join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

1 recommendation

SpHeRe31459 to FifthE1ement

Premium Member

to FifthE1ement

Re: [TiVo] TiVo access to XFINITY On Demand

said by FifthE1ement:

I agree 100% but I'm sure the newer Comcast boxes, probably the DCH or above (maybe DCX and above), should have no issues running the Tivo software.

The XG1 from Pace (what Comcast just calls the "X1 DVR") is certified to run TiVo's software.

»www.engadget.com/2012/05 ··· lans-to/

It's available to MSOs that want to run TiVo on "home gateway" sort of box. All 6-tuners are available when using the TiVo software (unlike the X1 guide). Since it is a much newer faster box, I bet it runs the cumbersome Flash based TiVo HD UI decently. I don't know if any MSOs have actually adopted it, but it's out there.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

said by SpHeRe31459:

The XG1 from Pace (what Comcast just calls the "X1 DVR") is certified to run TiVo's software.

Yes, there was also this article about that on the FierceCable site:

Rogers: TiVo-Pace integration will be completed in 2013
Solution will be more cost effective than Premiere, says CEO

By Steve Donohue, FierceCable - November 29, 2012
»www.fiercecable.com/stor ··· 12-11-29

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to SpHeRe31459

to SpHeRe31459
This is really really exciting news, however I'm unsure if there is a fee for use of the TiVo service like the retail boxes have.

I didn't know that the TiVo software supports 6 tuners, good to know going forward.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

1 recommendation

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

I didn't know that the TiVo software supports 6 tuners, good to know going forward.

Yep there are some strong rumors that TiVo's own next generation hardware (coming later this year) will offer a 6-tuner model.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut
join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 recommendation

FifthE1ement to telcodad

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

said by SpHeRe31459:

Yes, there was also this article about that on the FierceCable site:

Rogers: TiVo-Pace integration will be completed in 2013
Solution will be more cost effective than Premiere, says CEO

By Steve Donohue, FierceCable - November 29, 2012
»www.fiercecable.com/stor ··· 12-11-29

Anyone else love telcodad? He's a trip! He never actually gives his opinion, lol. He comes in and posts facts and then disappears until a chance to present more facts appears. I wish I had that much self control. I would probably be allowed on more forums if I did. Thanks for keeping us informed telcodad and keep up the good work!

Back on topic: Comcast has put too much time and money into the X1 for them to back out now and use the Tivo software. I really wish they would swallow their pride and do it but they are a stubborn company. They'll ride the X1 until it crashes and burns, which it will unless they develop it for another 5 years on top of the almost 5 they probably already have in. It's really sad to see that after half a decade the X1 is the best they have? But I think I read on FierceCable, or another site that Tivo was looking to exit the hardware business and simply sell the software, which it looks like they are with the Pace box. Imagine Comcast could simply stop work on the X1 and put the Tivo software, which probably runs a million times better than Comcast's software, on all the Pace X1 boxes tomorrow. But it WILL NEVER happen sadly!

5th
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

1 recommendation

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

Oh yeah Comcast would never play licensing fees to something it doesn't already own/invest in. All current guide software Comcast either developed internally (X1) or now owns outright (i-Guide).

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to FifthE1ement

MVM

to FifthE1ement
said by FifthE1ement:

Anyone else love telcodad? He's a trip! He never actually gives his opinion, lol. He comes in and posts facts and then disappears until a chance to present more facts appears. I wish I had that much self control. I would probably be allowed on more forums if I did. Thanks for keeping us informed telcodad and keep up the good work!

Well, thanks FifthE1ement See Profile, I think you're a trip too! Comcast deserves all the criticism they get.

While not nearly as often as others here, I do provide my own opinions and participate in discussions occasionally, but I'll try to make it a point to do that more often.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to SpHeRe31459

to SpHeRe31459
said by SpHeRe31459:

said by Mike Wolf:

Yep there are some strong rumors that TiVo's own next generation hardware (coming later this year) will offer a 6-tuner model.

As I've said before, this is going to primarily depend on if the cable provider has setup their equipment to allow the cablecard to stream to all six tuners.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

said by SpHeRe31459:

said by Mike Wolf:

As I've said before, this is going to primarily depend on if the cable provider has setup their equipment to allow the cablecard to stream to all six tuners.

The M-Card standard requires that a CableCARD support decoding 6-streams.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf

No, Cisco PKM 800, 801, 802, and 803 cablecards support 6 streams as well, but there is a new model the PKM908 that supports 8 streams. It wasn't a question of if the cablecards can support the 6 or 8 streams, but if the cable company's bandwidth and controlling equipment is configured to allow it.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

Pretty sure they'd have to, it's part of the Cable Labs standards. Does the headend even know about the number of streams? For example TiVO Premiere owners get 4 streams right now without any special issues. Yet, Comcast's own equipment only 2 (or 3 now with X1) tuning. Eventually they'll have to support it since the X1 class of hardware supports 6-tuners.

The CableCARD is just for authentication, I rather doubt the headend cares what happens once it is properly authenticated.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut
join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 recommendation

FifthE1ement

said by SpHeRe31459:

Pretty sure they'd have to, it's part of the Cable Labs standards. Does the headend even know about the number of streams? For example TiVO Premiere owners get 4 streams right now without any special issues. Yet, Comcast's own equipment only 2 (or 3 now with X1) tuning. Eventually they'll have to support it since the X1 class of hardware supports 6-tuners.

The CableCARD is just for authentication, I rather doubt the headend cares what happens once it is properly authenticated.

It has nothing to do with the headend. The devices simply have quad tuners. The only time this could become an issue is if a person has too much signal loss. The more tuners the more issues that happen with the signal. So to push 8 tuners you would have to have an uber signal with no loss. Even now for some Comcast customers with dual tuner DVR's I've seen one tuner work great and the 2nd have drops in sound and picture. Once a line was changed or splitter removed the issue was corrected.

5th
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

said by FifthE1ement:

said by SpHeRe31459:

It has nothing to do with the headend. The devices simply have quad tuners. The only time this could become an issue is if a person has too much signal loss. The more tuners the more issues that happen with the signal. So to push 8 tuners you would have to have an uber signal with no loss. Even now for some Comcast customers with dual tuner DVR's I've seen one tuner work great and the 2nd have drops in sound and picture. Once a line was changed or splitter removed the issue was corrected.

5th

Right that was exactly my point. It has nothing to do with the headend. The only issues would be at the premises if the customer's cabling is having issues pushing that much bandwidth through simultaneously to feed all the tuners. Let's face it 6+ channels at once is a lot of bandwidth, not too dissimilar to a really high-speed bonded DOCSIS 3.0 connection.