how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dairyfarmer1

join:2013-04-08

1 edit

[Signals] Help with basement setup

I've read through all the FAQ and can't seem to find the extra help this question needs. I have the input line coming into my unfinished basement. I have it going into a 3 way splitter, with the modem hooked up to the -3.5 and, and two cables running to the upper levels of my home hooked up to the -7's. The internet connection will stay stable for a period of time, but then eventually it dies out. I reset it last night, and could hardly get it to connect at all (about .03 Mbps DL). Do you know if I'm possible doing something wrong? Sorry if this post is an inconvenience.

Edit: I imagine this could be irrelevant, but I have a Motorola SB6121 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
What do the modem's signal stats look like ? Get them here; »192.168.100.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

dairyfarmer1

Thanks for your reply! I am currently at work, but I will post those numbers for you this evening when I get home.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
reply to dairyfarmer1
O/k please do and someone will advise you.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
reply to dairyfarmer1
You have it the way most people suggest. But that doesnt mean you dont have a bad fitting, splitter, or line somewhere.

dairyfarmer1

reply to EG
Here are the levels you requested:

Signal to Noise Ratio 32 dB 32 dB 27 dB
Down Power Level -12 dBmV -12 dBmV -22 dBmV
Up Power Level 54 dBmV 55 dBmV

dairyfarmer1

reply to dairyfarmer1
I should also mention that my upload speeds look great right now, right around 10-11 Mbps, but my download is sitting at a 3.5. This is wired into my brand new gaming desktop.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
kudos:2
reply to dairyfarmer1
Your signal levels both up and down are terrible. I would recommend calling Comcast for a tech visit.

dairyfarmer1

SNR: 36 dB 34 dB 36 dB 34 dB
Down:8 dBmV -11 dBmV -8 dBmV -11 dBmV
Up: 54 dBmV 55 dBmV

I changed coax cables, and these are the results. Any more input? I also just ran a speedtest. I'm getting ~55 Mbps down and 11 up.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Downstream rather marginal but not horrible but your upstream is still too high. Best to have it below 50 to allow for summer heat increases. Call for a service tech.

GusHerb94

join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
reply to dairyfarmer1
Have you tried removing the incoming run to the splitter and hooking it to the back of the modem to rule out any inside wiring as the issue?

dairyfarmer1

I have not. I will do that next. Thanks!

jwhite4

join:2002-03-21
Philadelphia, PA
reply to dairyfarmer1
Obviously you could take the splitter out, skipping that 3 1/2db loss, and see if that helps.

dairyfarmer1

reply to dairyfarmer1
I still haven't had the connection go down. It's been on for over 16 hours now, and hasn't failed yet. I realize the upstream power is still too high. However, if I'm not losing the connection, is there still good reason to have a technician come out?

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by dairyfarmer1:

I still haven't had the connection go down. It's been on for over 16 hours now, and hasn't failed yet. I realize the upstream power is still too high. However, if I'm not losing the connection, is there still good reason to have a technician come out?

Get a tech out, your signals have no wiggle room for temp changes. Your upstream is too high. You are just lucky so far.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3
reply to dairyfarmer1
said by dairyfarmer1:

SNR: 36 dB 34 dB 36 dB 34 dB
Down:8 dBmV -11 dBmV -8 dBmV -11 dBmV
Up: 54 dBmV 55 dBmV

I changed coax cables, and these are the results. Any more input? I also just ran a speedtest. I'm getting ~55 Mbps down and 11 up.

Is that first 8 dBmv a typo? If your have one channel sitting at +8 dBmV and 36 dB and the others at -8 to -11 something is definitely screwed up.

But as jaynick See Profile said, your upstream is too high and you should get a tech out. Is the cable modem behind 1 or more splitters? If so, what leg(s) is it on? You may be able to adjust your splitting to reduce the upstream power (and increase the downstream power).
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates

dairyfarmer1

I see the cable coming in from outside, and it goes directly into a 3 way splitter. I have the modem on the -3.5 leg, with the two other cables on the -7. So, this is the only splitter before the modem. I have a tech coming out tomorrow. My speeds are sitting really high right now, so I'm happy, but from what you guys all tell me this won't last. My speeds won't change by any adjustment the technician makes to the upstream power, correct?