uniqs

Optimus2357
Premium Member
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI

Optimus2357

Premium Member

New DOCSIS standard?

I ran into this video (which is old) while browsing around and made me think, where is cable internet going to go long term?

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 021rkiIc

There is talk of DOCSIS 3.1 and hypothetical speeds of 10Gbps/1Gbps. But is there anything else that can be done besides more channels and wider frequency blocks? Like different tech all together that could use the same copper?I know cost is a concern, but eventually RG6 will hit wall like RJ11 did, right? Not looking for anything official of course, just grape vine.

ikyuaoki
join:2011-04-12
Wichita, KS

ikyuaoki

DOCSIS 4.0 does not exist today. there's are currently DOCSIS 3.1 planning where i am looking forward to the DOCSIS 3.1 specifiation because that DOCSIS 3.1 spec will use the new more efficient spectrum format signal unlike the QAM format at 6Mhz channel in an america or 8Mhz channel in the europe.

Optimus2357
Premium Member
West Warwick, RI

Optimus2357

Premium Member

Yea, I think there going to go with 24Mhz? What if they took all the video and made it Video over IP? Would that clear up a big chunk? Or in the end would it use up more?

ikyuaoki
join:2011-04-12
Wichita, KS

ikyuaoki

there won't be 24Mhz channel band. the new efficient spectrum format will uses a very small bandwidth spectrum like about pretty 200Khz band each subchannels of 6Mhz channel standard.

video over IP is already exist today like you could watch on the hulu videos or youtube videos also.

CoxVegas
join:2011-07-25
Las Vegas, NV

1 edit

CoxVegas to Optimus2357

to Optimus2357

Optimus2357
Premium Member
West Warwick, RI

Optimus2357 to ikyuaoki

Premium Member

to ikyuaoki
Pretty sure its going to be 24Mhz, check out this article.

»www.lightreading.com/blo ··· 40151838

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to Optimus2357

Premium Member

to Optimus2357
said by Optimus2357:

What if they took all the video and made it Video over IP? Would that clear up a big chunk? Or in the end would it use up more?

Then cox subs could look forward to internet speed slowdowns when their TV is on[ala uverse]
lilstone87
join:2009-04-09
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by dvd536:

said by Optimus2357:

What if they took all the video and made it Video over IP? Would that clear up a big chunk? Or in the end would it use up more?

Then cox subs could look forward to internet speed slowdowns when their TV is on[ala uverse]

But wouldn't this free up more bandwidth for internet? As bandwidth would only be required when watching tv, compared to now where the bandwidth needs to be reserved at all times.
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

ajwees41 to ikyuaoki

Premium Member

to ikyuaoki
doesn't the Cox connect TV app use IPvideo?
ajwees41

ajwees41 to dvd536

Premium Member

to dvd536
why they could use different frequencies like they do now.
lilstone87
join:2009-04-09
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by ajwees41:

why they could use different frequencies like they do now.

The real question is, when will they open up, and start putting use to frequencies up to the 2GHz range. I do see companys like cox putting to use a IPTV style of service in the future. Because it doesn't look like they plan on finishing a build out on a FTTH network any time soon in the near future. I personally think it is silly though, because of how restricted they are now, and still will be even with future upgrade's on the upstream side of things.
SlashG42
join:2002-02-13
Metairie, LA
·AT&T FTTP

SlashG42 to Optimus2357

to Optimus2357
Given that a lot of currently-deployed cable is not 2.4GHz, it will be a while before higher frequencies are used.

I see something more like U-Verse where it's Video over IP, with each tuner using a channel only when it's on. Think cell tower topology. You switch off your TV, and your neighbor's modem goes from 14 bonded channels to 15.

Using upstream pooling where all video clients on a node use one upstream channel with CDMA/TDMA is obvious if it's not here already to some degree. A channel/program change request can't be much more than a few hundred bytes.

Keep in mind, 1GHz tuners on cable modems are still relatively new.

QAM 384, 512, or 768, or 1024 is coming for sure.

Optimus2357
Premium Member
West Warwick, RI

Optimus2357

Premium Member

Ok, a couple points.

1. I think comparison between ATT and Cox is not entirely useful, since a lot of their infrastructure is outdated, at least last mile, so there is a large bottle neck there. That bottle neck handicapped their IPTV over FTTN. RJ11 is RIP

2. Im not talking HBO Go, or the like. I see it being more like what they did when they went from Analog phone to digital phone. And with that, SDV and other such methods would go way of the pulse dial phones.

3. If Cox did pull it off, it would give near instant data collection to and from the box. Wouldn't it be interesting if a system could be put into place, like Tivo's Thumbs up/thumbs down, that would serve to both predict series recordings and rating data. Forget Neilson Family, imagine millions of ratings dictating what show get which ratings. Or custom advertisements? Google seemed to make alot of money with it.
SlashG42
Metairie, LA
·AT&T FTTP

SlashG42

I'm talking something loosely resembling U-Verse in that IP video boxes would have a few HD channels coming through on one channel. Channels that no one's watching on that node would not get sent out. It would allow Cox to allocate current channels' bandwidth to data.

It would not steal bandwidth from your modem like U-Verse does. Same cable, different frequency, just like now. If you can push a solid 30+mbits over one channel, it seems to be a waste to not stack multiple MPEG streams onto one frequency channel.

Think nodes being pure CMTS hardware, no TV gear at all. Set top boxes that are basically channel-hopping modems, but working in a separate frequency block from your modem.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

2 edits

DocDrew

Premium Member

Sounds like you're describing SDV with switching video streams on QAMs... which can switch 2-10 video streams on each QAM on demand when requested by the cable box. Cox has done this in some areas.

The channel switching from SDV to data isn't far off, it's part of the CCAP Cablelabs standard, originally developed by Comcast and TWC:
»www.cablelabs.com/cablem ··· cap.html
»dvac-scte.org/presentati ··· 20v1.ppt

Cox public comments on CCAP:
»btreport.net/2012/10/cox ··· p-plans/

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· e8bWG7Vo
SlashG42
Metairie, LA

SlashG42

Yep. Was at a total loss for the terminology.