue (8.1) unless it is forced on me.
--
Best of luck

"Do, or Do not, there is no try!" Yoda

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Andy from CA
said by Andy from CA:

According to Mary Jo Foley, you will be able to boot directly to the desktop and probably also the start button will be brought back as an option.

»www.zdnet.com/microsofts-windows···0014075/

--

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
quote:
Microsoft officials have publicly maintained that users are not confused by the new Windows 8 interface and that they find it "easy to start to learn,"
Yeah, right.

And I have dozens of MS buildings for sale in Redmond.

quote:
especially on touch screens.
OK, it's somewhat easier on a comparatively small touch screen.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

said by Andy from CA:

According to Mary Jo Foley, you will be able to boot directly to the desktop and probably also the start button will be brought back as an option.

Would I be pushing my luck to hope they restore Aero Glass?
--
Ron Paul 2012 »www.ronpaul2012.com
Beyond AM. Beyond FM. (((XM)))

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
I doubt Microsoft will do that. But you can follow this very long thread which is about Aero glass for Win 8 in beta:

»www.msfn.org/board/topic/161788-···_st__760
--

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

said by Andy from CA:

I consider Mary Jo Foley and her sources credible but to be fair she was talking in terms of "if" so even if its likely its not definitive even by her own words.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to chachazz
Windows software in general :"releasing software full of bugs which will force users to upgrade for years"
--
Well, does your car at least turn into something else? Sometimes I turn it into a trashcan. Hmm...

Andy from CA
Premium
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

said by Andy from CA:

Excellent news, Mahalo!

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Octavean
She wasn't the only source that is saying this.