All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
bigddybn
join:2000-10-18
Stuart, FL

bigddybn to FifthE1ement

to FifthE1ement

Re: [Rant] Comcast shouldn't be given a pass!

Where exactly do you live that a Dish isn't allowed?
GTFan
join:2004-12-03
Austell, GA

GTFan

Not really seeing the issue here - get a Tivo Premiere 4 and a couple of Minis, problem solved. Or roll your own Win7 HTPC with a couple of Xboxes. Yes, it costs more upfront but that's the price you pay for getting a 4-tuner whole home box that just works. And it will pay for itself in 3 years or less vs. renting a DVR and a couple of STBs.

Everyone knows that Comcast ships the lowest common denominator DVR to its customers (including the old Moto 3400/6400 dogs) because that's the cheap way out to maximize your profit. The answer is to ignore their DVR junk and get your own.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to bigddybn

to bigddybn
some home owners authorities and apartments don't allow dishes or antennas.
Plus maybe his neighbor's trees block his view of the satellite or he lives in a wooded area.
bigddybn
join:2000-10-18
Stuart, FL

bigddybn

said by mikedz4:

Plus maybe his neighbor's trees block his view of the satellite or he lives in a wooded area.

His HOA can pound sand.
»www.fcc.gov/guides/over- ··· ces-rule
gustavenla68
join:2011-02-24
Carlisle, PA

gustavenla68

said by bigddybn:

said by mikedz4:

His HOA can pound sand.

Also the apartment can not block you from installing a temporary dish that is not in common areas.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by gustavenla68:

said by bigddybn:

said by mikedz4:

His HOA can pound sand.

Also the apartment can not block you from installing a temporary dish that is not in common areas.

All true. But you may still not get sat at your apartment if your apartments on wrong side of building and your balcony can't see the satellite.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

4 edits

rody_44

Premium Member

In that case simply move to the other side of the building. Is it really comcasts fault that you moved to the wrong side of a apartment complex. Better yet move in to somewhere where it isnt a issue at all. If the guide and such is that much of a issue would you not check that shit out before signing the lease? Is it really comcasts fault at@t wont offer you service. Really i mean since when is it one companies responsibility to make everyones service available to you.

Is it impossible for a main dish to be installed on your building and running coax thru the building to service every unit. (of course it is after all comcast did it). But again its comcasts fault that dish or at@T or direct wont do it. Comcast did what they had to do to offer you the service. It isnt comcasts fault other companies wont do it. Its especially not comcasts fault that you moved in somewhere where the guide was so important that you didnt even check. Never to late to move tho.

Since your main gripe seems to be at@t guide and directs tuners being so much better why are you not lobbying to have a direct dish installed to service your building instead of griping about comcasts guide. Lots of highrises in philly have dishes installed for that purpose. Any building can get direct tv its just a matter of if direct wants to do the necessary work to make it happen.
yhp
join:2006-12-27
Philadelphia, PA

1 edit

1 recommendation

yhp

I always love this argument:

"Comcast doesn't have a monopoly where you live because you can always change where you live."

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
join:2005-07-01
Palm Springs, CA
Hitron EN2251
Nest H2D

1 edit

1 recommendation

fuziwuzi

Premium Member

said by yhp:

I always love this argument:

"Comcast doesn't have a monopoly where you live because you can always change where you live."

It is always the customer's fault. Always. SMH
Expand your moderator at work

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut
join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 edit

FifthE1ement to rody_44

to rody_44

Re: [Rant] Comcast shouldn't be given a pass!

said by rody_44:

In that case simply move to the other side of the building. Is it really comcasts fault that you moved to the wrong side of a apartment complex. Better yet move in to somewhere where it isnt a issue at all. If the guide and such is that much of a issue would you not check that shit out before signing the lease? Is it really comcasts fault at@t wont offer you service. Really i mean since when is it one companies responsibility to make everyones service available to you.

