All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

shmee
join:2005-04-03
Phoenixville, PA

shmee

what happened to the old fios speed test?

i've always had the following url bookmarked:

»speedtest.verizon.com/fios300/

this now redirects to:

»my.verizon.com/services/ ··· eedtest/

the old speed test went by region, and i could select "mid-atlantic" for the pennsylvania area. the old speed test consistently (and by consistently i mean day-in and day-out for months on end) would show me roughly 80/39 for my 75/35 plan (i have tv as well and get some fluff).

now this new speed test only lets me select a few specific servers. it defaults to the reston, va server (since that's probably the closest to me geographically), and now i'm getting more like 75 to 77 down, but still seeing the 39 up.

obviously, i can't complain since i'm still getting more than my advertised download speed, but i'm just curious here... what gives with the new site? i can no longer get totally accurate results. i'm betting i can still top out at 80 down, but i can't find a server to prove it.

i've tried speedtest.net as well. again, i can't find a server that's geographically close enough to give me accurate results. the best i can do is a server in jersey that gives me the same results as the new verizon speed test.

oh yeah, forgot to note i'm in the philly area.

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

Times change, and the Verizon speedtest site needs to change....

There is nothing that different in terms of functionality - mainly cosmetic changes.
JohnGalt21
join:2012-12-14
Ridgefield, NJ

JohnGalt21 to shmee

to shmee
Did you try new york servers? I'm in NJ, and my best speeds come from NYC locations when using speedtest....
knarf829
join:2007-06-02

knarf829 to nycdave

to nycdave
It doesn't use Java anymore, which I appreciate because I won't install Java on my computers.

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

There is a link to the old NDT site which still requires Java.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

said by nycdave:

There is a link to the old NDT site which still requires Java.

Dave, I can't see the link. What is the NDT site url?

Oops. N/M. Found it. »my.verizon.com/services/ ··· Ndt.aspx