egeek84
Premium Member
join:2011-07-28
Livermore, CA

egeek84

Premium Member

[X1] having an annoying problem

Hey guys,
i've noticed a really annoying problem that started happening like a couple weeks ago. Basically, as i'm watching a program, whether DVR or Live TV, the sound will cut in and out. It's a quick 1 second cut out but it's frequent and annoying enough where I notice it.

My TV is a 55 inch Samsung led but the sound is going through a Samsung soundbar. I also am a X1 owner.

Has anyone had this sort of issue before either with the X1 or another cable box? At first I thought it might just be that specific channel having issues but noticed it happens on all channels. I was watching Game of Thrones last night and counted it happening like 4 times throughout the show and it was very annoying.

Any insight would be appreciated, cheers
-Emil
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

What happens if you reboot the DVR?

How is it connected to the soundbar? HDMI, optical, analog stereo?

egeek84
Premium Member
Livermore, CA

egeek84

Premium Member

said by SpHeRe31459:

What happens if you reboot the DVR?

How is it connected to the soundbar? HDMI, optical, analog stereo?

yes it does but actually i just noticed something. My soundbar has two hdmi, two optical. The optical ports had their little plastic holder things broken off easily when i had first bought it and ever since, when connecting the audio cables to the ports, it is very sensitive and the cables easily fall out of place. I'm thinking maybe that's what's causing this issue. I checked and they were both already secured in place but I went ahead and did my best to re plug them in. So far so good but I will post again if the problem persists.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

EGeek-
I have witnessed the same thing w/ my X1. It's random - but has happened more often in the past few weeks.

I'm connected from X1 - Pioneer Receiver - TV - all by HDMI.

egeek84
Premium Member
Livermore, CA

egeek84

Premium Member

said by SeattleMatt:

EGeek-
I have witnessed the same thing w/ my X1. It's random - but has happened more often in the past few weeks.

oh good i thought it was only me!

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to egeek84

MVM

to egeek84
If you rewind back a bit, does it repeat the audio cutout at the same spot?

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA

gate1975mlm to egeek84

Premium Member

to egeek84
said by egeek84:

Hey guys,
i've noticed a really annoying problem that started happening like a couple weeks ago. Basically, as i'm watching a program, whether DVR or Live TV, the sound will cut in and out. It's a quick 1 second cut out but it's frequent and annoying enough where I notice it.

My TV is a 55 inch Samsung led but the sound is going through a Samsung soundbar. I also am a X1 owner.

Has anyone had this sort of issue before either with the X1 or another cable box? At first I thought it might just be that specific channel having issues but noticed it happens on all channels. I was watching Game of Thrones last night and counted it happening like 4 times throughout the show and it was very annoying.

-Emil

Same issue here!

Happens with either HDMI or Optical cable hooked up to my Denon Receiver. the sound cuts off for like 1 second at random times. I really can't stand it and I hope it can be fixed.

I also noticed most TV Programs are not coming though my speakers in Dolby D 5.1. Instead I am only getting sound from the front speakers

I never had these sound issues with my older Comcast DVR box!
gate1975mlm

gate1975mlm to andyross

Premium Member

to andyross
said by andyross:

For me no the sound does not cut off if I rewind to the same spot.

It's very random.
gate1975mlm

gate1975mlm

Premium Member

I am also still getting a lot of freezing issues on all 3 of my X1 boxes!

Really getting tired of all these bugs!

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

I'll take 2 of your boxes

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

1 edit

gate1975mlm

Premium Member

said by mikedz4:

I'll take 2 of your boxes

Trust me with all the bugs these X1 boxes have you are better off waiting until they get much more stable
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

