jawz
Woohoo For Broadband
Premium Member
join:2002-02-18
Chicago, IL

jawz

Premium Member

Re: [Connectivity] TFTP server down in Chicago

So I posted over on the comcast forums and I got a "not much we can do to help you, call 1-800-COMCAST" as a response. Does anyone know if there's someone I can twitter or PM here or at comcast that can help? I will just call and cancel service and go back to RCN because I can't handle this kind of support and downtime. I'd rather just go back to RCN instead of wait for a tech to come out and walk around my place needlessly and tell me they have to replace my modem.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by jawz:

So I posted over on the comcast forums and I got a "not much we can do to help you, call 1-800-COMCAST" as a response. Does anyone know if there's someone I can twitter or PM here or at comcast that can help? I will just call and cancel service and go back to RCN because I can't handle this kind of support and downtime. I'd rather just go back to RCN instead of wait for a tech to come out and walk around my place needlessly and tell me they have to replace my modem.

You did not previously mention that your Internet connection was down. A failed firmware upgrade does not necessarily mean that your modem is not usable (although perhaps if yours is not functional, you made that assumption).

Has this modem ever worked on your Comcast connection, or are you trying to activate a modem on Comcast that previously worked on RCN?

Have you tried clicking on the [Reset All Defaults] button in your modem's Configuration page (I will assume that you can still access the modem's admin pages based on other information you have posted)? That (along with a power cycle after doing the reset) might force your modem to request a new config file from Comcast and get you (back?) on-line.

jawz
Woohoo For Broadband
Premium Member
Chicago, IL

jawz

Premium Member

The modem is connected, just no packets are flowing. It worked on comcast no problem for three months until Sunday morning when this began happening. All signals and connections are up, even the status says operational, just no packet data flows because of the bag config file. I wish there were a way to reprovision.

I have been power cycling, resetting defaults, leaving modem off for four to eight hours at a time, nothing fixes this TFTP config file issue.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

Try asking a rep to perform a *roll and re-provision / APT push* of the modem.

jawz
Woohoo For Broadband
Premium Member
Chicago, IL

jawz

Premium Member

Thanks EG, will do and report back when I get home. I was thinking re-provision but I hadn't gotten around to that yet, as I haven't been home at a reasonable hour today yet.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

Specifically mention the "APT push". Some of the reps seem to understand this better.

Good luck with it !

jawz
Woohoo For Broadband
Premium Member
Chicago, IL

jawz

Premium Member

Got a tier one tech named Dave who knew what boot files are and he reprovisioned my modem and then found out there was a major hsd voice and video outage in my area. So i guess i wait til wed night.
jawz

jawz

Premium Member

Well if anyone's curious the error is still occurring after reprovisioning the modem via removing and readding it to the database. I called comcast and cancelled all service. Rcn will be out tomorrow evening to install. Wish i could've solved this mystery but when you have a choice in cable providers wired to your basement and free install and new subscriber savings, there's no time to troubleshoot the broken network. Close thread.
jawz

jawz

Premium Member

Click for full size
Take a look at this. Seems TFTP server not down at all, in fact just pushing the wrong config file. My firmware is still at

Model Name: SB6120
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.10-SCM00-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot 1.0.0.4m1
Hardware Version: 3.0
Firmware Build Time: Oct 29 2012 18:07:13

Sucks because I told the good tech that the server was pushing the wrong config file and it continued all the way to the end. Ah well.