spc
uniqs
Ostracus
join:2011-09-05
Henderson, KY

Ostracus to wr0ngway

to wr0ngway

Re: MoCA losing connection

Well my cause may be different than yours. I'm working on my issues in another thread in this forum. So far two Verizon Actiontecs (E&F) and one Actiontec (G) have been up for several days. Splitters are important. Switch to regular splitters for a start. Check your coax stats to see if they're above 200.
wr0ngway
join:2013-04-07
East Weymouth, MA

wr0ngway

Ok, did a little more digging. I upgraded all my moca direct path splitters to be moca compatible so that my coax network looks like the below.

Holland 4-way: "Splitter, 4-Way, MoCA enabling, 2-2150Mhz, Direct TV Approved" on Amazon
RCA 2-way: "RCA DH24SPR Two Way 2.4 Ghz Bi-Di Splitter" on Amazon

Cable Entry --> Motorola 484095 +15dB Amp --> POE Filter --> Holland 4-way

--> LivingRoom --> RCA 2 way
        --> Actiontec
        --> Other 2-way
            --> Tivo Premiere (Old model, no moca)
            --> Cable Modem

--> Loft --> RCA 2 way
        --> Actiontec
        --> Tivo HD

--> Bedroom --> RCA 2 way
        --> Actiontec
        --> Tivo HD

--> Termination Cap (normally connected to other rooms, minimizing while debugging)

My Router is a WNDR3700v2 with openwrt 12.09-rc1, uplink to cable modem, with a LAN port connected to the LivingRoom Actiontec. I have another WNDR3700v2 in the Loft (wifi extender, also makes it easy to iperf just the coax link). All three Actiontecs are MI424WR (rev G). When all is connected, coax links are all above 200 (and iperf reports 130+). I have my router setup to collect/graph ping statistics to all three Actiontecs. Every 30 minutes or so, the Actiontec(s) lose the coax link for a minute or more. If I power down the Bedroom Actiontec (power only, still wired in), then the coax link between livingroom/loft is rock solid. I haven't tried unplugging a different one and/or swapping devices yet, maybe this weekend when the family can't moan :)

Any ideas?
wr0ngway

wr0ngway

So, the connection is rock solid when any two of my actiontecs are powered on (all three stay wired into the coax), but once the third one is powered on, it becomes less reliable - maybe out for a minute every 30 minutes or so. Anyone else with multiple actiontecs doing long term ping monitoring of the connection - is this normal? Any help appreciated, thanks.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

Please post your MOCA LAN stats.
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »How do I check MOCA stats?
wr0ngway
East Weymouth, MA

wr0ngway

Click for full size
2 devices working from coaxlr
Click for full size
3 devices working from coaxlr
Click for full size
3 devices, coaxbr ping failing, from coaxlr
Click for full size
3 devices, coaxbr ping failing, from coaxloft
Sorry for the slow response, the family only has so much patience, so I can only do it when they aren't around

I have three devices, coaxlr (livingroom), coaxloft (loft), and coaxbr (bedroom). The coaxlr and coaxloft have been connected all week without issue, coaxbr was wired in but powered off.

The first snapshot of coax stats comes from coaxlr when only 2 devices (coaxlr, coaxloft) were powered on.

I power on coaxbr.

The second stats comes from coaxlr, whilst all three devices are working (pingable)

I wait

The third stats comes from coaxlr when pinging coaxbr consistently fails. The pings start off 100% successful, and degrade over time, so the image is once I can no longer get a single ping through.

The fourth stats comes from coaxloft as another viewpoint of coaxbr being consistently unpingable.

Note that the failure scenario is not always the same, sometimes none of the actiontecs are reachable from any other. However, with any 2 actiontecs connected and powered on, the connection is rock solid. Once I power on the third, things are ok for a while (30m or so), but always end up degrading.

Also, as you can see from the stats, the actiontec thinks it still has a coax connection. Weird, right?

These are all Actiontec MI424WR-GEN2 (Rev G), non-verizon branded (bought from ebay from b-ysell4less, seems like a decent guy, sells a lot of these, only mention as an aid in searching), and have firmware 30.0.16.13.

I've seen others with similar configurations report similar problems, so I'm wondering if its just an issue with this Rev G - does anyone have multiple of these devices working together by themselves?

Not sure if this matters, but I am also unable to keep the "Broadband connection (Ethernet)" in a disabled state. It always seems to return after a reboot even though I have the Enabled flag unchecked in "Advanced -> System Settings -> Auto WAN Detection"

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

Those stats look good. No indication of a problem with your coax connection. Not sure what to suggest at this point.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

As OP mentioned, I've also seen reports of non-Verizon G units having issues. Maybe it's simply that?
Ostracus
join:2011-09-05
Henderson, KY

Ostracus

Maybe. Course much like me, one may be a bum unit. BTW I got my non-Verizon units from the same seller. Small world.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

That guys sold a LOT of units from what I can gather reading various forums and from Google searches.
wr0ngway
East Weymouth, MA

wr0ngway to Ostracus

to Ostracus
I don't think its a bum unit since I have a solid moca connection for any 2 of the 3 connected (or if it is, I can't figure out a way to tell which one without buying a fourth, hopefully good, unit). Its just the presence of the third device that causes the flakiness

I have a friend that has a ECB2200 that he isn't using, maybe I'll try swap that in and see what happens.
wr0ngway

wr0ngway

So swapping out one of the units (coaxbr) with a ECB2200, and I now have a rock solid connection across all 3 endpoints. Either I got lucky w.r.t. swapping out a bum unit, or there is just some weird firmware bug in these Rev Gs which only exhibits itself with 3 (or more?) units.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

I personally think there's something going on with the non-Verizon G units (don't know if it's hardware or software). Too many complaints out there. For that reason I stayed away from the rev G and got a Verizon rev. I a month or so ago. It works fine with my mix of C, D, and E units.