4 edits

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

You guys aren't alone:
»forums.comcast.com/t5/Xf ··· /1553787
quote:
I am having the exact same issue - most of the time (not all of the time) the x1 resets back to 720p AND resets the audio back to stereo - the only way to fix is to go to Settings and change video display to 1080p AND set audio to surround - this is quite frustrating since I need to do this 4-5 times per week. I am running the X1 into a Denon AVR 4311 receiver via an HDMI cable for sound and picture. One can tell that the unit is truly resetting itself since changing back to 1080p and setting the sound to Surround produces a noticeable difference in sound (I can see 5 channels coming into the Denon vs 2) and the picture on my TV improves - thanks
The issue seems to be similar to the one that plagues a lot of Motorola set-top box owners with HDMI connections and video resolution settings when connected through a receiver. There's never been an official solution to the issue. Denon AVRs are especially notorious for being problematic with the Moto cable boxes when using HDMI. A possible workaround is to use an active HDMI splitter between the receiver and the TV, more info here: »[STB] HDMI resets to 720p

Moto DVRs didn't have audio issues nearly as much since there was a hidden setup menu that could force the audio options. Apparently no such option exists in the Pace XG1 (AKA "X1 DVR").

On other Pace set-top boxes there's an option to disable the auto detect of HDMI audio properties. But it doesn't seem like that's exposed (and/or available) on the XG1. You can see what I'm talking about on page 15 of the RNG110 manual: »www.pace.com/Documents/M ··· ator.pdf

If one of you guys has (or is willing to get) component video cables you can try using component instead of HDMI for video and running optical/coaxial digital audio, this would eliminate any handshake (auto-detection of audio/video capabilities) issues with HDMI. Component carries an HD signal, so there's no real downside, unless you care about the random few 3D channels. This is the common workaround that Motorola users have been told to do.
SpHeRe31459

2 edits

SpHeRe31459 to egeek84

Premium Member

to egeek84
@egeek84 you still didn't specify how you're connected to the soundbar. Is it via HDMI or optical?

If the issue is like the Motorola one, connecting HDMI directly to TV for video and optical to the soundbar should help.
SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

Also, has anyone with an X1 DVR tried to see if there is in fact a hidden setup menu like other Pace boxes have?

Putting your set-top into user settings mode
1. Make sure that your set-top is turned on (POWER light is green).
2. Press the POWER button on your remote control (POWER light goes off), then press the Menu button.
You should see the USER SETTINGS menu
3. When you have finished making changes press the POWER button to remove the USER SETTINGS menu and return to normal viewing.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut
join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

FifthE1ement to egeek84

to egeek84
I get audio dropouts on my DCX3400 if I use audio via HDMI every time I seem to press the remote. It's usually one quick dropout and then a longer two beep type dropout. It usually happens after rewinding or other time shift. It doesn't happen when I use the optical directly to my surround receiver. Also it's not my receiver or audio equipment and it only happens on the DCX3400 box. My TV is also a 2011 Samsung Plasma. But again it never happens on video games or bluray.

5th

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

to SpHeRe31459
Doesnt work.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

Since you didn't include a quote to tell me which post you're replying to, I assume you mean about the hidden setup menu?

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Yeah - sorry - Fifth got his post in right before me! Otherwise it would've made more sense.

egeek84
Premium Member
Livermore, CA

egeek84 to andyross

Premium Member

to andyross
said by andyross:

ooh good question, i should have tried that out. If it happens again I will do that.
egeek84

egeek84 to gate1975mlm

Premium Member

to gate1975mlm
said by gate1975mlm:

said by egeek84:

Hey guys,

-Emil

Same issue here!

Happens with either HDMI or Optical cable hooked up to my Denon Receiver. the sound cuts off for like 1 second at random times. I really can't stand it and I hope it can be fixed.

I also noticed most TV Programs are not coming though my speakers in Dolby D 5.1. Instead I am only getting sound from the front speakers

I never had these sound issues with my older Comcast DVR box!

Did you go into device settings and change the audio from stereo to surround? Also not every program broadcasts in 5.1
egeek84

egeek84 to SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

to SpHeRe31459
said by SpHeRe31459:

@egeek84 you still didn't specify how you're connected to the soundbar. Is it via HDMI or optical?

If the issue is like the Motorola one, connecting HDMI directly to TV for video and optical to the soundbar should help.

Sorry, it's optical.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut
join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

FifthE1ement to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
said by SeattleMatt:

Yeah - sorry - Fifth got his post in right before me! Otherwise it would've made more sense.

Stop blaming me for your inadequacies, lol.

5th
novanosis
join:2011-02-21

novanosis to SpHeRe31459

to SpHeRe31459
While the box is on ....

1. Hold exit for 5 seconds
2. press the down arrow twice
3. press the 2 button
novanosis

novanosis to SpHeRe31459

to SpHeRe31459
said by SpHeRe31459:

Also, has anyone with an X1 DVR tried to see if there is in fact a hidden setup menu like other Pace boxes have?

Putting your set-top into user settings mode
1. Make sure that your set-top is turned on (POWER light is green).
2. Press the POWER button on your remote control (POWER light goes off), then press the Menu button.
You should see the USER SETTINGS menu
3. When you have finished making changes press the POWER button to remove the USER SETTINGS menu and return to normal viewing.

Forgot to quote you sorry.

Hold exit for 5 seconds then press the down arrow twice then press the 2 button
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

said by novanosis:

Hold exit for 5 seconds then press the down arrow twice then press the 2 button

That gets you into the extra setup menu? Is it like the other Pace boxes?
novanosis
join:2011-02-21

novanosis

No that's the diagnostics menu, have not heard if they even have a user setting menu like the moto/pace boxes with iGuide.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to SeattleMatt

MVM

to SeattleMatt
said by SeattleMatt:

EGeek-

FYI - Saw this post on the Comcast Support forum that could explain the HDMI audio issues then using an A/V receiver between the XG1 and the TV:

quote:
From screenname137:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GoodOmens wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PAIRdoc wrote:

... the Surround is changing back to Stereo (i.e., 2.0 PCM) despite still indicating Surround as the selected option. I must change it to Stereo and then back to Surround to get proper Dolby Digital via the HDMI connection to my Integra receiver. ...

I'm having this exact same issue in regards to audio. ...

I have my box connected directly to my reciever, a Anthem MRX300, which is then connected to my TV via HDMI.

My theory on this is that it is an HDMI handshake problem where the cablebox goes to AVR (5.1) to TV (2.0). I think HDMI reports back to the cable box that the TV can only do 2.0 regardless of the intermediate AVR. Users not using HDMI all the way through the chain probably don't have the issue; for example, those using Component video to the TV or Optical audio to the AVR, perhaps.

To test this, I put a Gefen HDMI Detective set (»www.gefen.com/kvm/ext-hd ··· _id=8005) at a hard coded EDID of 5.1/1080i immediately after the cable box and before my AVR. The idea was that the X1 would always see an EDID that supported 5.1. So far this has worked - overnight, while repowering the X1, and after restarting the X1. I'll keep an eye on it, but I think this was the issue and is solved by the Gefen Box - not cheap though - more of a test device - and it would be nice if the X1 box would simply retain the customer settings without trying to be so clever.

SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

1 edit

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

That fits with what I suggested earlier in the thread.

This seems to be very similar to infamous Motorola cable box HDMI issues.

The fix there actually involves a pretty cheap device. Just get an inexpensive powered 2-port HDMI switch and put it in between the TV and the receiver. No need to use the 2nd port for switching, you just need an active device in the chain. It helps keep the proper EDID alive. At least with Moto boxes putting it between the cable box and receiver actually made it worse. So people may need to experiment with these new Pace boxes.

It's a really cheap fix, so I hope someone tries it out.

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

gate1975mlm to egeek84

Premium Member

to egeek84
said by egeek84:

Hey guys,

-Emil

egeek84 are you still having the sound cut off issues?

I am working with X1 tech support to try and get both the Sound cutting out and Surround to Stereo issues fixed.

I have a feeling these 2 audio issues are not going to be fixed anytime soon

egeek84
Premium Member
Livermore, CA

egeek84

Premium Member

said by gate1975mlm:

said by egeek84:

Hey guys,

-Emil

egeek84 are you still having the sound cut off issues?

I am working with X1 tech support to try and get both the Sound cutting out and Surround to Stereo issues fixed.

I have a feeling these 2 audio issues are not going to be fixed anytime soon

Hey bud, yeah I am. I actually switched from an optical cable to a straight HDMI cable from the box to my receiver. I've noticed the issue still occuring. It doesn't happen as often as it used to but I still notice it so the problem isn't fully gone.