Search similar:

uniqs
EuroTrash5
join:2007-08-30
Austin, TX

EuroTrash5

[TWC] New modem, slower speed

Hello,

I bought a Motorola SB6141 for my TWC Turbo internet. With my previous modem (leased from TWC, Ambit U10C018) I would get download speed of 24-25mbps and upload speed of 1.9mbps. After I had my new modem provisioned, my download speed dropped to 13-14mbps. I contacted TWC via chat and they stated that my package supported 15mbps download and 2mbps upload. They also mentioned that the reason I was seeing faster download speed was due to the fact that I was using their modem which is optimized for their internet services. I am kind of disappointed to see this drop in download speed. They had me power cycle the modem and run a speed test again with similar results (15mbps down - 1.9mbps up). In the end they blamed this issue on the hardware and suggested I contact the manufacturer. Any suggestions?
For your information I'm located in the Austin, TX area.

Thanks,
Jer

anon_5224
join:2001-10-23
united state
Asus RT-AC66

anon_5224

whoever BS'ed you about a modem being optimized for TWC Internet needs some recursive training and fast; hope you got a survey call after you hung up

the reason your speeds have dropped is because there is no Powerboost for DOCSIS 3.0 modems on the TWC network. D2 modems get 10Mbps of 'boost, but there's a trade-off in that your modem must use just a single channel for downstream communication, so it could become degraded or saturated at times causing speeds to go below 15Mbps. D3, on the other hand, bonds multiple channels (at least 4 in most areas) so you'll almost always get your 15Mbps down, but no more than that. Hope this helps, and sorry that your support rep didn't know much.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

There is no Powerboost on 15/1 in Hawaii. I couldn't wait to get rid of it. It is garbage gimmick and it ruins all speed tests except Sam Knows.

anon_5224
united state

1 recommendation

anon_5224

Hawaii is a very unique area for TWC, and is not a good representation of the larger TWC network.
EuroTrash5
Austin, TX

EuroTrash5

kba4, thanks for your response. I already had a feeling that I was receiving BS from the rep.
Would you know if I upgrade to the Extreme package if I would receive the advertised download speed (up to 30 Mbps)?

atxneighbor
@reliablehosting.com

atxneighbor

Anon

said by EuroTrash5:

kba4, thanks for your response. I already had a feeling that I was receiving BS from the rep.
Would you know if I upgrade to the Extreme package if I would receive the advertised download speed (up to 30 Mbps)?

that would be a yes.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

1 recommendation

hobgoblin to anon_5224

Premium Member

to anon_5224
said by anon_5224:

Hawaii is a very unique area for TWC, and is not a good representation of the larger TWC network.

Amen
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to anon_5224

Premium Member

to anon_5224
said by anon_5224:

And what does your prejudiced comment have to do with the fact that Power Boost is a stupid gimmick and it is great that Oceanic TWC saw that and got rid of it at 15/1? There is still a LITTLE autonomy in regards to the "divisions" that used to be "franchises" and were much better when each franchise had more autonomy. Autonomy gave pride and that is almost all gone now on the Mainland TWC divisions and there is suffering here too even though we still have a bit more autonomy.

Oahu better represents TWC than many of the mainland TWC divisions. Oahu RR was one of the first and was THE LEADER for many years. The neighbor islands are the ones that suffer and are not good examples of TWC Internet (Standard tier).

anon_5224
united state
Asus RT-AC66

anon_5224

my comment has as much to do with your opinion of Powerboost as said opinion has to do with OP's question

You should know that I too feel the changes happening at TWC, and am on the inside as they're happening. I've only been a part of this company for about 2 years now but I remember fondly the days of old; I'd call in and talk for hours with a rep about services and technology, etc. This was before Digital TV, before RR had tiers of service (uncapped and I believe not even DOCSIS), a time when Music Choice was a standalone product requiring a 'digital cable radio' box... The company was entirely local, without even a website. Then AOL-TW happened and in the end TWC spun off and went public on its own. Keep in mind that what you and even myself perceive as a lack of control on a local level is due to the fact that we are now a public company driven by investors because we must rely on their capital to grow.

I'm excited to be part of this company; it's been a longtime goal of mine. I had a very different perspective prior to working here, one that very much aligned with some of your posts which I've read.
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k to EuroTrash5

to EuroTrash5
EuroTrash Google fiber is coming soon for you

atxneighbor
@reliablehosting.com

atxneighbor

Anon

said by patt2k:

EuroTrash Google fiber is coming soon for you

google fiber will most likely connect its first customer mid 2014.
EuroTrash5
Austin, TX

EuroTrash5

I saw the news. Unfortunately I am outside of the city limit.

atxneighbor
@reliablehosting.com

atxneighbor

Anon

said by EuroTrash5:

I saw the news. Unfortunately I am outside of the city limit.

how far out and which direction?
EuroTrash5
Austin, TX

EuroTrash5

I'm in Round Rock