sims
join:2013-04-06

1 edit

sims

switched to uverse dsl nvg510 restarts at random

Click for full size
dsl.txt
39,011 bytes

the modem appears to restart at random i cant tell from the log but the line stats all reset to 0

this is after about one day of usage (left side)
sitting idle over the weekend (right side)
my data usually runs between down 6012 and 6015
upload stays at 766 for some reason the 6Mb uverse plan is supposed to have 1mb up right?

nvg510 log attached

if anyone knows a more reliable way of logging the nvg510 please let me know

also i noticed that 2012/07/13 19:34:19 is the first use date but my service was installed on the 19th of march 2013 does that mean that att gave me a used modem?

what i would like to do is either get this to a level of stability on par with the dsl service i had before or go back to the 3Mb service i had before

more info about whats going on for anyone who cares to read it

on the 15th of march i get a call from someone who claims to be with att i now know he worked for "Signia Marketing" and was calling on att's behalf letting me know that i could get "fiber optic internet" at up to 12MB speed if i switched from the 3Mb att dsl service i had since 2009 and thanked me for being a loyal att customer since 1997 so i agreed to the switch on the terms that;

i would no longer need dsl filters on everything

its fiber optic no line degradation because of distance

should be even more reliable than the dsl

i will get a wired only modem if possible

now my dsl service needed to be reset once every other month or so but no line problems or otherwise just the usual Motorola 2210 burn out every couple of years or so but i have a spare on hand so that's not much of an issue anymore takes less than a minute to swap them out

now on the 16th i call into att direct because i did not get an install date from the Signia guy they tell me that the order has not been written up yet so they offer to do that for me instead of waiting on Signia to do it at some future date we agree on a install date of the 19th and i request wired modem if available she states that she does not believe that a wired only modem is available for uverse service but writes in the notes to the installer that i would prefer a wired modem

19th install date installer arrives with a little brown box i discover whats being installed is in fact ipdsl service within half an hour the nvg510 is installed the installer notes that a wired modem is available they just don't have any in stock noting a push by att to use ipads for everything appears to be working fine so the installer gives me his number and leaves

about 20 minutes later i check the speed of my new uverse connection it runs at 6.1 mb down and 1.01 mb up on speedtest.net i check the modem sync rate to see 6025 down and 1055 up
i call the technician and tell him the that the connection is only running at 6Mb instead of the 12Mb that was supposed to be installed he tells me i need to call att to get it resolved so i call att
they tell me the installer should have caught that before he left so they would send someone else out to fix it on the 20th

20th same technician arrives early morning checks line from outside box and decides 6Mb is the best i can get and i need to take it up with att

i call att and ask about lowering down to the 6mb plan
first person tells me that it will be the same $40 i was paying for 12MB for 6Mb and that i cant switch back to dsl service

second person tells me he doesn't think i can switch back to the dsl service and the 6Mb plan is the same rate

third person cant speak good English and tells me that i can switch back to the 3mb dsl service but not at the same price plan i had 2 days before

21st i call att again and ask about getting my uverse switched to the 6mb plan because i cant get the 12mb service he tells me that the installer downgraded my line to the 6mb plan for $30 on the 20th even though not one of people i talked to on the 20th mentioned it

april 1st i call and ask about getting a full 1mb upload tech notes a large number of line errors notes that i am only about 6000 feet away by their map and should be able to get the 12Mb and sends a tech out next day

april 2nd same technician arrives with weather of 40°F and rain
after several hours comes to the conclusion that i am to far away to get 12Mb service being 9000 feet away by wire but states that he has gotten rid of some bridge tap where the line was connected to three other places which resolves the modems complaint with missing dsl filters he says i can go back to dsl service if i want but its a pita

and thats it if you read all that your up to date with whats happening with me and att and thats 3 hours of time lining and typing and ive gotten tired of looking over it ill probably think of more later but thats it for now

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by sims:

... april 2nd same technician arrives with weather of 40°F and rain
after several hours comes to the conclusion that i am to far away to get 12Mb service being 9000 feet away by wire but states that he has gotten rid of some bridge tap where the line was connected to three other places which resolves the modems complaint with missing dsl filters he says i can go back to dsl service if i want but its a pita

Your SNR is varying from 6.0 dB to 9.1 dB, which isn't good; it should be stable. Your attenuation of 38.0 dB suggest the loop is less than 9,000 feet; at 9,156 feet I was seeing attenuation at 51.0 dB. My SNR was a stable 11.0 dB. That same loop dropped to 6.1 db with ADSL2+ (Sonic.net "Fusion" instead of AT&T) for the same 51.0 dB attenuation. But AT&T sync was 3008 (legacy ADSL 3.0/.512 "Pro" tier), while Sonic.net sync is 5700 (no tiers; just as fast as established stable sync).

Your sync at 6012 to 6015 falls a very thin hair short of the 6016 required for stable 6.0 Mbps service with ADSL. I don't know what their required sync rate is for 6.0 Mbps ADSL2+ service.

SNR problems like yours could be in the plant, or on the premises. As matters currently exist, 3.0 Mbps is the best your loop can sustain (could be as high as 5.0 Mbps with Sonic.net "Fusion", which doesn't cap to tiers; but Sonic.net is only available in California).

