uniqs
share rss forum feed

jawz
Woohoo For Broadband
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Chicago, IL

[Connectivity] TFTP server down in Chicago

Receiving the infamous tftp timeout message and tier one support is as always useless (power cycle and send refresh). I can provide mac via pm if anyone who can fix reads this.

Apr 08 2013 07:47:22 4-Error E106.0 SW upgrade Failed before download - TFTP Max Retry Exceeded
Apr 08 2013 07:47:22 4-Error E105.0 SW upgrade Failed before download - File not Present
Apr 08 2013 07:47:03 6-Notice E102.0 SW Download INIT - Via Config file inactive-MOTOSB6120

--
DSLR is the place to be; not LA or NYC

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

I can't help with your failed firmware upgrade (other than to suggest that you try posting in the »Comcast Direct forum).

However, I am curious; what is your current firmware version? I got the SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.10-SCM00-NOSH firmware on Mar 12, 2013 and I am just wondering if there is a newer firmware starting to be pushed.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

jawz
Woohoo For Broadband
Premium
Chicago, IL

I have the same version but with a September 2012 build date. Wonder what's up with that. Probably just regional or tier difference.
--

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by jawz:

I have the same version but with a September 2012 build date. Wonder what's up with that. Probably just regional or tier difference.

The Mar 12, 2013 date was the date that Comcast pushed it to my modem, not the build date.

Mar 12 2013 13:08:48 6-Notice E112.0 SW download Successful - Via Config file
Mar 12 2013 13:07:03 6-Notice E102.0 SW Download INIT - Via Config file d11_m_sb6121_bciwidebandstarter_c05.cm

Here is the build information from my SB6121:

Model Name: SB6121
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.10-SCM00-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot(25CLK) 1.0.12.18m3
Hardware Version: 5.0
Serial Number: 359079218823250126456789
Firmware Build Time: Oct 29 2012 18:07:13

But the fact that you do have the same firmware version does seem to answer my question about Comcast attempting to push a newer firmware to your modem.

--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

Jeremy W

join:2010-01-21
reply to jawz

said by jawz:

Apr 08 2013 07:47:03 6-Notice E102.0 SW Download INIT - Via Config file inactive-MOTOSB6120

Seems to me like the config file you're receiving (inactive-MOTOSB6120) is the real culprit here.

jawz
Woohoo For Broadband
Premium
Chicago, IL

Good catch. Wonder what that's about.

jawz
Woohoo For Broadband
Premium
Chicago, IL
reply to jawz

So I posted over on the comcast forums and I got a "not much we can do to help you, call 1-800-COMCAST" as a response. Does anyone know if there's someone I can twitter or PM here or at comcast that can help? I will just call and cancel service and go back to RCN because I can't handle this kind of support and downtime. I'd rather just go back to RCN instead of wait for a tech to come out and walk around my place needlessly and tell me they have to replace my modem.
--

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit

said by jawz:

So I posted over on the comcast forums and I got a "not much we can do to help you, call 1-800-COMCAST" as a response. Does anyone know if there's someone I can twitter or PM here or at comcast that can help? I will just call and cancel service and go back to RCN because I can't handle this kind of support and downtime. I'd rather just go back to RCN instead of wait for a tech to come out and walk around my place needlessly and tell me they have to replace my modem.

You did not previously mention that your Internet connection was down. A failed firmware upgrade does not necessarily mean that your modem is not usable (although perhaps if yours is not functional, you made that assumption).

Has this modem ever worked on your Comcast connection, or are you trying to activate a modem on Comcast that previously worked on RCN?

Have you tried clicking on the [Reset All Defaults] button in your modem's Configuration page (I will assume that you can still access the modem's admin pages based on other information you have posted)? That (along with a power cycle after doing the reset) might force your modem to request a new config file from Comcast and get you (back?) on-line.

--

jawz
Woohoo For Broadband
Premium
Chicago, IL

The modem is connected, just no packets are flowing. It worked on comcast no problem for three months until Sunday morning when this began happening. All signals and connections are up, even the status says operational, just no packet data flows because of the bag config file. I wish there were a way to reprovision.

I have been power cycling, resetting defaults, leaving modem off for four to eight hours at a time, nothing fixes this TFTP config file issue.

--

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9

Try asking a rep to perform a *roll and re-provision / APT push* of the modem.

jawz
Woohoo For Broadband
Premium
Chicago, IL

Thanks EG, will do and report back when I get home. I was thinking re-provision but I hadn't gotten around to that yet, as I haven't been home at a reasonable hour today yet.
--

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9

Specifically mention the "APT push". Some of the reps seem to understand this better.

Good luck with it !

jawz
Woohoo For Broadband
Premium
Chicago, IL

Got a tier one tech named Dave who knew what boot files are and he reprovisioned my modem and then found out there was a major hsd voice and video outage in my area. So i guess i wait til wed night.
--

jawz
Woohoo For Broadband
Premium
Chicago, IL
reply to jawz

Well if anyone's curious the error is still occurring after reprovisioning the modem via removing and readding it to the database. I called comcast and cancelled all service. Rcn will be out tomorrow evening to install. Wish i could've solved this mystery but when you have a choice in cable providers wired to your basement and free install and new subscriber savings, there's no time to troubleshoot the broken network. Close thread.
--

LeftOfSanity
People Suck.

join:2005-11-06
Dover, DE
reply to jawz

said by jawz:

Receiving the infamous tftp timeout message and tier one support is as always useless (power cycle and send refresh). I can provide mac via pm if anyone who can fix reads this.

Apr 08 2013 07:47:22 4-Error E106.0 SW upgrade Failed before download - TFTP Max Retry Exceeded
Apr 08 2013 07:47:22 4-Error E105.0 SW upgrade Failed before download - File not Present

Infamous? First I remember hearing of it.

If the modem is online, no reason it shouldnt be working.

I see you already cancelled, but what was your setup? Were you direct to the modem?

Were you able to ping your default gateway? or beyond?

Just because it failed to update doesnt mean it should stop working, it should use the one you already had.

Did you have a 6120?
--
"I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it" - Mitch Hedberg

jawz
Woohoo For Broadband
Premium
Chicago, IL

I did have a 6120 but it kept downloading a config file that was named inactive and did not exist on the TFTP server thus the retry timeout. Nothing internal was pingable. The modem indicated its status as operational but it was stuck with no ip link and thus acted as the gateway itself.
--

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by jawz:

I did have a 6120 but it kept downloading a config file that was named inactive and did not exist on the TFTP server thus the retry timeout. Nothing internal was pingable. The modem indicated its status as operational but it was stuck with no ip link and thus acted as the gateway itself.

Just out of curiosity, was that same modem previously used on RCN, and are you using it successfully on your RCN connection now that you have switched back to RCN?
--

jawz
Woohoo For Broadband
Premium
Chicago, IL

I have used the modem on rcn for two years and comcast for three months without issue until now. Moto surfboards seem to never die so ill post tonight after rcn is connected. And ill try to copy the working log and see if firmware downgrades on rcn since they were using a 2009 firmware for the longest time.
--

jawz
Woohoo For Broadband
Premium
Chicago, IL
reply to jawz

Click for full size
Take a look at this. Seems TFTP server not down at all, in fact just pushing the wrong config file. My firmware is still at

Model Name: SB6120
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.10-SCM00-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot 1.0.0.4m1
Hardware Version: 3.0
Firmware Build Time: Oct 29 2012 18:07:13

Sucks because I told the good tech that the server was pushing the wrong config file and it continued all the way to the end. Ah well.
--