jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online

iCloud - where are files stored/cached?

Friend deleted a file in his iCloud Notes folder, and wants to get it back. He has backups of his PC.

Where would the file from the Notes folder be stored on his PC?
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
kudos:1
Not sure about the PC, but if he uses iOS, he can restore the iDevice to any of the most recent five iCloud backups. Of course, any changes made after the backup selected will be lost.
Research before proceeding...caveat emptor.

jaa
Premium
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
So if he restored his iPhone to an iCloud backup of that device prior to the file deletion, the iCloud notes file would be there?

And the restore of his iPhone would not affect his iPad which would have the current iCloud notes without the deleted file?

Would iCloud ever resynchronize the Cloud, iPad, and iPhone?

Sorry about all the questions...just trying to figure out how to get the file.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
said by jaa:

So if he restored his iPhone to an iCloud backup of that device prior to the file deletion, the iCloud notes file would be there?...

I believe so

said by jaa:

...And the restore of his iPhone would not affect his iPad which would have the current iCloud notes without the deleted file?...

I believe so, but to be safe, I'd turn off iCloud syncing of Notes while you attempt to do this

said by jaa:

...Would iCloud ever resynchronize the Cloud, iPad, and iPhone?...

Presumably, after the user changes something, iCloud does its thing and syncs...so, I'd turn it off, temporarily. Retrieve the lost note, copy it to an email and send it to yourself.
Not sure about other changes, so if iPhone was restored to yesterday and iPad has an item changed a few hours ago, I'm not sure which will be deemed the most recent.
I really don't know...

said by jaa:

...Sorry about all the questions...just trying to figure out how to get the file.

No problem...sorry in advance if I gave bad advice and both devices simultaneously exploded....j/k

jaa
Premium
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
Thanks - it seems notes are stored in Outlook "notes" on the PC, so first we are going to try to restore a previous version of the Outlook file to a temporary location, and see if that has the "note" we are looking for.

If that fails, we will give the full iOS restore "nuclear option" a shot. Don't suppose there is a way to "browse" the iOS backup to restore one little old file...
--

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX
said by jaa:

If that fails, we will give the full iOS restore "nuclear option" a shot. Don't suppose there is a way to "browse" the iOS backup to restore one little old file...

I know in the past there were utilities you could find on the Web that would let you do this. Not sure if the file format has changed over the years and if those utilities have kept up or not. I did it once to recover some old photos from a back-up I could no longer restore from for some reason. It was ugly but it worked.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo