zippoboy7
join:2006-06-18
USA

1 recommendation

zippoboy7 to batsona

to batsona

Re: Horrible youtube speeds

said by batsona:

It would seem that the best way to fix this, if you had two connections at your house, is to buy a firewall that had at least 2 external connections on it, and connect FiOS, and [let's say], a tier-2 cable modem provider for another carrier. Then put static routing statements in your firewall so that all YouTube traffic goes to the tier-2 provider, and everything else goes to FiOS. --assuming that the tier-2 provider has adequate bandwidth to Google's network [unlike UUNET]?

I solved the issue without having to pay for another provider, I just added a IPv6 tunnel using Tunnelbroker to my firewall and all youtube content now flows over that, I no longer have any buffering and other then the occasional error about DRM saying I do not live in the US (Using a Virgina tunnel... Google needs to fix there geo-location crap) it works great.

wampdog29
@verizon.net

wampdog29

Anon

I am also noticing this speed issue with Verizon FiOS and Youtube. However, I just wanted to throw in my two cents and correct something a few people are saying. Is Youtube free to use? Sure, but, Google Play Movies & TV is a service that is ran from within Youtube as well, and these movies I DO pay for yet they are rarely playable. I get better playback/streaming with 3G compared to my 50/35 FiOS!!!
batsona
Maryland
join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD

batsona to zippoboy7

to zippoboy7
Since it looks like there's little valid resolution here, zippoboy7 might want to post a step by step procedure on how to do the tunneling he did. It looks like the only resolution at this point (tunneling into another carrier)
zippoboy7
join:2006-06-18
USA

zippoboy7

Sadly my instructions would be worthless to 99% of the people here. I do not use the router provided by Verizon, I am using pfsence as my router which allows me to do a lot more advanced configurations. For anyone who is using pfsence and wants to do it they can follow these instructions and get there »doc.pfsense.org/index.ph ··· l_Broker

That being said there are ways to use www.tunnelbroker.net with a single PC, they have some fairly simple instructions for that on the website when you register and create a tunnel. The only downside to this is you are stuck with only one system that can use youtube.

bigbeard
@verizon.net

bigbeard

Anon

since switching youtube access to html5, i never had anymore issues, wether it be on wired desktop, wireless laptop or ipad. 720 and 1080p plays perfectly fine. someone in this thread gave out the advice, forgot who it was.