Savious
Premium
join:2012-03-05
Belgrade, MT
kudos:4
reply to Dissembled

Re: Meeting Monday: Pay to Win, Pay to Play, Pay to Look Good

said by Dissembled:

Happy to have helped invoke some good spirited conversation today boys.

Its after 5 east coast, huh. Well, Ill just trudge along here with the rest of us B-Listers...
--
"This thread has more subs than the actual game." Phantasee, in reference to SWTOR

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
reply to Savious
said by Savious:

At least my wife doesnt make a sailor blush!

I like where this is going....
--
When on dangerous ground maneuver, when on deadly ground fight.

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT
My wife banned me from being in Skype with her from, she said those are words I don't need to hear.
--
"This thread has more subs than the actual game." Phantasee, in reference to SWTOR

TigerLord
UEE Citizen
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
reply to Krisnatharok
I prefer not to say how much I spent on SC until it is released. If it's a huge flop the real number can never be known.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
Should've stayed in med school......
I kid, I kid.

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Savious
said by Savious:

Perhaps I should have worded that differently. He buys multiple of them at a time. PC gaming is a cheap hobby compared to that.

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT
reply to TigerLord
said by TigerLord:

I prefer not to say how much I spent on SC until it is released. If it's a huge flop the real number can never be known.

SC?
--

TigerLord
UEE Citizen
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
Star Citizen

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to Archivis
said by Archivis:

said by Krisnatharok:

Growing up, I never would have considered where I am now to be wealthy. I still have school debt, we don't own a house, have one car, etc.--there are always things in the back of my mind that I would feel better about if I was able to take care of them instantly.

4Bedroom home, one vehicle payment, no other debt, no student loans. I make more than anyone else my age but I don't feel wealthy either.

Just not broke anymore.

Lies!

Your wife gets all the cash. You get a $20 a week stipend.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to Savious
said by Savious:

Back on topic, let me pose this question to you guys.

Since the majority of people in this forum are established in their personal lives, how much would you be willing to pay for an amazing game.

Better than WoW, LoL, MWO, Diablo 2 etc...

Im talking about the "ultimate gaming experience".

10/10 Graphics
10/10 Gameplay
10/10 Server up time
10/10 Whatever else.

In theory, this game is going to be very popular and have constant content patches, expansions, etc.. for the next 5 years. You only have to buy in for a one time price, whats your maximum?

$50?
$100?
$500?
$1000?

I look at it in terms of time investment. I have invested hundreds of hours playing Battlefield 3 so for the $80 I spent on that game plus the premium pack, its well worth it.

Then I have Dead Space 3 which I finished in about 12 hours in single player at $60. I am replaying it again on the hardest difficulty.

Far Cry 3 I have sunk 23 hours into so far and I bought it for $35 on sale on Steam over Christmas. Then i have Skyrim with over 100 hours so far and I have had that for over a year and a half.

I typically value my time at about $2 an hour. So if I can get a game and really enjoy it for about 20-30 hours I am happy. Heck, if I go out to eat with friends, it costs me $30-$40 and I am only there for 2-4 hours.

So the answer to your question would depend on the time investment. If its something that is like Skyrim, except better, then I would probably pay $80-$100 for it as a one time fee.
--

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC
kudos:2
$2/hr? Sheeesh....I've got some work around the house you can do for me....I'll even give you a raise.

$2.50/hr.

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:3
reply to Savious
Most profitable: Pay to win.
I prefer to play games that pay for cosmetic effects only or just buy the same and play.
And no, I don't think it's dishonest at all. It's a free game. If I despise the system, I'll just play one with a system I prefer.

...and if it's a pay-to-win game that I have to pay for the client, then, no, no, no, HELL NO.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to Koil
said by Koil:

$2/hr? Sheeesh....I've got some work around the house you can do for me....I'll even give you a raise.

$2.50/hr.

I was talking about my entertainment factor. I wouldn't do work for that amount. For you, my going rate is about $100 an hour.
--

saillaw
Premium
join:2007-05-08
Dismay
reply to Savious
said by Savious:

Back on topic, let me pose this question to you guys.