If you could get the statistics from the NID, you could see if there is a problem in the plant (no improvement) or on the premises (better stats). The premises tech should have done that already.

Going back to ADSL depends on whether they will still have a port on the DSLAM, or they decommissioned it. I will be somewhere between difficult and impossible.

If you had the sales droids promises in writing, you would have cause for action; but you likely got verbal promises, which are only as good as the paper they are written on.
sims

sims

do you think switching to the wired 2210 motorola uverse modem would help any? especially since the nvg510 appears to be used or would that cause even more problems?

if i downgrade from 6Mb down to to 3Mb speed like i had before should that fix my problems? or would i be better off switching back to the 3Mb regular dsl?

or do i need to have att look at the line again according to the tech that's sent out every time i call the line runs about 1500 feet past my building around a motel and then another 1500 feet back thus accounting for the extra 3000 feet

ill post the technician readout from the regular dsl 2210 when it was running tomorrow when i have access
sims

sims

modem.txt
10,617 bytes
modem log 2013/01/10
this is the most recent readout i have from the old motorola 2210 dsl modem its from a few months back but it shouldn't be much different than what its been for the past several years

attached as a txt to try and keep the scrolling to a minimum if that's not the preferred way of posting these please let me know

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

This is the most interesting line from your report:
144  Current ATTN DR  3840 928 

This tells me your loop isn't good enough for even 4.0 Mbps! But this contradicts the next two lines:
145  Current SNRM  14.0 19.0 
146  Current LATN  38.0 19.0 

My Siemens SpeedStream 4100 would show 11.0/51.0 for the down numbers of lines 145-146, but 5200 for line 144 (it actually didn't show numbers on that line, but the bit loading graph would show it).

So I still think there is something screwy with the line. If you could plug in at the NID test jack and check your stats, that would clarify if the problem is premises wiring or plant wiring.

Second most interesting:
92  DSL Line Mode  DMT 

This tells me your modem is making an ADSL connection. Other report lines indicate a successful ATM link and PPPoE session? Puzzling because legacy AT&T ADSL is ATM with PPPoE, but IPDSL is ADSL2+/PTM with 802.1x authentication, which your first logfile seems to be reporting.

I am pretty sure there is an IPDSL-specific Motorola 2210, but I'd expect it to connect ADSL2+/PTM with 802.1x; same as the NVG510. I would not expect the ATM 2210 to even work with a PTM circuit; but I am at the limit of my understanding because I don't really know IPDSL. My ADSL2+ is ATM with no authentication; from another provider on their hardware in an AT&T CO.
sims

sims

the log from the 2210 i just posted was on the 3Mb dsl plan from att before i switched to a uverse plan i thought it might be useful for signal comparison i apologize for not being more clear

i would have thought that the uverse type dsl modem should have been able to run at 6Mb if the old regular dsl worked fine at 3Mb but i may be way off in the amount of improvement i should expect changing from one type of dsl to another

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by sims:

i would have thought that the uverse type dsl modem should have been able to run at 6Mb if the old regular dsl worked fine at 3Mb but i may be way off in the amount of improvement i should expect changing from one type of dsl to another

It depends on the level of the SNR; and I still think it is off compared with your attenuation. I think with attenuation at 38.0 dB (which is better than the 51.0 dB on my mother's 9,156 foot loop), your ADSL SNR should be higher than 14.0 dB; with a sync closer to 6016+. At 6.0 dB down, you are barely hanging on at 6012, and any transient noise on the line will knock your speed down.

Again, if you take the snapshot at the test jack in the NID, it can help sort out which side of the demarc has the problem. I have a friend who tried the AT&T 6.0 Mbps ADSL service, and was barely getting 600 kbps with SNR at 6.0 dB. I had her clean up her premises wiring and her SNR went up to 20.0 dB, and her speed to 6016 Mbps.
sims

2 edits

sims

Click for full size
close as i could get
outside1.xps.zip
119,925 bytes
broadband status
outside.txt
8,974 bytes
outside modem log

i connected the modem outside at the grey box on the side of the building the ground wire almost looks burned but i am not sure either way all the insulation is gone off of that part of the wire..
ive attached the full broadband status report and log from while it was connected outside
sims

sims

would switching to a uverse 2210 help?

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA

NormanS

MVM

I don't know. Your NID result of 9.6 dB SN Margin is an improvement from the 6.0 dB on the inner wiring. I would not expect that much difference if the IW was "clean". Do you have a dedicated home run?
sims

sims

no its on a business line shared with an alarm system 2 phones and a fax machine
sims

sims

should i have them come back and run the uverse separate? or what do i need to do my understanding is that 9.6 is not a very good sn either so i don't know if that would be enough to help it or not

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by sims:

should i have them come back and run the uverse separate? or what do i need to do my understanding is that 9.6 is not a very good sn either so i don't know if that would be enough to help it or not

I have no trouble on an ADSL2+ connection with 6.6 dB; but 9.6 dB would be much better. If splitting off the DSL signal in front of the alarm system would improve the noise margin, I would try it. Worst case is no change; but if it helps matters, isn't that the goal?
sims

sims

just a status update att checked out the line again today and decided that the current problems are because of the alarm system so ive got the alarm co coming out to put a dsl filter on it and check for other problems