spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Nathan
@comcastbusiness.net

Nathan

Anon

How to Configure Two ISPs/ One Switch

We have a Westell 7500 DSL modem from Verizon and a SMCD3G Comcast cable modem for our Internet service. Currently, we have the Comcast modem connected to a Netgear 48 port GS748TPS switch for our internet service. Since it is slower, we use the Verizon DSL connection over WiFi strictly as a backup, if we are experiencing problems with the Comcast line. The Verizon DSL router is not connected to a hub/switch. What we would like to do is to connect the DSL line to the same Netgear switch as the Comcast router as a backup Internet connection, but I'm not sure how to go about this. I found a thread from five years ago here: »2 Gateways 2 ISPs 2 Routers 1 Network that seemed to be asking a similar question, but I'm wondering if things have changed since then. We are not worried about load balancing at the moment: just redundancy.

Also, ideally we would want the switch over to the secondary Internet connection to happen without any user intervention. Do we need a dual WAN router to accomplish this? If this has already been answered somewhere, I'd appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction. We don't have a network person on staff, so the simplest, most straight-forward approach would be best.

Thanks

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

1 recommendation

billaustin

MVM

There should be some threads to read in here somewhere. But, yes, you just need a dual-wan router. They can be setup for load balancing or fail-over. The transfer usually is not immediate, but requires no intervention to complete. There are several models available. The Netgear FVS336 is the only one I have worked with.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to Nathan

MVM

to Nathan
Get the dual wan router... it's alot less hassle that way. Check this forum's FAQ for a listing of devices you could check out.

Regards

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

That list is woefully out of date.
Do you have a budget??
tomdlgns
Premium Member
join:2003-03-21

tomdlgns to Nathan

Premium Member

to Nathan
i am doing this with a comcast cable (primary) and an at&t t1 (secondary).

it went down a few times last week, switched over to the t1 line and nobody noticed (how it should be).

when the primary, comcast, came back online, it became the main connection.

i am using a sonicwall nsa 2300, which might be overkill for you, but i didnt see any specs.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to Anav

MVM

to Anav
The original list yes, hence why I had that feedback item added.

Regards