Since the majority of people in this forum are established in their personal lives, how much would you be willing to pay for an amazing game.

Better than WoW, LoL, MWO, Diablo 2 etc...

Im talking about the "ultimate gaming experience".

10/10 Graphics
10/10 Gameplay
10/10 Server up time
10/10 Whatever else.

In theory, this game is going to be very popular and have constant content patches, expansions, etc.. for the next 5 years. You only have to buy in for a one time price, whats your maximum?

$50?
$100?
$500?
$1000?

The game I have spent the most money and time on by far, is WoW. I've been playing since November 2004. Much of that time I had two accounts.

Lets look what I approximately have spent on that for just one account.

Purchased collector's editions:
Vanilla 100
BC 100
Wrath 100
Cata 100
Panda 100

So ~$500 for the game

Monthly fees: 101 months x $15 = 1515

So total = $2015 or $19.95/month

That does not include race changes, server transfers, in game pet and mount purchases, upgraded hardware, my second and third accounts, guild website contributions, etc.

So if your game could really deliver for 5 years, it should be worth at least $20/mo x 60 = 1200. So I guess I would have to say I'd pay $1000 in your scenario.
--
/)_/)
( . . )
C(")(")

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
That's some pretty brutal honesty right there.

saillaw
Premium
join:2007-05-08
Dismay
I'm raw like that

I know others who have spent a lot more than that, particularly guys who buy gold and accounts or do serious multi-boxing.

In truth, I probably should have quit wow about half way through wraith. I haven't loved it in a long time. I need to get off my ass and cancel that recurring subscription for this game I'm not playing!
--
/)_/)
( . . )
C(")(")

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
My regret doesn't go as far. The faction/server changes to Mal'Ganis were worth twice what I paid in terms of enjoyment, but I should have cancelled in Cataclysm. LFR made raiding more accessible but cheapened the whole experience. I don't think I've enjoyed raiding since ICC. Non-LFR Deathwing was fun, but that's about the only high-point since LK. My annual pass is up at the end of the month, and I'm paid through the end of May, so I will be cancelling then. As it is I haven't even logged on since the patch.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
join:2002-10-11
Tyrinaria
reply to Savious

--
Play DSLr Mafia: »Pub Games

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC
reply to Savious
said by Savious:

My wife banned me from being in Skype with her from, she said those are words I don't need to hear.

Soooo...your wife kicked you out of the room so she can cyb0rsex0r ppl on Skype? Damn, son.

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT
reply to Savious
Yes, WoW, $ for $ has been one of the best investments as far as time is concerned for me, right behind Diablo 2.

I honestly wouldn't have any issues paying $1000 for a game that I would play heavily over the course of 5 years, if I could do an installment payment of $200 a year or something.

Will Titan fill that void?
--

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT
reply to Koil
said by Koil:

said by Savious:

Soooo...your wife kicked you out of the room so she can cyb0rsex0r ppl on Skype? Damn, son.

No! Im not allowed to go into Aftershock Conf anymore because Antonica swears more than my First Sergeant in Iraq.
--

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
Antonica swears? Never noticed it.

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC
said by ekster:

Antonica swears? Never noticed it.

No shit? Me fuckin either.

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT
Theres a big difference between swearing and making the devil cringe.

Blockfire
Sarcasm is my native tongue

join:2010-02-11
Wichita, KS
kudos:1
how can your wife hear Antonica?? are you one of those people who use their speakers?

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT
said by Blockfire:

how can your wife hear Antonica?? are you one of those people who use their speakers?

Whoa whoa whoa. What do you mean by "those people"?
--

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
Those people that no one likes and who annoy everyone due to feedback.

Blockfire
Sarcasm is my native tongue

join:2010-02-11
Wichita, KS
kudos:1
said by ekster:

exactly

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
join:2002-10-11
Tyrinaria
said by Blockfire:

said by ekster:

exactly

HEY!
--
Play DSLr Mafia: »Pub Games

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT
reply to ekster
said by ekster:

Everyone loves listening to my dubstep while I talk.
--