Is it impossible for a main dish to be installed on your building and running coax thru the building to service every unit. (of course it is after all comcast did it). But again its comcasts fault that dish or at@T or direct wont do it. Comcast did what they had to do to offer you the service. It isnt comcasts fault other companies wont do it. Its especially not comcasts fault that you moved in somewhere where the guide was so important that you didnt even check. Never to late to move tho.

Since your main gripe seems to be at@t guide and directs tuners being so much better why are you not lobbying to have a direct dish installed to service your building instead of griping about comcasts guide. Lots of highrises in philly have dishes installed for that purpose. Any building can get direct tv its just a matter of if direct wants to do the necessary work to make it happen.

rody_44, I moved in to my condo over 12 years ago, the Comcast guide (iGuide) was good when I moved in, in 2001, but I expected after a decade it would have been upgraded?! Anyone else?

Our Condo doesn't allow dishes. Period. My sun room doesn't face the direction necessary to get satellite (I believe the South?). They have no choice to allow it if your screen/sun/porch room faces the correct direction.

I do like the idea of Tivo's but until OnDemand is available over them in my area I'll have to wait it out. The best part is if Comcast released their Samsung TV app I could leave now. Or if they released the Samsung HBO Go app rights, or Max Go. I mean if Comcast wasn't holding everything back they'd be a great company! Right guys!?

5th

PGHammer
join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD

PGHammer to GTFan

to GTFan
While the Premiere 4 (in fact, all TiVos, including the base Premiere, which I have) are great STBs, if you want to use the additional functionality (even the base DVR functionality) you HAVE to both subscribe to the Tivo service (which is $20/month) *and* have either broadband access in the room the Tivo will be in, or purchase (separately) a wireless adapter ($60), as the Tivos require nonstandard USB adapters - despite bog-standard USB interfaces.

As I mentioned, I have a base Tivo Premiere. Unlike a lot of Tivo owners (especially on cable), I use it as a straight HD STB. No Tivo service. No additional services. This was, in fact, planned from the beginning. While it still requires a CableCARD (in fact, an M-card - which I already had from my previous plasma TV, which had a display failure), the pairing was as easy-peasy as it gets. (I wish the pairing with my plasma HDTV - yes, the one that failed - was that easy; in fact, it never paired, and apparently due to TV-related issues, as the SAME CC paired up with the Premiere without a quibble. I did the install myself - no truck-roll needed.) Once the pairing is done (allow an hour), I moved the now-paired Tivo to my router's location (where I set up a staging area, using my PC's display, which also supports HDMI). Connecting the Premiere to the display and router, I then ran the Guided Setup (which includes downloading the channel lineup and the first set of listings for your authorized channels). When everything is completed with Guided Setup, you'll get that rather distinctive Claymation-style video just before you get sent to TiVo Central - this is also referred to in the documentation included with the Premiere itself.

As to using the Premiere (or any TiVo) as a straight HD STB, it most certainly IS usable as a straight STB - HD or SD. I have one of each to compare it to - a Motorola DCT-2224 (SD) and Pace RNG110 (HD). Using it as a straight STB (channel changing, etc.) is no different than using either of the two STBs, except that response is a mite *faster* on the Premiere. The guide itself is not THAT different from the iGuide (X1 is just becoming available in the Beltway Region, however, they have NOT replaced iGuide here) so it may be a case of hardware differences, as opposed to the guides themselves.

So I can safely say that using a Premiere rocks - even sans the TiVo service.
GTFan
join:2004-12-03
Austell, GA

GTFan

said by PGHammer:

While the Premiere 4 (in fact, all TiVos, including the base Premiere, which I have) are great STBs, if you want to use the additional functionality (even the base DVR functionality) you HAVE to both subscribe to the Tivo service (which is $20/month) *and* have either broadband access in the room the Tivo will be in, or purchase (separately) a wireless adapter ($60), as the Tivos require nonstandard USB adapters - despite bog-standard USB interfaces.

No, it's $15/mo. for service but the smart move is to get lifetime instead, it will pay for itself over time and more importantly, in resale value when you want to upgrade to latest Tivo.

You can use a wireless bridge (or setup a cheap router as a wireless client with DD-WRT etc.) instead of the overpriced USB adapters.