Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to egeek84

Premium Member

to egeek84

Re: [X1] having an annoying problem

EGeek-
I have witnessed the same thing w/ my X1. It's random - but has happened more often in the past few weeks.

I'm connected from X1 - Pioneer Receiver - TV - all by HDMI.

egeek84
Premium Member
join:2011-07-28
Livermore, CA

egeek84

Premium Member

said by SeattleMatt:

EGeek-
I have witnessed the same thing w/ my X1. It's random - but has happened more often in the past few weeks.

oh good i thought it was only me!

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to SeattleMatt

MVM

to SeattleMatt
said by SeattleMatt:

EGeek-

FYI - Saw this post on the Comcast Support forum that could explain the HDMI audio issues then using an A/V receiver between the XG1 and the TV:

quote:
From screenname137:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GoodOmens wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PAIRdoc wrote:

... the Surround is changing back to Stereo (i.e., 2.0 PCM) despite still indicating Surround as the selected option. I must change it to Stereo and then back to Surround to get proper Dolby Digital via the HDMI connection to my Integra receiver. ...

I'm having this exact same issue in regards to audio. ...

I have my box connected directly to my reciever, a Anthem MRX300, which is then connected to my TV via HDMI.

My theory on this is that it is an HDMI handshake problem where the cablebox goes to AVR (5.1) to TV (2.0). I think HDMI reports back to the cable box that the TV can only do 2.0 regardless of the intermediate AVR. Users not using HDMI all the way through the chain probably don't have the issue; for example, those using Component video to the TV or Optical audio to the AVR, perhaps.

To test this, I put a Gefen HDMI Detective set (»www.gefen.com/kvm/ext-hd ··· _id=8005) at a hard coded EDID of 5.1/1080i immediately after the cable box and before my AVR. The idea was that the X1 would always see an EDID that supported 5.1. So far this has worked - overnight, while repowering the X1, and after restarting the X1. I'll keep an eye on it, but I think this was the issue and is solved by the Gefen Box - not cheap though - more of a test device - and it would be nice if the X1 box would simply retain the customer settings without trying to be so clever.

SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

1 edit

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

That fits with what I suggested earlier in the thread.

This seems to be very similar to infamous Motorola cable box HDMI issues.

The fix there actually involves a pretty cheap device. Just get an inexpensive powered 2-port HDMI switch and put it in between the TV and the receiver. No need to use the 2nd port for switching, you just need an active device in the chain. It helps keep the proper EDID alive. At least with Moto boxes putting it between the cable box and receiver actually made it worse. So people may need to experiment with these new Pace boxes.

It's a really cheap fix, so I hope someone tries it out.