All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Burbsguy
@comcast.net

Burbsguy

Anon

New service, recieved an EMTA but no battery.

Hi guys,

Just had triple play installed, got an Arris 822G EMTA but noticed the battery light is off and the unit is so light there can't be a battery inside. Am I supposed to get one with the install?

Thanks,
Rt

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Wow I heard they wouldn't be replacing them for free, but not to give you one at all? Strange. I'd call them and have them come out with a battery or replacement device.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to Burbsguy

Premium Member

to Burbsguy
The tech probably just forgot.
gr82cu
join:2013-04-08
Dickson, TN

gr82cu

I just got a new one via UPS and ....... NO BATTERY! I called CS and they told me that they are no longer providing batteries. Isn't that special?

EB

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by gr82cu:

I just got a new one via UPS and ....... NO BATTERY! I called CS and they told me that they are no longer providing batteries. Isn't that special?

EB

Not even an initial one? That's absurd.

Gordo74
Premium Member
join:2003-10-28
Pittsburgh, PA

Gordo74 to Burbsguy

Premium Member

to Burbsguy
So they aren't providing a way to make emergency phone calls during a power outage? Isn't there some law against that?

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by Gordo74:

So they aren't providing a way to make emergency phone calls during a power outage? Isn't there some law against that?

I would think so. Unless they've changed the wording in such a way that it's no longer providing 911?
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

neufuse to Burbsguy

to Burbsguy
no, they are REQUIRED to give you a battery as part of their requirement to keep the phone network operating as long as possible in an emergency...

all SIK's should have a battery with them, if a tech installed it they are suppose to give you one

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17

Darknessfall

Premium Member

A family member who got triple play a couple months ago didn't get a battery with their TG862 during a tech install.
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

neufuse to Burbsguy

to Burbsguy
I just called CS out of curiosity and asked about eMTA batteries..... "New customers are responsible for purchasing battery backup batteries"... ugh... ok lets just ignore telecom rules now
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

1 recommendation

rody_44

Premium Member

Where is that rule? They have battery backup at the street. Some cable companies never supplied them.
Stu Pidaso
join:2006-10-12
Greenwood, IN

Stu Pidaso to Burbsguy

to Burbsguy
No new batteries...

»[CDV] No More Free Batteries

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to neufuse

MVM

to neufuse
said by neufuse:

... ok lets just ignore telecom rules now

I thought those rules only applied to PUC regulated utilities. Ah, some interesting information from the FCC:

»www.fcc.gov/guides/voip- ··· -service

Sounds like a copper loop is still better for E911.
TheBigCheese
join:2002-08-05
Philadelphia, PA

TheBigCheese to Burbsguy

to Burbsguy
So you pay more than for POTS for a service that will be down every time the power goes out!

COMCAST talks out of both sides of their mouth. When it is to their advantage, they say it's not a phone communication utility so is not regulated but when it comes to their providing priority to their own IP traffic, they claim it's a phone utility and not Internet.
timtom83
join:2012-11-15

timtom83 to neufuse

to neufuse
said by neufuse:

no, they are REQUIRED to give you a battery as part of their requirement to keep the phone network operating as long as possible in an emergency...

all SIK's should have a battery with them, if a tech installed it they are suppose to give you one

Not anymore.Comcast does not provide battery any more.
You can get one online

ClockerXP
join:2001-05-24
Sterling Heights, MI
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear CM500V
Netgear C7100V

ClockerXP

I upgraded my EMTA to a new D3 one. Self install kit sent to me by Comcast. No battery was included. I just kept the battery from the old Arris that the new Arris was replacing. Fit perfectly. When I sent the old modem back it went just the way the new one came...w/o a battery.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by ClockerXP:

I upgraded my EMTA to a new D3 one. Self install kit sent to me by Comcast. No battery was included. I just kept the battery from the old Arris that the new Arris was replacing. Fit perfectly. When I sent the old modem back it went just the way the new one came...w/o a battery.

Did the one you sent back originally come from Comcast with the battery? If so, I would give them back the battery and buy a new one. Rest assured they will charge you a hell of a lot more than the $30 to buy a new one from amazon.

Orlando57
@comcast.net

Orlando57 to TheBigCheese

Anon

to TheBigCheese
Ok lets talk about this rationally.

1. 99% of people have a cell phone so if the power goes out they can use that. And please ask yourself before replying, how many people do you really know that don't have a cell phone?

