uniqs

Savious
Premium Member
join:2012-03-05
Billings, MT

Savious

Premium Member

Re: Meeting Monday: Pay to Win, Pay to Play, Pay to Look Good

Back on topic, let me pose this question to you guys.

Since the majority of people in this forum are established in their personal lives, how much would you be willing to pay for an amazing game.

Better than WoW, LoL, MWO, Diablo 2 etc...

Im talking about the "ultimate gaming experience".

10/10 Graphics
10/10 Gameplay
10/10 Server up time
10/10 Whatever else.

In theory, this game is going to be very popular and have constant content patches, expansions, etc.. for the next 5 years. You only have to buy in for a one time price, whats your maximum?

$50?
$100?
$500?
$1000?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by Savious:

Since the majority of people in this forum are established in their personal lives, how much would you be willing to pay for an amazing game.

10/10 Graphics
10/10 Gameplay
10/10 Server up time
10/10 Whatever else.

In theory, this game is going to be very popular and have constant content patches, expansions, etc.. for the next 5 years. You only have to buy in for a one time price, whats your maximum?

$50?
$100?
$500?
$1000?

Ask TigerLord See Profile, I think he's already done this for Star Citizen.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

Jobbie to Savious

Premium Member

to Savious
I would say for me is $120ish, which is the value of a collectors edition.

Koil
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

Koil to Savious

Premium Member

to Savious
said by Savious:

$50?
$100?
$500?
$1000?

If it were truly all that, I'd probably pay $100-200 bucks for it, one time, but I'm doubting such a feat to be possible.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster

Premium Member

Depends for me. I'm hesitant to say I would pay more than $20 for a game... but my mind quickly changes when I start playing it, and when I start liking the people who made it.

After all, I must've spent about $150 on the Baldur's Gate series (bought it multiple times... first on CDs, then a second time after some were lost/broken, then at GOG, and now the Enhanced Edition...)

I said I would never pay for a f2p game... but I put $50 into MWO. I even wasted some money on stupidities by being careless and don't feel bad.

I've also dropped $50-100 at kickstarter on games that aren't even made yet, and don't feel bad.

And yet, I still say I shouldn't spend more than $20 a game... maybe $40 if it's really good game. Hell, I even bitch about $5-10 DLCs. Even Borderlands 2, that I really loved, I bitched about the damn DLCs and hate them. But on the other hand, I spent 5 times the price of BL2 and all DLCs together on other games and still would pay more. So yeah, it all changes once I start playing it.

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
I prefer not to say how much I spent on SC until it is released. If it's a huge flop the real number can never be known.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

EUS

Premium Member

Should've stayed in med school......
I kid, I kid.

Savious
Premium Member
join:2012-03-05
Billings, MT

Savious to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
said by TigerLord:

I prefer not to say how much I spent on SC until it is released. If it's a huge flop the real number can never be known.

SC?

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord

Star Citizen

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to Savious

MVM

to Savious
said by Savious:

10/10 Graphics
10/10 Gameplay
10/10 Server up time
10/10 Whatever else.

$50?
$100?
$500?
$1000?

I look at it in terms of time investment. I have invested hundreds of hours playing Battlefield 3 so for the $80 I spent on that game plus the premium pack, its well worth it.

Then I have Dead Space 3 which I finished in about 12 hours in single player at $60. I am replaying it again on the hardest difficulty.

Far Cry 3 I have sunk 23 hours into so far and I bought it for $35 on sale on Steam over Christmas. Then i have Skyrim with over 100 hours so far and I have had that for over a year and a half.

I typically value my time at about $2 an hour. So if I can get a game and really enjoy it for about 20-30 hours I am happy. Heck, if I go out to eat with friends, it costs me $30-$40 and I am only there for 2-4 hours.

So the answer to your question would depend on the time investment. If its something that is like Skyrim, except better, then I would probably pay $80-$100 for it as a one time fee.

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

$2/hr? Sheeesh....I've got some work around the house you can do for me....I'll even give you a raise.

$2.50/hr.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by Koil:

$2/hr? Sheeesh....I've got some work around the house you can do for me....I'll even give you a raise.

$2.50/hr.

I was talking about my entertainment factor. I wouldn't do work for that amount. For you, my going rate is about $100 an hour.

saillaw
Premium Member
join:2007-05-08
Dismay

saillaw to Savious

Premium Member

to Savious
said by Savious:

10/10 Graphics
10/10 Gameplay
10/10 Server up time
10/10 Whatever else.

$50?
$100?
$500?
$1000?

The game I have spent the most money and time on by far, is WoW. I've been playing since November 2004. Much of that time I had two accounts.

Lets look what I approximately have spent on that for just one account.

Purchased collector's editions:
Vanilla 100
BC 100
Wrath 100
Cata 100
Panda 100

So ~$500 for the game

Monthly fees: 101 months x $15 = 1515

So total = $2015 or $19.95/month

That does not include race changes, server transfers, in game pet and mount purchases, upgraded hardware, my second and third accounts, guild website contributions, etc.

So if your game could really deliver for 5 years, it should be worth at least $20/mo x 60 = 1200. So I guess I would have to say I'd pay $1000 in your scenario.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

That's some pretty brutal honesty right there.

saillaw
Premium Member
join:2007-05-08
Dismay

saillaw

Premium Member

I'm raw like that

I know others who have spent a lot more than that, particularly guys who buy gold and accounts or do serious multi-boxing.

In truth, I probably should have quit wow about half way through wraith. I haven't loved it in a long time. I need to get off my ass and cancel that recurring subscription for this game I'm not playing!

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

My regret doesn't go as far. The faction/server changes to Mal'Ganis were worth twice what I paid in terms of enjoyment, but I should have cancelled in Cataclysm. LFR made raiding more accessible but cheapened the whole experience. I don't think I've enjoyed raiding since ICC. Non-LFR Deathwing was fun, but that's about the only high-point since LK. My annual pass is up at the end of the month, and I'm paid through the end of May, so I will be cancelling then. As it is I haven't even logged on since the patch.