how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Turbotim1

@btcentralplus.com

CISCO Catalyst 2948G-L3 no keystrokes in console

Hi There,
I have an old Catalyst 2948G-L3 that I have been messing around with for a while and could connect via the console or aux port for configuration, recently I ran a couple of commands (can't exactly remember which) but I neglected to "copy run start" before powering down. Now when I boot up it goes through the post and comes to a point where it displays"Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]:".

At this point it will not accept any keyboard commands at all. I have tried the Break- sequence prior to all the post messages but that does not work either (although I must admit that part has never worked).
None of the ethernet ports are up.

I am comnnected via the console port (9600, 8 none, 1, none) as the aux port is no longer accessible. I have tried 5 different console cables (even made my own). Tried 6 terminal emulators. Tried 3 different laptops, all with the same results.

I think I would be okay if I could just get the break sequence to work (even tried the "special command" in Putty).

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

System Bootstrap, Version 12.0(7)W5(15a) RELEASE SOFTWARE
Copyright (c) 2000 by cisco Systems, Inc.

ROMMON: Initializing exceptions
ROMMON: Initializing TLB
ROMMON: Initializing cache
ROMMON: Sizing and zeroing main memory ... 64 MBytes
ROMMON: Sizing non-volatile memory ... 128 KBytes

cat2948g platform with 65536 Kbytes of main memory

Self decompressing the image : ################################################################################## ################################################################################## ################################################################################## ################################# [OK]

Restricted Rights Legend

Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is
subject to restrictions as set forth in subparagraph
(c) of the Commercial Computer Software - Restricted
Rights clause at FAR sec. 52.227-19 and subparagraph
(c) (1) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer
Software clause at DFARS sec. 252.227-7013.

cisco Systems, Inc.
170 West Tasman Drive
San Jose, California 95134-1706

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
IOS (tm) L3 Switch/Router Software (CAT2948G-IN-M), Version 12.0(14)W5(20) RELEASE SOFTWARE
Copyright (c) 1986-2001 by cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Thu 01-Mar-01 17:55 by integ
Image text-base: 0x60010928, data-base: 0x605EA000

Initializing GT64120 and FX1000 Subsystem ... done.
Downloading TCAM FPGA ... done.
Initializing Switch Fabric Driver Subsystem ... done.
Initializing Temperature Monitoring Subsystem ... done.

ENABLING INTERFACES. PLEASE WAIT...

cisco Cat2948G (R5000) processor with 49152K/16384K bytes of memory.
R5000 processor, Implementation 35, Revision 2.1
Last reset from power-on
48 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
2 Gigabit Ethernet/IEEE 802.3z interface(s)
121K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
16384K bytes of processor board Boot flash (Read/Write)

--- System Configuration Dialog ---

Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]:

aryoba
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-22
kudos:4
Let's first address your question. The "Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog" question message means that either the switch is unable to find saved configuration or the switch is configured to ignore the saved configuration.

To find out, you have to go through the question by answering no. You then try to find whether there is a startup-config file in the switch flash memory. You also need to issue "show version" and look for the last line that says configuration register to locate the hex code. If the hex code is other than default which is 0x2102, then you have to set the configuration register back to default.

I can't recall whether your switch is a Hybrid model that there are both IOS and Cat OS images. When the switch is a Hybrid model, then you have to make sure that the Cat OS configuration matches whatever the IOS configuration is.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to Turbotim1
said by Turbotim1 :

"Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]:".

I've always taken that to mean "no running config can be found," but aryoba points out a valid point that it could be
skipping the config file.

You'll have to answer yes/no to the subsequent questions... there isn't a way to "break out" of them.

Regards

Turbotim1

join:2013-04-09
Thanks guys, but unfortunately "At this point it will not accept any keyboard commands at all".

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
Can you get into rommon mode?

Turbotim1

Hi DarkLogix, unfortunately not, it seems as though the "CTRL-Break" sequence doesn't work, although i'm not sure if I am using the correct combination of keys. (I could never get the "CTRL-Break" sequence to work even when the device was operating correctly).

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
kudos:1
said by Turbotim1:

Hi DarkLogix, unfortunately not, it seems as though the "CTRL-Break" sequence doesn't work, although i'm not sure if I am using the correct combination of keys. (I could never get the "CTRL-Break" sequence to work even when the device was operating correctly).

ensure your terminal emulation program doesn't have a different keystroke combination.
hyper-term is ctrl-break, but things like tera-term or putty may differ.

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

aryoba
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-22
kudos:4
reply to Turbotim1
For newer machines running Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7 using Hyperterminal with no BREAK key available on the keyboard, try to use PAUSE key instead. Therefore instead of issuing CTRL-BREAK combination key, try to issue CTRL-PAUSE combination key instead.

You can also check out following Cisco online documentation to show how issue Break command to enter ROMMON prompt.
»www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/···1e.shtml

markysharkey
Premium
join:2012-12-20
united kingd
reply to tubbynet
In Tera Term the break command is CTRL B
--
Binary is as easy as 01 10 11

Turbotim1

Thanks Guys,
None of the break sequences suggested seem to work, does anyone out there have a CISCO 2948G-L3 any can let me know which break-sequence works for them please?

techsup1983

join:2013-03-23
Expand your moderator at work

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5
reply to aryoba

Re: CISCO Catalyst 2948G-L3 no keystrokes in console

I believe Break and Pause keys are the same thing, perhaps it has gone through a rename at some stage.

On my keyboard, that particular key has both words on it.

Pause
-------
Break

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
Ya its pause and becomes break when control is held

Just like print screen becomes sysrq when control is held (though I think sysrq has been re done to now be print window)

Or maybe I have the modifier wrong
--
»www.change.org/petitions/create-···imcity-4