2. Do you want Comcast to add lets say $50.00 to your bill so when power goes out you can use your phone?

3. What type of phone do you have at home? Most all phones I see sold today have a base unit that needs electricity to operate.

4. Why is when there is a power outage everyone thinks everybody is going to have a heart attack or a sink hole is going to open up and swallow my first born?

5. When was the last time you had to call 911? Now take that time and ask yourself when was the power off and I needed to call 911 and I didn't have a cell phone, or when did you live 20 miles from anyone so I couldn't go next door and ask my neighbor to use thier cell phone.

6. Vonage has millions of customers and they don't have battery backup?

I just don't see the big deal.

ClockerXP
join:2001-05-24
Sterling Heights, MI
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear CM500V
Netgear C7100V

ClockerXP to pflog

to pflog
The original battery came with the old Arris. It's been a while since I sent it back without the battery and no charge. So I think Comcast doesn't care one way or the other. It's not like they're on the hook to give anyone any batteries now anyway.

I will probably buy a new one anyway but I also keep my modem connected to a UPS so not that big of a deal to me.
jwhite4
join:2002-03-21
Philadelphia, PA

jwhite4 to Burbsguy

to Burbsguy
I had a previous post. Got new T/P server 2/20, saw that the change when into effect 2/26. Didn't even think to look at install time, just assumed they had to give you a battery. Took a LOT of pleading, but I finally had a sympathetic agent who agreed to send me one out no charge.

Comcast charges $42, and it's only the small-size battery. I'm guessing you could probably find the larger one for less money on ebay.
gr82cu
join:2013-04-08
Dickson, TN

1 recommendation

gr82cu to Orlando57

to Orlando57
1) Actually I know several people that do not have cell phones, myself included.

2) Why the arbitrary $50? How about they give us something for the numerous times we pay for their modems in the first place?

3) I have both wireless and corded phones for that very reason

4) I don't think anybody actually said that. Maybe that is just something you think about. If however something did happen during a power outage it would be nice to have the option to contact somebody.

5) I actually called 911 a little over two weeks ago and you don't have to live 20 miles from anybody to not be able to get to them. I am disabled and can't walk to getting next door would be pretty much the same situation.

6) Vonage does not install lines for phones but merely an alternate option. CC claims they can replace your existing phone with even more options. That is unless you have an emergency while your power is out!

To be completely honest I really don't give a hoot about any of this. I just thought if you wanted to get into listing things I would put my list against yours.

EB

Orlando57
@comcast.net

Orlando57

Anon

Well you got me. There are people without cell phones, We don't mind paying extra for a battery we will never use. There are people that have a 1970's plug in phone. Somebody had to call 911 two weeks ago because they are disabled, thank god the power wasn't off. Comcast does claim to replace your old phone line with more options, but I don't think they make any claim about not giving the customer the option to purchase a battery on their own if they want the added back up. Remember they don't offer customers a UPS so I don't understand the battery part.

Again I don't give a hoot about any of this. I just want people to know that extras cost money and Comcast isn't going to cover those costs. They will pass them along to the customer.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by Orlando57 :

Again I don't give a hoot about any of this. I just want people to know that extras cost money and Comcast isn't going to cover those costs. They will pass them along to the customer.

Should Caller ID, Call Waiting, Call Forwarding, Voice Mail, and the like be additional charge items? AT&T will nick you $7 a month for each, if you want them ...

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to Burbsguy

MVM

to Burbsguy
For people who have critical need for maximum (there is no 100%, I've had my old POTS line go down more than once) capability of unbroken communications, obviously a standard, plug in phone on a POTS line is the best choice, however, that Comcast no longer views battery backup as crucial, is hardly earth-shattering given the other choices. If one is deeply concerned about this, purchasing an eMTA back up battery is hardly a massive investment.

I do have a back up battery for my eMTA, however, I am leaning towards going to a different VOIP solution that has no such option due to lower monthly cost.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to Burbsguy

Premium Member

to Burbsguy
The question that I have has to do with the actual purchase of an eMTA modem. I know there are some places (Best Buy comes to mind) where you can go and buy the device directly.

When you do, it comes with certain items. A power cord comes to mind, and it may come with a short length of Coax, Phone Line, or Lan (CATV) cable. You probably get some kind of users manual (either hard copy or on DVD) as well as a setup guide.

