1 edit

Octavean to Kerodo

MVM

to Kerodo

Re: [WIN8] Windows 'Blue' to be Windows 8.1

said by Kerodo:

said by JohnInSJ:

said by Mele20:

Is the problem because you are such a rigid personality that you cannot fathom having an OS that pleases the vast majority of those who use it, but want one that only pleases some?

There is more that a little irony in that statement on rigidity, after all not accepting change could be viewed as being rigid.

There's good change and there's bad change. None of this was or is good change...

What is considered "good" and what is considered "bad" is relative and subjective. People often say, its bad, its sux, its awful but rarely if ever say "I don't like it" or "its not for me". They remove themselves from the equation and jump strait to absolutes which makes it even more difficult for them to realize that they are only expressing an opinion.

The stronger the opinion, (the more emotional or invested) the harder it is to see,...

Or rather thats the way I see it,......

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to BlitzenZeus

to BlitzenZeus
said by BlitzenZeus:

Desktop and server operating systems were reported to be only 20% of the devices browsing the web recently.

I'd like to see a more detailed breakdown and a source on that because there are certain sites with certain activity (i.e. twitter) that are 'optimized' for portable devices with relatively small screens, but I don't think those devices would be particularly good for more traditional webpages.

Another thing is actually revenue from licenses. I don't know how much money MS receives for a copy of Win8 that comes with a phone, comes with a tablet, or comes with a traditional desktop, but I have a feeling that the Win8 license for the phone would be less expensive than the desktop license, and possibly by a lot.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

It was posted to one of the topics here, but after trying to find it in a search engine for that or something similar I kept getting garbage. Most of the tweens are tweeting, are on facebook, watching videos, or are playing games. Mobile browsers are more accepting of most desktop designed pages than previous browsers, but the most popular sites on the web work well with mobile browsers, otherwise have special mobile browser only versions.

Their mobile share for smartphones is anemic, and their share of apps that are available for other phones is limited as companies don't want to develop apps for them or blackberry.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
If they charge to go from 8.0 to 8.1, then I guess I'll be finished with Win8 sooner then later.

IMO, I fail to see why they charge for the OS anyhow. As it seems to be in beta all the time, with all the updates and patched. Give the OS away from free, then charge for a programs.

But then again, I am a part time linux user.
Snakeoil

Snakeoil to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
»www.geek.com/apps/micros ··· 1555116/
quote:
Microsoft confirms Windows 8.1 is a free upgrade

robman50
join:2010-12-14

robman50 to chachazz

to chachazz
So they are bringing back the 'Start' button?
»www.cbc.ca/news/technolo ··· art.html
Matt7
join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH

Matt7

said by robman50:

So they are bringing back the 'Start' button?
»www.cbc.ca/news/technolo ··· art.html

Yes to activate the "start screen" instead of having to use the hot corner or windows key to do so.
robman50
join:2010-12-14

robman50

I don't understand why some people are bothered by not having an Start button. Since I am just learning Windows 8, I have noticed that the hot corner is where the Start button normally is.

What I would find much better is that they bring back the classic Start Menu from XP/Vista/7 rather then finding a 3rd party program (Classic Shell was it?) and it modifying the system.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by robman50:

I don't understand why some people are bothered by not having an Start button. Since I am just learning Windows 8, I have noticed that the hot corner is where the Start button normally is.

The start BUTTON not being there is an issue for enterprises - needing to retrain people who were taught to press Start, then select one of 10 pre-installed corporate Apps.

For an enterprise, the button leading to a full screen showing 10 tiles (their 10 approved applications) is no different than the button leading to a menu of 10 items (their 10 approved applications)

That's why the button is coming back.