Luckenbach

1 edit

Tex Longhorn

MVM

HDD Problems

My system
Click for full size
window that opens when clicking dock icon
When I click a link in an email, Safari will open with no problems. I can surf and then quit the application. When I open Safari from the dock, I get the attached blank window and any time I mouse over the window, I get a beach ball.

Force quitting Safari, will kill the app, but the window reamins as does the beach ball( when mousing over).

My computer has been acting up in the last month. Lots of beach balls that causes delays of 15 seconds or more. Last OS update failed to reboot. iPhoto library became unreadable.

I'm hoping that this Safari issue has something to do with it. Most likely it doesn't as Safari is not my usual browser.

The first time the beach ball occurred was when my daughter was using iMovie for a school project. Coincidence?

tango_bob
join:2001-12-16
Evanston, IL

tango_bob

Re: Safari Problems

What does an app like Smart Utility or Smart Reporter say about the drives health?

Tex Longhorn
45-35
MVM
join:2001-01-05
Luckenbach

Tex Longhorn

MVM

Click for full size
Click for full size
My old version of SMARTReporter (2.1.5) says all drives are okay.

However, I just downloaded Smart Utility. See attached.

Not sure what this means. Guessing that disk 'Start up' is a lost cause due to errors. Is there hope for disk 10.6.8?

Disk 'iTunes Music' has same capacity as 'Start up'. Should I clone 'Start Up' and put it on 'iTines Music'?

tango_bob
join:2001-12-16
Evanston, IL

tango_bob to Tex Longhorn

to Tex Longhorn
Since you know the startup drive has issues, a block level clone will bring those same issues over. I would start from scratch on the good drive. If nothing else, install a blank OS and migrate the app's and data over.

Tex Longhorn
45-35
MVM
Luckenbach

Tex Longhorn

MVM

Before the 10.8.3 update, I did a time machine backup. I was experiencing problems at this time. If I restore from the TM backup to a good disk, will the problems exist?
kitsune
join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA

kitsune

Time machine doesn't do block cloning. So you would probably be ok. I would have another plan in place though, in case it doesn't work.

Tex Longhorn
45-35
MVM
Luckenbach

Tex Longhorn

MVM

Re: HDD Problems

Thanks for the help fellas (or femallas).

Restore from TM backup took about eight hours and appears to be working. I'm in the process of comparing folders for changes that occurred in the last three weeks.