The question is, when you do this, do you get the backup battery, or do you have to purchase one yourself?

If one comes with, then those that purchase the modem outright are getting something that Comcast is taking out of the manufactures packaging, and to me, that is wrong. It would be like Comcast taking the AC Power Plug out, and telling you that you had to pay extra for that, even though one is shipped standard with every modem.

However, if in my example if someone does go to Best Buy, and purchases a new eMTA modem, and it does not come with a battery, then I am fine with Comcast charging extra. Just like the person who went to Best Buy and has to buy their own battery, Comcast then would have to do the same. Yes, they buy in bulk, and probably gets some kind of discount, but they would still have to buy the batteries to put into all the modems.

But, I don't know what is in the box when you go to the store as I have never bought one. So, once I know that, then I can come to a more valid conclusion.

--Brian
GusHerb
join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL

GusHerb to NormanS

to NormanS
said by NormanS:

said by Orlando57 :

Should Caller ID, Call Waiting, Call Forwarding, Voice Mail, and the like be additional charge items? AT&T will nick you $7 a month for each, if you want them ...

Those items haven't been charged ala carte to us in years! AT&T has offered calling packages with all the calling features bundled for some time. Were on a 1 year promo at 31 dollars a month for unlimited local and LD and every calling feature they offer.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by GusHerb:

Those items haven't been charged ala carte to us in years! AT&T has offered calling packages with all the calling features bundled for some time. Were on a 1 year promo at 31 dollars a month for unlimited local and LD and every calling feature they offer.

They were still billed extra when I compared AT&T West (old Pacific Bell territory) prices with Sonic.net "Fusion" in April, 2011. Since I fired AT&T then, I have not checked back. Barely two years ago isn't "years"; I signed up for Pacific Bell DSL Service "years ago" (February 18, 2001, to be precise).

P.S. And my POTS service package is only listed as $19.97 per month. Assuming your $31 calling package is before taxes. Our last AT&T bill had the bare bones price, before taxes, at that $31 level, as I recall. No promo; that POTS account had been continuously active for 46 years by then.

goofy01
join:2004-02-05
Hammond, IN

goofy01

Don't forget the hugh jump in the bill once you add voicemail. There was like three different charges just for the voicemail when I had AT&T pots a few years ago.
FirebirdTN
join:2012-12-13
Brighton, TN

FirebirdTN to plencnerb

to plencnerb
said by plencnerb:

The question that I have has to do with the actual purchase of an eMTA modem. I know there are some places (Best Buy comes to mind) where you can go and buy the device directly.

When you do, it comes with certain items. A power cord comes to mind, and it may come with a short length of Coax, Phone Line, or Lan (CATV) cable. You probably get some kind of users manual (either hard copy or on DVD) as well as a setup guide.

The question is, when you do this, do you get the backup battery, or do you have to purchase one yourself?

--Brian

The emtas sold at Best Buy come with a backup battery. I bought two emta at 8 month intervals (returned the first), and both came with the battery.

I also bought an Arris TM822 on Amazon [long story], and it came with a battery as well.

-Alan

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

said by FirebirdTN:

said by plencnerb:

--Brian

The emtas sold at Best Buy come with a backup battery. I bought two emta at 8 month intervals (returned the first), and both came with the battery.

I also bought an Arris TM822 on Amazon [long story], and it came with a battery as well.

-Alan

Thanks for the information. Knowing this, one would assume that the manufacturers of the modems add the backup battery to every box, just like they do the AC Power Cord, User Manual, etc regardless of who the buyer actually is (Best Buy, Comcast, Time Warner, etc).

With that being said, then I would also assume when Comcast buys the modems in bulk (either directly from said manufacturer, or 3rd party re-seller), they would come with the battery. Comcast would then have to open each box, remove the battery, re-seal the box, and then pass it on to its customers. They then keep all the batteries to "re-sell" to their customers.

If that is the case, isn't there some way that legal action can be done against Comcast for that action? Not sure what it would be called, but something along the lines of not giving the customer the full product?

Regardless, I don't agree with the practice. If I can go to the store and buy the exact same item, and it comes with a battery, then Comcast should be forced to provide the same item to its customers in the same manner.

It would be a whole different story if Comcast was "being nice" and throwing in the battery if one did not come in the actual package from the manufacture. Then, do to costs, Comcast stopped doing that. However, that appears to not be the case.

--Brian